Heated Mitts / Gloves Question

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChrisB

Reaction score
Any of youse have experience using battery-powered heated gloves or mitts?

My wife gets really cold hands alpine skiing and Christmas is coming.

Online reviews are all over the place for heated gear, so that's why I ask.

Thanks.

Thanks.
What brand and model? I have used heated ski boots but not gloves or mitts. The boot heaters worked pretty good. The best advice I can give from that experience is monitoring battery life. I believe a lot of this technology incorporates Bluetooth and an app now where you can access settings. This is a good feature as you don’t want to run the heaters all out all day. At least in my situation the batteries would not last that long. The technology I had at the time was before apps. The unit had 3-4 heat settings which was located through a switch on the battery pack on the back of the ski boot. Definitely a bit of a body bend and twist to play with that switch.

Thanks.

Another option is hand warmers. You can buy boxes of them relatively cheap and just use the gloves or mittens you have, less chance of failure.

Another option is hand warmers. You can buy boxes of them relatively cheap and just use the gloves or mittens you have, less chance of failure.

Yep, she uses hand warmers regularly. But I thought I might bring her into the 21st century with heated gear.

Unfortunately most is made "off shore" and quality / durability seems to be an issue for many brands.

Thanks.
After getting frostbite on all 10 of my fingers on Denali this past May I picked up a pair of OR Prevail heated gloves. Will report back later this winter after testing them and my newly cold-sensitive fingers once colder weather arrives.

After getting frostbite on all 10 of my fingers on Denali this past May I picked up a pair of OR Prevail heated gloves. Will report back later this winter after testing them and my newly cold-sensitive fingers once colder weather arrives.

Ouch! Will look forward to your report. In meantime I ordered a pair of Volt mitts for her. We'll see how they perform.

BTW: We lived at Gibbet Hill Farm in Groton from 1980 to 1889. Was a working Angus breeding farm in those days and we loved it.

Battery management would be interesting on an extended climb. Battery Duration: 2.5 hours at high heat setting, 5 hours medium heat, 8 hours low heat. I would also be interested just how warm these gloves are when the battery dies. Sorry to hear about your frostbite. Hope you get a system that works for you.

Ouch! Will look forward to your report. In meantime I ordered a pair of Volt mitts for her. We'll see how they perform.

BTW: We lived at Gibbet Hill Farm in Groton from 1980 to 1889. Was a working Angus breeding farm in those days and we loved it.
1980 to 1889.....I THINK YOUR FLUX CAPACITOR NEEDS ADJUSTMENT!

Very cool--our favorite spot around!

Ouch! Will look forward to your report.
Thanks--maybe next summer after the next visit. Turning around a few hundred feet below the summit and flying off the mountain from 17k in a helicopter the next day gnaws at me 6 months later...but nonetheless obviously very glad to have all my digits.

Battery management would be interesting on an extended climb. Battery Duration: 2.5 hours at high heat setting, 5 hours medium heat, 8 hours low heat. I would also be interested just how warm these gloves are when the battery dies. Sorry to hear about your frostbite. Hope you get a system that works for you.

I agree and share the same concerns about taking them on a bigger climb. But depending on the heat output they could serve a purpose in the quiver. The more probable solution and economic option is bigger gloves with handwarmers plus warm mitts as a backup.

Last edited:
Very cool--our favorite spot around!

Thanks--maybe next summer after the next visit. Turning around a few hundred feet below the summit and flying off the mountain from 17k in a helicopter the next day gnaws at me 6 months later...but nonetheless obviously very glad to have all my digits.

I agree and share the same concerns about taking them on a bigger climb. But depending on the heat output they could serve a purpose in the quiver. The more probable solution and economic option is bigger gloves with handwarmers plus warm mitts as a backup.
Yep. I have small hands and I wear XXL Mitts.

I bought a pair of Serius heated mitts for dh area skiing last winter and found that I could get a 7+ hr day at medium heat without recharging. Problem that I found was little fingers would get cold because there is stupidly not a separate heated wire for that finger; perhaps I should have bought the heated gloves instead, assuming that each finger has a heated wire. I found chemical heat packs in OR mitts fine except for my thumbs, although hiking, xc skiing, and skinning usually provided enough heat to compensate. I paid over $400 for my heated mitts even after my SAR discount.

Edit: I misspelled Seirus above. The model is Innovation 3000 Ultra. A pair of 7.4 V 300 mAh 22.2 Wh Li-ion batteries tightly fit in the wrist pocket on each mitt or glove. At 125 grams (>1/4 pound) for each battery pair, the weight is not trivial on your wrist. I could see carpal tunnel syndrome happening with overuse.

Last edited:
I went with Volt heated mittens. She's used em once so far and loves them.

Batts took a long time to fully charge and ran full bore for an hour on High w no problems.

I'll post more as we use them.

We finally received some weather this weekend worthy of challenging the new heated gloves. I wore the OR Prevail heated glove without liners yesterday for about 5 hours ice climbing in -15F weather. The low setting kept my hands warm all day and at one point I accidentally bumped one of the gloves up to high and my hands started sweating. They're a pricey pair of gloves but for someone with significant cold sensitivity in their fingers these things do the job.

We finally received some weather this weekend worthy of challenging the new heated gloves. I wore the OR Prevail heated glove without liners yesterday for about 5 hours ice climbing in -15F weather. The low setting kept my hands warm all day and at one point I accidentally bumped one of the gloves up to high and my hands started sweating. They're a pricey pair of gloves but for someone with significant cold sensitivity in their fingers these things do the job.
Most awesome especially with your hands over your head that much. I’m definitely taking a closer look at those.

My Brain BIOS has been flashed so much, there's now too many memory errors.

Great. But how was the dexterity handling Screws, carabiner gates and tools?

Any glove that kept my hands warm ice climbing in very cold wx made climbing a chore.