Hiking Footwear "Issues"

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gaiagirl

Reaction score
:( So, I've always had problems with boot fit .... and unfortunately those problems are continuing. Recently did a sweet little hike in the Camden Hills (Thanks Mark!) and I could tell that my old boots were eating at least one of my heels. I've had this problem before, but not with these boots. It could very well be that it was just a matter of wearing them with a different sock, but I want to purchase a pair of simpler lighter hikers anyway (The only pair I have is just a little too big, volume-wise in my smaller foot. Yes, I could fiddle with insoles, but I prefer to find a shoe that fits me better and that fulfills a few more of my criteria for hiking.)

When I got back and took the boots off, it was apparent by not one but two bloody socks, that I had torn at least a couple of layers of skin from my heels AND the shoes were also less roomy in the toes than I remember them being (I haven't hiked in them in a couple of years ---- It's been a busy 2 years, what can I say!).

So I'm looking for a women's mid-height "day-hiker" with some measure of water-resistance but still plenty of breathability. I need plenty of room in the toe-bed but I have narrow ankles (a cross country ski boot guru told me this, and I believe him given all the difficulty I tend to have!) and a tricky fit since my right foot is closer to a 9 and my left is a definitive 9.5. I so wish I could resurrect my old, dead EMS day hikers --- they are exactly what I am looking for right now. Something with just enough structure and stability with lots comfort and little need for "breaking in".
I tend to have good luck with Keen shoes in general and Merrells are another shoe that have worked for me in the past. When I looked in Reny's on Wednesday, they unfortunately did not have my size in either, but I'll be having another look in one of the other locations soon.
Just wondering if anyone has any recommendations. I realize my specific fit issues may not be things everyone deals with, but perhaps some of you have some of these problems too and have recommendations?? I would appreciate any and all.
Thanks!! :D:D:D

I have foot issues as well thanks to ballet/point shoes at far too early of an age. I have a similar issue in that I need a roomy toe box for my right foot (my left foot seems to fit fine in any boot). I am on my third pair of Keen's and they are as close to perfect as I can get. They don't need to be broken in, they breath well, they are roomy (I can wear my winter hiking socks in them if I want), and I can do 10-15 miles with a 20-25 lb pack and my feet feel great. They are also very reasonable price wise. The downsides: the traction is awful. I feel like they slip on dry rock sometimes. Also, Keen claims they are waterproof which they are not (you can pretty much tell just by looking at them that they are not waterproof).

I have tried Merrells (to tight everywhere), Asolos (fit great in heel, still a little too tight in toe box) and North Face (tight toe box, rigid uppers).

I was also told by an EMS associate that our feet change shape more often then we think. If you are on your feet most of the day during your job then this is especially true. That may explain why your good ol' hiking boots don't fit the same way they used to...

Hope this helps, good luck!

I also have trouble finding boots that fit properly - I don't have skinny ankles, but I do also need a wider toe box. I generally have better luck with men's boots (more room in the forefoot area), although it seems like the current trend is for the men's version of a given boot style to have a much higher ankle, which may not work for you. May be worth trying, though.

Some Lowa models are available in multiple widths, too.

Most of the brands cited in this thread are fairly well known to make boxy, high volume shoes. I also have narrow, low volume feet and have always done very well with the "S" brands: Scarpa, La Sportiva, Salomon.

I also abandoned boots many years ago for trail runners. I only wear any kind of boot in the winter, when I need either warmth, high-up-the-leg waterproofness, or equipment interface (skis, crampons). The rest of the time it's soft trail runners. No blisters, ever. And fine for long rocky distances with a heavy pack, as long as I use poles.

More here:

http://www.vftt.org/forums/showthre...ason-hiking-footwear)&highlight=trail+runners

The LaSportiva's are a narrower profile. I have a regular sized heel but a wider forefoot. EMS shoes were good. I've had good luck with the Asolo's and Merrells have been okay. Recently sprained my foot and the MD allowed me not to get a splint as long as I wore my old EMS Mountaineers. Swapped up to the old Traverse I had.

Some of these brands may be beyond my price point ;). But thanks, all, for all this great information and input. Salomons are a no-go for me --- they just don't work for my feet. Men's boots are absolutely a no-go because my entire foot is low volume with the exception of the toe-bed. It doesn't stop me from trying them on from time to time, but it just never works out.
I am thinking about a low hiker, either Merrell or Keen, but I'm a bit concerned about stability and turning my ankles even on not terribly challenging terrain. I may take a flyer on a pair of Keens I saw for cheap on PlanetGear because I have had many pair of Keen sandals and clogs and they just feel like they were made for me. I may also be exceedingly proactive by taping up my heels before hiking next time. This could present its own problems (peeling tape, etc.) but it has also worked for me in the past.
Hope you're healing up well, Mike P., and can get out there on the trails asap. And thanks again to everyone who chimed in!!

I may also be exceedingly proactive by taping up my heels before hiking next time. This could present its own problems (peeling tape, etc.) but it has also worked for me in the past.
Try sticking the tape on with Tincture of Benzoin. http://www.rei.com/product/752451/rei-tincture-of-benzoin-1-oz

Rock climbers use it to hold tape on their hands while climbing abrasive (eg sandstone) cracks and medical personnel used it to hold butterfly bandages in place after the surgical staples were removed from my operation incision.

I have also used it to hold molefoam and moleskin in place on my heels.

Doug

I bought a pair of Merrell's for walking my dog this winter. I've always loved Merrell's and my hiking boot is the Merrell wilderness, ( imo the finest hiking boot made). Well I bought the boot in a wide to allow for wool socks, this springs all my shoes hurt my feet while walking my dog ( we average 3 miles a go). I went to the store and bought some Merrells in a wide, what a difference. How I could go all these years not realizing I should be in a wide is beyond me, but there you go.

Thanks for the tip about T of B, Doug. I had heard of it before, but have not used it. And just to assuage any concerns you may have about my intellectual capacity, I do NOT put tape directly on my heels, but on top of either moleskin or those big, ankle-sized latex-free bandages that I buy in large quantities a couple times a year. :D This double layer of protections seems to work well for me and keeps everything in place.

GG, once I, too, thought that the price point for Keens mid-height hikers was not doable for me, but when I actually got patiently and properly fitted into a pair, I didn't want to take them off. I bit the big ( for me) bullet and, wonder of wonders, those Keens lasted me a full 5 years of nearly constant 4 season wear. Even today, the uppers look like new, although the very outer soles are toast, I still wear them for grunge gardening and yard work. Bring my outdoor shoe expense down to < 25 bucks,/year TYVM, even Wal-Mart can't get me there.

I also have a half size difference between one foot and the other, and I have a similar issue with foot volume forward in the toe box ,and bony ankles. Most low hikers irritate my ankle protuberances no matter how well padded the collar, and they never grip the very back of my heel. It is always a fight to find a shoe that works for me.

Keens tend to run small. I'm typically an 8.5 - 9 ladies, and I now know to not even try on a Keen closed shoe less than a L9.5, then follow that with a 10 and actively assess the difference. Yes they can be big money up front, but I'm a huge proponent of doing the very best you can for your feet.

If you are fitting yourself in a discount situation, be patient with the process. Sometimes the online retailers can do well for you, Zappos has been excellent for me.

Breeze

Thanks for the tip about T of B, Doug. I had heard of it before, but have not used it. And just to assuage any concerns you may have about my intellectual capacity, I do NOT put tape directly on my heels, but on top of either moleskin or those big, ankle-sized latex-free bandages that I buy in large quantities a couple times a year. :D This double layer of protections seems to work well for me and keeps everything in place.
Can't recall ever having any reason to doubt your intellectual capacity...

I know of using the TofB for sticking adhesive bandages to skin (you apply the TofB to your skin, let it dry, and then apply the bandage/tape), but I don't know how well it might work for sticking bandages/moleskin together. It should be easy enough to try...

Doug

Last edited:
Breeze --- I actually wasn't talking about the Keens re: prohibitive cost, but rather the Scarpas and La Sportivas that some prefer. I remember checking both out at some point when I was hiking a lot with someone who was primarily an ice climber because his preference was either of those brands, and I decided they were just going to be beyond me at some point. I've been able to find Keens at LLBean (while I was working there part-time, too) and on ebay and they have always worked well. I do need to try on a hiking shoe though, since I've had clogs and sandals exclusively and do need to figure out what size is going to work in, as you said, a "closed shoe". I have been told Reny's will start to carry them come Fall, and I'm VERY much looking forward to that. :) And thanks for your input. Nice to know I'm not the only one .....
Doug --- Just wanted to clarify. What I wrote did sound like I might be putting tape directly on my ripped up ankles (which are still quite sore!) and that would not be wise, obviously. :D

I have a wide forefoot and narrower heel. I also sport very bad feet and wear orthotics. Cannot walk without them.

Turns out Scarpa's work very well. I wear a men's size and they fit like gloves. Super comfy.
Moraine is on sale at Moosejaw for $166. http://www.moosejaw.com/moosejaw/sh...Cat=-10020&searchTerm=scarpa+moraine+GTX+boot

I recommend you also check the Scarpa LUNA GTX, a very lightweight leather boot. They are retailing for $188 at Moosejaw. I have a pair of each for different trails. I even wear my Moraine's to the gym for support.

Just gave my neighbor well over $1000 worth of hiking boots and running shoes that just kill my feet, some barely out the boxes, The rest are in the garage and will go to Goodwill. Should have had a "garage sale" like REI.

Scarpas might be worth a look. I never in my wildest dreams thought they would fit me but lo and behold...what a find!:D
Good luck to you in your quest.

Last edited:
Lots of good advice so far. Some of the things that have worked for me...

1) Regarding Tincture of Benzoin, an uncle of mine is a pediatrician and he advises nursing mothers to use a mixture of mineral oil and ToB to help toughen the skin. He advised me to apply ToB daily for several weeks prior to hiking (or xc skiing) season. I use a brush, paint it on in the morning (careful! it stains when wet) and put on normal socks after it dries. This has dramatically reduced heel blisters for me.

2) Regarding boots, I have huge feet and can't wear trail runners on really rocky terrain. I've got badly flat feet and have problems with neuromas. So I need to use boots with a good deal of stiffness in the mid sole. I find that tight in the forefoot and loose in the ankle is what works for me. The sole is a bit lever and lacing the boots too tight in the ankle only serves to drive the heel back into the back of the boot more. Picked this tip up from an old issue of Couloir back when leather tele boots were king. An overhand knot with 4 wraps between the forefoot and heel is how I manage different tensions.

3) I find that decent orthodics are critical for me to avoid blisters. Helps to stablize the foot.

Doug --- Just wanted to clarify. What I wrote did sound like I might be putting tape directly on my ripped up ankles (which are still quite sore!) and that would not be wise, obviously. :D
OK.
Hadn't remembered your ripped up ankles (it was way back at the beginning of the thread... :) ).

I presume you are aware of this, but I'll say it just in case (or for new hikers reading this): it is better to treat the blisters before they occur or before they break. One can generally feel the friction spot before it becomes serious. Many who have chronic blisters simply simply treat them before leaving the trailhead.

Re orthodics:
Modern boots are generally made with removable generic insoles. Replacing the insoles with ones that suit the user (manufactured or custom) is pretty much expected. I personally need insoles with a lot of arch support--green Superfeet do the job pretty well for me.

Doug

Maddy --- Sorry for your fit problems, as well. Thanks for the info. Scarpas are out of my price range for the foreseeable future, unfortunately, unless someone wants to buy me a pair :D. PS --- What size do you wear??? Wondering if anything in your "bargain basement" might have my name on it ..... Ha! :p
Doug --- I have tried Superfeet, because I do have fairly flat feet, and they do nothing but cause additional pain .... lots of pain :(. This is more of a general issue of having hard to fit feet. And having never had problems with these boots previously, the problem definitely was not one I anticipated. Having a high pain threshold doesn't help matters. I knew I was having a "rub" on the right heel but was honestly surprised that my left heel was also problematic. It was a quick hike so it all happened pretty fast. I'm sure my feet have changed from being on them student-teaching all day this Spring and having not used these boots in a couple of years. It's probably time to figure out what is going to work for me at this point and time to get rid of the old boots. My budget will, unfortunately, be another issue. But obviously, I can't be tearing up my ankles every time I hike or I won't be hiking, or doing much of anything else, at all.

Doug --- I have tried Superfeet, because I do have fairly flat feet, and they do nothing but cause additional pain .... lots of pain :(.
I was not suggesting that Superfeet are necessarily helpful for you--I was only using them as an example that works for me.

Many years ago, I got a professionally designed and built custom insoles (orthodics). They wore out long ago, but I learned what kind of support I needed. Fortunately (for my wallet...) I have been able to find it in a reasonably-priced commercial insole.

This is more of a general issue of having hard to fit feet. And having never had problems with these boots previously, the problem definitely was not one I anticipated. Having a high pain threshold doesn't help matters. I knew I was having a "rub" on the right heel but was honestly surprised that my left heel was also problematic. It was a quick hike so it all happened pretty fast. I'm sure my feet have changed from being on them student-teaching all day this Spring and having not used these boots in a couple of years. It's probably time to figure out what is going to work for me at this point and time to get rid of the old boots. My budget will, unfortunately, be another issue. But obviously, I can't be tearing up my ankles every time I hike or I won't be hiking, or doing much of anything else, at all.
This may be a time to ignore your pain threshold--it is not about being brave and enduring it as long as possible, it is more about considering the initial relatively mild discomfort as a signal that it is time to do something about it before it gets worse.

While professional help and custom orthodics or custom boots may be expensive in the short term, they may be cheaper in the long term (particularly if you factor in the cost of the pain and injury).

Doug

I have had similar problems and tried to make an expensive pair of Scarpas work for a number of years. This year I bought a pair of Lowa Renegades. They have worked very well so far. They are light, required little or no break-in, and it is possible to adjust fit with the lacing system. I recently had my first trip without heel blisters in 6 years. They are not cheap, but may be worth a look. Good luck.

I was not suggesting that Superfeet are necessarily helpful for you--I was only using them as an example that works for me.

Many years ago, I got a professionally designed and built custom insoles (orthodics). They wore out long ago, but I learned what kind of support I needed. Fortunately (for my wallet...) I have been able to find it in a reasonably-priced commercial insole.

This may be a time to ignore your pain threshold--it is not about being brave and enduring it as long as possible, it is more about considering the initial relatively mild discomfort as a signal that it is time to do something about it before it gets worse.

While professional help and custom orthodics or custom boots may be expensive in the short term, they may be cheaper in the long term (particularly if you factor in the cost of the pain and injury).

Doug

Agree with Doug. Custom made orthotics are very expensive but the negative impact on your body when you have lousy feet is huge. Your hips, knees, back, plantar will suffer. Plantar fascitis will come knocking and perhaps tibial tendinitis, etc.
I would recommend trying out many different makes and models of boots. It really is trial and error. Get they from a place like REI, or whoever will take them back if you wear them outdoors. What I also learned over time is just because one make of boot works well for a while, there is no guarantee that it won't let you down up the road. This had happened to me with Merrell, Keene, Lowa, LLBean Cresta's, and even my Limmers (not custom), etc. The list is long. They failed me miserably as the feet deteriorated. Not all at once, over time. Not to long ago, I needed new orthotics and thought I could press on with the pain. That ended well....with two knee braces. Replaced the custom orthotics, and about 4 weeks later, I shed the braces. I even have a collection of store bought orthotics, Soles, Superfeet, Dr Scholl, to name a few. They are 100 % useless for my problem. I have even had problems finding people who could make an orthotic that addressed all my issues. Fortunately I recently found a PhD who does research on feet, teaches at BU, Harvard, and really takes into account your body structure, gait, and deformities.

Frankly I don't even hold my breath that my Scarpa's and Garmont winter snow boots will work indefinitely. The day may come when I will have to move into a different brand. I do whatever it takes having learned over time that my feet rule, and when they speak, I must heed their warnings.

You can have the best boot ever made, but if you feet need custom orthotics, the boot will not perform well. Some of us are "deformed" and the boot just can't fix that. It needs all the help you can give it.

Doug --- Guess this is just hard to explain, but while I might need new boots, it doesn't mean that I feel I have the money to not only buy new boots but to also get fitted for orthotics and the like. That isn't happening and my budget is limited by circumstance, unfortunately. Again, obviously I need boots that fit and that won't injure me but that doesn't mean that I have hundreds of dollars to sink into the effort, because I don't. The issue of having a high pain threshold is not really something I can do anything about. The heel issue with this boot has never happened before. I think I tried to explain that it took me by surprise. It wasn't something I simply chose to ignore, it was an honest surprise that when I got home I had found I was bleeding and had worn away layers of skin. Obviously it is something I plan on attending to and solving the best way I can.
BillG --- Thanks for the tip on the Lowa boots. I will look into them, along with some of the other options that seem like they might work for me.