Hibernating

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Artex

Reaction score
It seems that autumn is approaching fast. What's the latest time of the year that you've gone out for some serious paddling before calling it quits until spring? Just wondering what everyone's limits are so I can possibly gauge my own.

I remember being pretty played out by the end of Oct last year for the folliage season and then pehaps around Thanksgiving time.
I'm going to pay closer attention this year.
I didn't resolve how to keep my hands warm in the colder temps,though I've tried a few ideas.
Hopefully I'll be kayaking till snowshoe season and then swap over to that.

Last year I stopped mid to end of October, around when the water dipped to the mid 50's. This year with a "cheap" drysuit from STP I'll likely be doing some paddling through the winter. Here, practically, with a wet suit it's usually November before the water is too cold.

Some places actually have dates... the lakes in Harriman S.P. are like that... April 15th to Nov 1st or so. Of course, that goes along with the gazillion of other regulations they have.

By fall, I'm typically hiking and biking, just because I start to enjoy hiking more... But I would think the lakes near me would be relatively safe til mid october with perhaps the occasional drytop or paddling jacket use.

Jay

Probably around October. Once daylight savings time kicks in it gets harder to get out and paddle during the weeknights like I usually like to do during the summer. Although somethings gotta be said for paddling in the crisp and cold late fall air in the dark. Ahhh...

It depends on the water and can vary year to year. During a warm year, the ocean on the South Coast of Mass can stay warm enough to swim in with just a bathing suit up until October. A wetsuit will push that until late October. Now if you are North of Cape Cod or if it is a cold or rainly year, then all bets are off.

However, like cbcbd said once the time change happens then no more weekday kayaking and fall weekends are made for hiking. So with a farmer john wetsuit I could paddle til November, but due to hiking, mtn biking, and Patriots football I am usually done kayaking by early - mid October.

I have friends that use dry suits and paddle year round, but it's not for me. I don't want anything to do with the water in winter.

- darren

I conclude my paddling season with a local foliage river paddle in mid-late October. Have neoprene shorts and t but not a fan of cold water ... prefer to hike then with the leaves off the trees and brisk air.

darren said:
It depends on the water and can vary year to year. During a warm year, the ocean on the South Coast of Mass can stay warm enough to swim in with just a bathing suit up until October. A wetsuit will push that until late October. Now if you are North of Cape Cod or if it is a cold or rainly year, then all bets are off.

However, like cbcbd said once the time change happens then no more weekday kayaking and fall weekends are made for hiking. So with a farmer john wetsuit I could paddle til November, but due to hiking, mtn biking, and Patriots football I am usually done kayaking by early - mid October.

I have friends that use dry suits and paddle year round, but it's not for me. I don't want anything to do with the water in winter.

- darren

Is there winter in Hawaii??

My mom lives further south here in MI, but it's still plenty cold and snowy. She used to go for a paddle every new year's day. :eek: She generally paddled a river, I think she might have gone in once.

Most of the water is frozen over up here by then, so even if I wanted to... but I don't think I would.

My journal for January 2006 says I went out on the Hudson River 3 times. Typical entry: "Sunny, calm, peaceful."
You have to pick your days.

We bought our kayaks in March a few years ago and couldn't wait to use them. After spending a day downhill skiing we launched our kayaks off of a snow bank into the river the following morning. It was so beautiful. A strong snow squall hit but our only exposed skin was our faces so we were snug, warm, dry, and able to just totally enjoy the beauty of it. We didn't have dry-suits yet (we do now) but it was flat water and we felt okay about it.

Always consider the possibility of getting dumped into the water and dress appropriately. Sometimes this means dry-suits and insulating layers underneath.

We have a small beach on a small NH pond that is connected to streams, larger ponds, lakes and rivers that would allow you to paddle for more miles than I've tried to tally, without a portage. My kayaking season ends when our small pond ices over, which is usually sometime in December.

My favorite place to paddle is a twisting thread of a stream through a marsh navigable only by a nimble little kayak like mine, and then only with considerable body English and hauling myself over small beaver dams. It leads to a gem of a little round pond frequented by heron and overlooked by nearby ledges. To be there in a gentle December snowfall is to experience magical solitude.

I don't enjoy being cold, but that has not been an issue on my my late-season paddles since I bought a Mountain Surf two-piece "whitewater suit" about five years ago. It is a little like a diving drysuit, but far less cumbersome. Made of nylon and neoprene, it has tight velcro "gaskets" at neck, wrists, ankles and waist and a very tight-clinching belt. Wearing it with neoprene gloves (which I finally got right on my third pair) and booties and my sprayskirt, I've never gotten wet, from the neck down, and you can wear as many layers underneath as you like - I don't find much to be required.

Dumping is not a significant risk on these waters. I've never done it, at least. Before the Mountain Surf suit, I sometimes used my diving wetsuit for late-season paddles, with less satisfactory results.

We paddle in March every year.Of course we're in the Carribbean-does that count? :D
Actually,October usually winds the season down,and I'm ready for backpacking season.

year-round

we paddle year round on open water we can find in upstate NY. But only when air temps, sun, no wind make it desirable to do so. No desire to be completely freezing out there, air temp-wise.

However, the water temps could pretty much kill us if immersed. So, our group all wear dry suits, proper gloves, hats. We stay close to shore and have extensively practiced cold-water rescues.

I do not love this myself, preferring to hike, snowshoe, or ski, so, may go myself once or twice if in the 30s and sunny.

To be honest, it is fairly easy to stay warm when paddling. The worse part is getting the kayak on and off the car and stopping to rest or have lunch. That is when I am the coldest.

Seeing you are from Maine, I assume coastal waters require a drysuit if not wetsuit most of the year anyways.

Last edited: