Hello from a newbie here, also a question

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Clown,
Hope you notified the Pennsylvania DEP, b/c there have been only "sightings" of the mt lion in that state and still no proof they are there.

Well, what's the big cat with a tail that sticks straight up? I wasn't hallucinating, and there is definitely, by far, plenty of un-explored woods in the section of the state I was in.

edit* There have been documented sightings in PA. The game commision chooses to close their eyes to the matter, and will not investigate them.

Last edited:
Hey clown I hope I didn't imply You didn't see what you saw. I didn't mean that. If more people report what they see, it might make them at one point investigate it. You should feel lucky to actually see one.-- Happy Trails

No biggie, I wasn't trying to snap. I didn't realize they were such a rare occurance in PA. After reading your post, I looked around and read up on it. Apparently the gaming commision will not investigate any reports and refuses to admit they are there. I guess they think maybe they are avoiding a public scare? Seems strange...

redcloud, I am glad you and your family enjoyed your bear encounter. All of my bear encounters in the Catskills and Adirondacks have been similar. Most times the bears scamper off immediately. Occasionally they give you a good curious look-over before leaving. And on a few occasions they just ignore you. Earlier this year I unintentionally stumbled within 12 feet of a small mother bear with two very small cubs, and they never even turned to look at me. I just stopped and allowed them to graze on, then I followed a bit from a greater distance until we parted ways. It was an amazing laid back experience.

When I go on midweek berry hikes in the Catskills I actually expect to see bears, and I am disappointed if I don't spot one. If anybody wants to see bears I would recommend finding a relatively unused trail with berry patches, and hike on a cool, overcast, midweek day. Bears are not generally too active during midday hours on warm/hot sunny days. If there are many hikers on a trail, chances are you will not see any bears as they generally avoid people.

An exception to that is in the Adirondacks where some bears have become aggressive at meal times and during the night at heavily used camping areas. Even then they only want your food, not you. Nor have I heard of any Adirondacks bears being aggressive toward hikers during the day while they are hiking.

So weapons are not necessary. As others have said making noise is your best bear defense. Chances are you will never need it.

When I hike in bear country, I just make sure my partner cant run as fast as me. On a serious note, Ive seen many bear never been harrased by any of them. I carry a knife on my hip belt but thats me, I know most out here think weapons are unnessary in the woods but if and when someone bothers you and no one else is around do you really want to have NOTHING to protect yourself, I sure dont.

Personal Safety

When I first got into backpacking I spent alot of my brain time worrying about things that were a waste of time, like being attacked by bears.

I have hiked and backpacked all over the NE for the last ten years and I have only seen a bear in the mountains once- that wasn't in an established campsite know for bears. I was bushwhacking and I think it came out to see who was trespassing thru it's territory. I felt privledged to have been seen, but I did not hang around, either.

Forget about a gun or a knife- do you really think that you can take down an animal of 3-400 pounds with a knife? Are you a good shot? Can you even have a gun on public land out of hunting season?

I don't think that this is an issue in this part of the country- but I am sure to see many postings concerning life and death struggles with vicious animals. There have been a few bear/people encounters ON TRAILS, one fatal (2000, SMNP) that I know of, and it is very rare.
The Moose can be touchy durning rut, and I would be wary of them. But to be frank, most animals run away when they see us coming. Now, let's talk about some of our fellow hikers.... :D

I agree a knife against a wild animal is thin for sure, but I was stalked to a very close distance in CO by a HUGE mountain Lion and while my chances of killing him where small, having a knife ready did up the odds alittle. In the Northeast its a mute point, my only concern would be homosapians and even that is of little concern.

sierra said:
I agree a knife against a wild animal is thin for sure, but I was stalked to a very close distance in CO by a HUGE mountain Lion and while my chances of killing him where small, having a knife ready did up the odds alittle. In the Northeast its a mute point, my only concern would be homosapians and even that is of little concern.

Yup, Sierra, you are certainly dealing with a different set of circumstances living and hiking in lion country.
When I was out west recently visiting friends I was totally unaware that we were in lion country until I asked them why they were keeping their very obedient dogs on leash. Then they filled me in. A knife is a good thing to carry in lion country!

Mark Schaefer said:
So weapons are not necessary. As others have said making noise is your best bear defense. Chances are you will never need it.

Chances are you'll never need it against a bear. I was once chased out of the woods (a sand pit actually) by a pack of coyote's, I'm lucky to be here, so now I carry a little something. Almost all of the time no one knows I carry it, but it's there "in case", I like slimming the odds whenever necessary.

While it's true you probably won't be attacked, I like to increase my odds as much as possible. I have seen bears on the trail, and moose, but none of these even cause my heart to beat faster, usually I try to get the camera real slow and get a picture, but should the rogue animal get rowdy, I'm ready. If you get close enough to use a knife, you're really asking for trouble.

Anyone hear of the Ranger that shot the bear in Rangeley a month or so ago?

Last edited:
When I am hiking or backpacking I like to have things that have multiple purposes. I usually have long sharp pointy things with me like trekking poles and/or an ice axe. :D Contrary to what my better half tells me, I do try to actually use my head for something besides a place to carry my hat. Using my head is the best protection I have found.