Hiker Survives 3 Months in Wilderness Following Bear Attack

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PamW

Reaction score
A hiker was rescued after surviving a bear attack and spending three months, exposed to snow and freezing temperatures, in a remote corner of northern Canada, police said.

Police located Marco Lavoie, 44, in the wilderness near Waskaganish, Quebec, on Wednesday, 10 days after his family reported him missing and nearly a month after the experienced outdoorsman was expected to return from a two month hiking expedition.

http://abcnews.go.com/International/hiker-survives-months-wilderness-bear-attack/story?id=20754347

The La Frontiere article doesn't state any sources, but since there are no direct quotes from Lavoie, it's safe to assume that Bousquet got his info second- or third-hand; at best, from somebody in the rescue party.

Still, there's no mention of a bear attack. It seems that a bear stole his food from camp, but it's not clear whether Lavoie was even present in camp at the time.

Spider: if you read the story Neil linked to, you'll see that Lavoie was trying to navigate the Nottaway river.

Yes, I have day dreamed of paddling into Hudson Bay but I haven't been that far north. I know there is a canadian canoe web site, think I'll check it out a bit later to see if there is any more info.
Certainly does sound like he had a tough go of it. The google translate is a bit rough, but too bad about the dog as well.