Help!!! (I need ideas!)

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flypn

Reaction score
Northern VT, currently livin' it in Juneau, AK
Howdy all,

My bud Danny is getting hitched in Ripton, VT late this may. As best man, it is for me to plan a killer bachelor party. We're looking for some quality time in the woods somewhere in VT/NH. While we're both pretty into backcountry, some of the other folks are not. I was wondering if anyone had an inspired or helpful idea. Skis, while great, are out for a few of the folks unless it was very easy terrain. I was originally thinking of heading to Kathadin to Chimney Pond(?) Cabin, but we're also fairly time-limited. He's a Littleton, NH man, I'm a Shelburne, VT fellow, and we're both (former) Johnsonites, so while most territory has been covered, in the north, something new might be nice too. Hikes, skis, bike rides, and easy/amazing paddling ideas are all in the vein of things we're looking for. The more I think about it, the more skiing seems further out, but hey, I'm used to AKan conditions. The big challenge is that I'm in AK right now, so logistical planning is proving to be difficult, as I'm way out of date as to what conditions are back there (though I hear y'all finally got the snow you deserved!). Cheers,

-Peter F.

VIVA La CASA !!

If you do go to Baxter, make sure you stop there, right on the way in Millinocket...

Anybody have a trip report of this club? I have heard rumors of this place for years, but have never heard of anyone actually going in. Are they gals in flannel doing the speed chainsaw cutting that they show on ESPN for the Great Outdoors Games?

If it is a great snow year, i would say head up to Tuckerman's Ravine and ski the headwall. Late May is really in between late ski season/mud season and summer beginning in the East. Not sure if there would be any good things to do outdoors that early in the summer. Acadia National Park can be awesome in late May if the weather is right. I had some great sunny 80 degree hiking days there in the past in May, it's a real crapshoot though. Acadia is one of the only good hiking spots before June that will not have 3 feet of mud on the ground.

flypn said:
As best man, it is for me to plan a killer bachelor party. We're looking for some quality time in the woods somewhere in VT/NH.

I have to know, how much and where do you find strippers that will ski in for a backwoods bachelor party.

Relax people I'm kidding. :D ;)

Keith

Have you been?
I went there once in college but I never inhaled-
err-- I mean I only went for research purposes.
There have been others from this site that've been there, but I won't name names...

Step away from the backpack. Put down the skis.

Pick up the paddle and point the bow toward Magalloway -- Umbagog -- Androscoggin. Bring the fishing tackle and recipes for trout and salmon. When you get bored, or you can't catch any of those, do your part to rid the waterway of invading smallmouth bass.

I know that you like to catch and/or eat fish, because you haven't told us yet that you've been run out of AK.

Whatever the backcountry experience level in your party, what's not to like about remote island camping, paddling that can get as challenging as you'd like, and paddlecraft to easily haul all the comestibles and, ahem, "beverages" that you're likely to need on the trip?

My suggestion is colored perhaps by the fact that my father arrived at his wedding in the company of his brother-in-law, slightly sunburnt and nearly late, after a (partial) day on the water. Hey, it was the opener, after all.

(And the first person to start humming that banjo tune gets a broadhead between the shoulders. ;) )

Last edited:
With Baxter, you need to send in a reservation no sooner than four months from when you want to go. They tend to fill up quick. You said late May, so if you're thinking Memorial Day weekend... well, send it in quick and have a back up plan ready. Here's a link with instructions

However, you could always stay at a campground right outside the park. There are quite a few.

You might also want to consider Acadia National Park. It'll likely be a zoo that weekend as well, but you have the added benefit of going into Bar Harbor for restaraunts, beer, and what not.

Good luck.

Why not just go up to Montreal? I have heard that you can have fun up there. You can probably pitch a tent somewhere on top of the mountain and go fishing in the river themed room in the Biodome.

OUIE. French Canadian stipper are are the best... Tres Bonne!!!!!!! the Canadian Ballet as we called it growing up on the Border!!!!!

I worked as a DJ in a Nightclub in Niagara Falls on the Canadian border for a number of years in the 80's and when the bars would close in Niagara County Ontario at midnight, all the Strippers would come over and party with us until 2AM. They were all from Quebec on some 'dancer' circuit rotation and all spoke very little English (or so they would have folks beleive)

We used to charge customers $5 to have a stripper lay on the bar and pull her shirt up and customers would do peach schnapps out of her belly button...Ooopsss... Sorry, I went way off on a tangent.
Aaaaahhhhh....memories........
Anyway enjoy your party in the woods with those Maine...ahem...Strippers. :eek:

The outdoors and drunken debautchery? Two things I excel at. :D

Actually, last June, I threw a bachelor party for my friend with same type of mixed folk: some outdoorsy, some not. We camped one night and hit Portland the next. We camped at Jigger Johnson, since the Kanc offered a number of short hike options. Then we headed to Portland for a Sea Dogs game and some...well...yeah...some of that. It was a good mix and worked well, with Portland being so close to the Whites. I'm happy to report that no one got lost in the woods or arrested.

PM me for good bar recommendations in Portland, if you're interested.

Maine...ahem...Strippers
Those were strippers at La Casa???
I thought they were 'exotic dancers'...I'd NEVER go to see strippers.

Excellent ideas, all!

Hmmm, a paddle & some inner city debauchery mix sounds excellent! sardog1, you may have hit the nail on the head with that one! Some pan-fried fish & Allagash aged, mmm, thats fine livin'. I'll do my best to live up to your uncle's legacy ;)

As for Montreal, for those of us who grew up here those fine quebecois joints have lost some of their glamor, though the bucket of beer specials are sometimes a treat! The strippers, unfortunately were the one stipulation fronted from the beginning. Additionally, we can't fit one in a dry bag, as least not in any sort of reasonable manner... creepy.

I'll check out the BSP some more, never heard of it.

Thats just enough to chew on, cheers all,

-Peter

(ps, sardog1, what agency are you working w/?, I've been operating w/Juneau Mtn. Rescue for a few years now)