Hiker Rescued from Mt Moosilauke

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks, Audrey.

No offense was meant. Someone said something similar in the WMUR comments section* and it fit in with the general absurdity.

I know 50 year old women who could outhike me any day of the week. I climbed my first mountain with my 63 year old great aunt. She was patient waiting up for me.

However, If you did feel offended, please give me a red square to request a more personal apology via pm.

* As a younger nerd, I championed the Internet for giving everyone a voice. Once the newspapers began adding 'comment sections' after the articles, I began to see a downside to that. :rolleyes:
As has been said more than once, the gene pool could use a little Chlorine!

(Geeks take note: 2**12 posts! :D )

Last edited:
I was going to be offended, too, by McRatt but I figured the comments were too outrageous to be serious. I'm a 60 year old woman and I hike along occasionally.

Back on some sort of track, quite a few years back I broke a snowshoe binding on a hike when I was at my furthest point from the road -- only about 3 miles. I used some bungies for my repairs, but what I almost couldn't repair was a friendship. The slower going (as my snowshoe faced towards 2:00) caused me to be very late in helping a friend out. Boy was she mad until she heard my story. But we're still friendly to this day. :p

Carol's right. More details would be good.

This isn't really a story, and I'm surprised it even made the news. When I say it isn't a story, I mean there is practically no information. Well, I guess I shouldn't be surprised. Bottom line is, she is ok. I too have wondered how I would react if I broke a snowshoe. I'd prob just turn around. ;)

Last edited:
I've had part of a snowshoe break, as have friends I've hiked with. Seen it happen within 1/4 mile of the OH summit, and on a Zealand/Bond traverse as well. Fortunately, there were enough components in the various McGyver kits - a few long nylon ties can go a long ways, and a Leatherman Micro to snip them is handy also. Also saw the top strap of a friend's pack break on the summit of Bondcliff - nylon ties to the rescue.

Regardless, it's unnerving to have an equipment failure. Never seems to happen at 10AM on a sunny day with temps in the 50's, either ...

There isn't a lot of info in that article, except for a quote from F&G saying that they were GLAD she used the beacon.
From the beacon, F&G knew that someone requested help in a relatively accessible place, they were probably relieved when they got there it was a simple issue not a broken leg or a heart attack

It would have been tougher for them if they got a call at midnight saying "my wife went hiking in the White Mtns and didn't come back" where they would have had to search all trailheads for her car then perhaps search multiple trails from that trailhead starting in the wee hours

Of course it would have been even easier for F&G if she had just walked out but from the hour she might have been struggling for a long time and finally given up, maybe this is Yuppie 911 and maybe it isn't depending on her ability to do so

I see Miriam Underhill's ghost turning over...

Miriam Underhill is famous for guideless climbing and manless climbing, but I don't recall that solo was her thing

Nope, Billy. Some things are obvious, but I'm not oblivious to the fact that some people think 60 is too old to be out hiking. Let's keep the fun going and the smilies to help when other's might not "get it." :D

I'm not oblivious to the fact that some people think 60 is too old to be out hiking.

My dad didn't get the memo either. He gave up on doing full-distance Ironman races a year or so ago, but he's retiring to Arizona this summer (if all goes well) so that he hike the Grand Canyon whenever the mood strikes him, maybe several times a week.

You're only as old as you let yourself be.

Nope, Billy. Some things are obvious, but I'm not oblivious to the fact that some people think 60 is too old to be out hiking. Let's keep the fun going and the smilies to help when other's might not "get it." :D

I just bought my "Geezer Pass". Not that I consider 62 old, either. I've waited a long time for the damn thing, so I'm rather proud of it. Might just buy a second at that price so I can just leave one in each glove compartment. No more shelling out $80 per year.

My current "hiker hero" is a 75 year-old friend who I have a hard time keeping up with. After about 3K' of vertical I can usually catch up to him, but before that - he's way ahead.

Attitude plays a large role, but you can't ignore genetics, either. They're both factors.

One of the important lessons I have learned is...."It isn't the age, its the milage that counts." Just like buying a used car. Counting both the days and the nights, anybody got high milage?

That article was perfectly timed, ChipC. Not to brag, but my mom was in her very late 70s when she and I hiked the Monadnock-Sunapee Trail. Not just once, but twice on most of our trips, because they were always in and out to the same trailhead hikes as we didn't usually car spot. Last month, at 88, she retired from her job as church organist. A dear hiking friend just turned 80 last week, and he's out on the trail regularly. Not just little hikes, either, but to places like Isolation last summer. We need more such role models.