Hip Snap Exercises

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paradox

Reaction score
Holderness, NH, Avatar: Pine Marten on Mt Field
I took my first lesson in Eskimo rolling my kayak today and failed miserably, in-spite of the best efforts of a competent and experienced instructor. My hip snap has lots of room for improvement. Does anyone have any dry land exercises (or references to same,) to improve strength and flexibility?

Sounds like performing a good hip-snap is a result of good core strength, no?
If you want a good one-hour workout for improving core strength, you might want to try the "Core Synergistics" dvd as part of P90X.

And for flexibility...yoga. If you haven't tried it already...definitely do. It works.

Not sure if you have ever seen a demo for folks who use Greenland Paddles but they advocate a slow roll. Basically roll 180 count to three and then do a slow roll up using the paddle. Its quite impressive

I havent successfully pulled one off lacking access to a sufficiently skilled instructor and a ability to avoid a leaky noseplug.:)

Not sure if you have ever seen a demo for folks who use Greenland Paddles but they advocate a slow roll. Basically roll 180 count to three and then do a slow roll up using the paddle. Its quite impressive

Ditto. The hip snap is not a "strength" thing, more of a twitchy thing. Hows that for a description? Seriously, think yoga. Its all flow. And how you use your upper body.

I roll reliably using the greenland roll and I don't even think I utilize a hipsnap.