Hiker fatality on Mt. Willard

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So you can track those who buy but not how many use it 0 x a year or 100 x a year.

Exactly. Even for residents it's expensive so most folks will try to go out at least every weekend but there's no way to know with precision how many people are on the trails each day.

Exactly. Even for residents it's expensive so most folks will try to go out at least every weekend but there's no way to know with precision how many people are on the trails each day.

Expensive? not for snowmachines. ha that's a joke. Me and most I know don't find that is the case at all. Compared to many other sports its very very cheap. That's why my family has been doing it for 19 yrs since we left the Cape. Go all day long hundreds of miles for $35 buck per machine if you want. When I was on the Cape I had a 100 gal fuel tank on my 21 ft Parker and would burn thru that in a day often. Also trailer registration,fishing permits and I had more then a few each season plus fees likr boat ramp or boat slip rentals gobbles it right up. Scuba tank refills, anual gear service.. I'm getting dizzy thinking about all that.

No parking fees for snowmachines and you can buy one for $500 that runs good still.

Expensive? not for snowmachines. ha that's a joke. Me and most I know don't find that is the case at all. Compared to many other sports its very very cheap. That's why my family has been doing it for 19 yrs since we left the Cape. Go all day long hundreds of miles for $35 buck per machine if you want. When I was on the Cape I had a 100 gal fuel tank on my 21 ft Parker and would burn thru that in a day often. Also trailer registration,fishing permits and I had more then a few each season plus fees likr boat ramp or boat slip rentals gobbles it right up. Scuba tank refills, anual gear service.. I'm getting dizzy thinking about all that.

No parking fees for snowmachines and you can buy one for $500 that runs good still.

I don't think it's cheap, certainly not when compared to hiking. $100 per machine per year for in-state (out of state significantly more) and then gas for every outing, plus annual insurance. Cost of a new machine is $10-15K before you accessorize. My machines are 5 years old or so and low mileage, so I can amortize them pretty well for a number of additional years before I trade up. But for many folks who like to have state of the art machines and all the gear, it is super expensive. I disagree that you can get a decent used machine for $500 -- maybe 30 years ago for a skinflint. Today you are looking at $4-5K minimum unless you want a clapped out machine that has not been maintained or that has a billion miles on it. And even a Bob Wagg machine is now expensive because it is vintage (firebox not included). Same for ATV and UTV, which is why you always see a plethora of them for sale when you drive through Berlin. I do agree that few hobbies are as expensive as boats. Talk about a money pit.

I don't think it's cheap, certainly not when compared to hiking. $100 per machine per year for in-state (out of state significantly more) and then gas for every outing, plus annual insurance. Cost of a new machine is $10-15K before you accessorize. My machines are 5 years old or so and low mileage, so I can amortize them pretty well for a number of additional years before I trade up. But for many folks who like to have state of the art machines and all the gear, it is super expensive. I disagree that you can get a decent used machine for $500 -- maybe 30 years ago for a skinflint. Today you are looking at $4-5K minimum unless you want a clapped out machine that has not been maintained or that has a billion miles on it. And even a Bob Wagg machine is now expensive because it is vintage (firebox not included). Same for ATV and UTV, which is why you always see a plethora of them for sale when you drive through Berlin. I do agree that few hobbies are as expensive as boats. Talk about a money pit.

Still don't agree with you. I've spent and spend a fortune on hiking gear. And add in the cost of traveling to do it.
One has to know how to shop. I drove a couple times as far as Albany NY for a machine. Once to Wisconsin. I have a nice yamaha 600 vmax I'll sell ya for $500. Of course a Yami can run great forever. That's all we've been riding for over 30k miles last 18 yrs. A helmet for $10. Insurance liability is only what's needed and is just few bucks for a lower powered machine. What's a hundred for registering. If some working guy doesn't have $100 they should get a real job. And I see lot's of folks riding machines like that on the trails. Never see someone who is working and can't get a machine somehow. What cost me is stopping at J's or other places and buying a decent dinner. Every ride. Ha.

Still don't agree with you. I've spent and spend a fortune on hiking gear. And add in the cost of traveling to do it.
One has to know how to shop. I drove a couple times as far as Albany NY for a machine. Once to Wisconsin. I have a nice yamaha 600 vmax I'll sell ya for $500. Of course a Yami can run great forever. That's all we've been riding for over 30k miles last 18 yrs. A helmet for $10. Insurance liability is only what's needed and is just few bucks for a lower powered machine. What's a hundred for registering. If some working guy doesn't have $100 they should get a real job. And I see lot's of folks riding machines like that on the trails. Never see someone who is working and can't get a machine somehow. What cost me is stopping at J's or other places and buying a decent dinner. Every ride. Ha.

Most people who don't in the sticks would need a trailer, a vehicle capable of towing it, and storage at home for the trailer, vehicle, and machine. For someone living in the city driving a small car (if any at all) those are fairly significant added costs. Most people live in cities.

Most people who don't in the sticks would need a trailer, a vehicle capable of towing it, and storage at home for the trailer, vehicle, and machine. For someone living in the city driving a small car (if any at all) those are fairly significant added costs. Most people live in cities.

I get your point. Hiking can beat alot of hobbie expense wise. A hiker who uses just sneakers,carry's their bottle of water,no poles, brings their food up from Mass,sleeps in the car, uses only a tank or less of fuel bought cheap back home or shares it with a buddy. There is a million of those out there. If you want to call it hiking.

Anyone who wanted to snowmachine even from the cities could do it. First they'd drop there small car for a small pickup. Second they would find a way to store it free. I would. A trailer can be had very cheap. Open one that is.

Your observation lacks the fact that if someone wants to do something they can't so it. Assuming the person has brains and a job. It's all choice and making it happen. I am guessing you don't have a machine and don't know the life of using and owning one.

Last edited:
Anyone who wanted to snowmachine even from the cities could do it. First they'd drop there small car for a small pickup. Second they would find a way to store it free. I would. A trailer can be had very cheap. Open one that is.

Your observation lacks the fact that if someone wants to do something they can't so it. Assuming the person has brains and a job. It's all choice and making it happen. I am guessing you don't have a machine and don't know the life of using and owning one.

Have you been truck shopping lately?

This is true for almost any sport/hobby/pastime except maybe aviation. In fishing, you can buy a $25 outfit from Walmart or spend $800 at Orvis. Buy an inexpensive Jon Boat or an expensive Lund. Buy custom Limmers or Walmart boots. This goes for shooting/hunting, ham radio, photography, etc. People spend what they want to spend. And other people should not care one wit.

If this forum didn't have lots of thread drift...it would be even deader than it already is:rolleyes:

Amen to that. It's been looking like the same barrel of monkeys around here for a while.

If this forum didn't have lots of thread drift...it would be even deader than it already is:rolleyes:

Indeed. I love it when I get to that point where I have no idea what the original thread was about and have to go back to Page 1 and review how it started. I'm not sure "drift" is the right term. It's more like a wormhole to another dimension.

Indeed. I love it when I get to that point where I have no idea what the original thread was about and have to go back to Page 1 and review how it started. I'm not sure "drift" is the right term. It's more like a wormhole to another dimension.

Maybe you should change your screen name to Dr. Who.

Have you been truck shopping lately?

Attempted to go back into a truck after trying my first car ever and quickly realized, the market has left me and my state salary behind. Decided to upgrade my car to another, a Subaru Crosstrek, pretty happy with it.

I bought a loaded Ford Ranger at the start of the Pandemic. I ordered it with exactly what I wanted, 4x4, rear locker, loaded. Figured it would be the last new vehicle I ever bought. 0% interest rate, so no interest in paying it off immediately. Recently I started looking at new F250's to tow my trailer around. With the same options I have in my Ranger, it was right around $100K. and 6.5% interest rate. I'm keeping the Ranger a lot longer than I had planned.