Hedgehog Mountain 11/29/08

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kevin Judy and Emma

Reaction score
16ahedgehog112908.jpg

Warm Sun

11/29/08
Hedgehog Mountain (Albany) 2532'
4.8 Miles 1450' Elevation gain
Kevin, Judy and Emma

There are so many gems in the White Mountains under 4000' and this is one we said we'd like to return to in the snow. Just wanting to get out and be in the woods. Not looking to go over 4000' in the snow unless it's going to count as a winter hike, which it won't for three more weeks, so we found ourselves back here. This is a great loop hike that offers excellent and intimate views to Bear, Table and Big Attitash Mountains, The Moats, The Sisters and Mount Chocorua, Mount Paugus and looming larger than life, Mount Passaconaway. A real feel for Passaconaway's massive size can be felt from the ledges on tiny Hedgehog.

We did the loop clockwise and as we started out in our snowshoes we found the going rather difficult as previous hikers had bare-booted through the wet snow which was a frozen mess when we traversed it. This made for difficult stepping in the shoes, but we did our best to flatten out the trail and get a good track down. Later, towards the end of the hike we met folks who had come the same way around as us and I mentioned the trail was a mess from bare-booters. Although they now had their snowshoes on they confessed to having bare-booted the east side, but I told them the frozen footprints had been made before they had come along.

Much of the first two miles is spent in the shadow of the hill, so was a little cool until we broke out onto the east ledges where the bright sun shone down and was quite warming. Moments like those spent in the warm sun standing in snow, high above the forests and surrounded by mountains while enjoying some lunch and the company of my wife and dog make the hard work and cold fingers all worthwhile. The feelings of peace, to be able to enjoy these things with no intrusions, are hard to share in words, but if you've experienced it, you know what I mean and I don't have to fumble through the words to try to explain it.

From these ledges we could look out across the Oliverian Brook Valley that separates this hill from Chocorua, Paugus and Passaconaway. Over the ridge and far to the south we could see the summit of Mount Shaw in the Ossipees where we had journeyed two weeks ago. Gazing to the southwest it is hard to get over just how huge Mount Passaconaway is. It's steep slopes seem insurmountable from this vantage and we realize that there is much untouched territory on this northeast face.

As we finished up lunch we made our way along the trail in a westerly direction that soon brought views of the Tripyramids and the higher ledges of the summit of Hedgehog. The trail winds along and descends down into a field of glacial erratics before beginning to climb again and wrapping itself around to the west side of the mountain. From here it's a nice little climb up to the summit ledges where more views of Passaconaway, the Tripyramids and the nearby Potash Mountain, sister of Hedgehog, also a great, less visited, destination.

Between us and the Tripyramids lies The Fool Killer, perhaps the best named mountain in the Whites. Over the right shoulder of The Fool Killer we can make out Mount Kancamagus and the Osceolas, their snow covered slopes shining brightly in the sun. From a point just west of the trail near the summit we can see into Carrigain Notch. Massive Mount Carrigain rises above the Sawyer River Valley with the Hancocks and The Captain flanking to the west and Vose Spur and Carrigain Notch flanking to the east. Rising from the notch is Mount Lowell, Mount Nancy and Mount Bemis. Impressive Green's Cliff lies before them on an otherwise unnamed hill. Further to the east, almost directly north of where we stand lies Mount Tremont and Owl's Cliff. Very impressive. Major views from this minor mountain.

Pics here:

http://ghostflowers.smugmug.com/gallery/6711541_sfjuA/1/428511264_LHuMJ#428540515_K4FQ8

KDT

Kevin - great! I did Hedgehog 10/06 then just did Potash this fall & they're both winners in my book!

Kevin, I did Hedgehog with my girlfriend this past Sunday, so when I saw your pictures yesterday, it was great to have such a strong memory of the day before. thanks.

There are so many gems in the White Mountains under 4000' and this is one . . . The feelings of peace, to be able to enjoy these things with no intrusions, are hard to share in words, but if you've experienced it, you know what I mean and I don't have to fumble through the words to try to explain it.
Hey guys . . . a very well written report, and awesome photos!

Also . . . agree completely with your statement about so many gems in the Whites below 4,000’. I’m certain it’s just a matter of personal taste (like black coffee vs. coffee w/cream & sugar), but in general, I think the views from lower elevation summits are more interesting than views from the 4,000’ peaks!

And, I have a theory as to why we all have to fumble through words to try to explain our experience in the mountains. My theory is that words are simply not the right tool to describe our experiences. If we were able to perform a Star Trek “mind-meld”, that might work!:)

http://www.ghostflowers.com/ A real feel for Passaconaway's massive size can be felt from the ledges on tiny Hedgehog.

KDT[/QUOTE]

That is so true..I did that hike back in Oct of 2005, and I can't forget how large Passaconaway looked.

[URL=http://outdoors.webshots.com/photo/2052937020049158222EacRre][IMG]http://inlinethumb61.webshots.com/40764/2052937020049158222S600x600Q85.jpg[/URL]

Great pictures as usual. It was nice remembering this hike. I did it after an early season dumping of snow in '05. I remember higher trails like Carrigain were impassable because of deep snow and serious tree damage, and people were skiing on Cannon for free because it wasn't open yet. I think Wildcat opened up early that year because of a ridiculous amount of snow.

grouseking

Great photos!

Love your TR and your photos! I particularly like your shots of Green's Cliff which has been on my to-do list for some time now. Nice thing about winter shooting is that it plainly shows the hardwoods vs softwoods. Virtually entire slopes to south of Greens Cliff is hardwoods. I hiked Potash last summer in hot humid partly cloudy conditions and couldn't see Greens Cliff. I downloaded copies Greens Cliff for my Green's Cliff intelligence file. Thanks! Carrigain looks so noble standing in back with dark clouds!

Thanks everyone!

Grouseking, nice shot! On my 2 trips to hedgehog this year I could not get a decent shot of Passaconaway because I was shooting straight into the sun. Washed out skies and too dark landscape. The overcast in your shot helped make a good pic.

Jazzbo, green's Cliff looks very interesting!

1HappyHiker- " My theory is that words are simply not the right tool to describe our experiences." I guess that's why I shoot too many pictures!

Grayjay, too bad we missed you by a day! Thought we were gonna see you on the Ossipees. Maybe Turtlback? It's coming up!

Peter- Need to get out with you again!

KDT

Another enjoyable photo journey! This is helping me get over my yearly blues that set in when the ground is no longer bare. The wonderful season between the leaf fall and the snow cover is so short and prescious for off-trailing.

I agree the best views of the big mountains are from the smaller mountains.

happy trails :)

Great Pics as usual..looked like a great day with those views!! :D

Looking forward to catching up for a hike soon.

sweet photos

Hey folks

Nice photos and descritions of a fun hike that I try to get in every year..OTHH usually make this one of the first spring hikes...

I also took my nephew Ben, then 5, up Hedgehog, for his first White Mt hike with Uncle Mark..he was quite impressed with the ledges and the view in your photo of Passaconaway which makes it seem so massive..Since then..on our annual August hike trips Ben, now 11, has done 14 of the 4ks...next year we will shoot for 3-5 more..

But hedgehog started it all..a great spot..Potash right next door also excellent but take the logging road in from the Kanc at the bottem..that first water crossing can be kind of tricky....

still looking for the insulated kilt for the next Ossipee trek..I suppose some in the group will have tights under their summer kilt....tu-tu style....:)