How crowded do the RMC huts get on a Sat nite?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

B the Hiker

VFTT Supporter
Reaction score
Hi all,

We are planning a two day presidential traverse next weekend. Start Saturday morning, do Adams and Madison, and stay at Crag Camp or Gray Knob. I had planned on us going up Lowes, laying down sleeping bags, and then heading up and back.

A fellow hiker noted that we could shave quite a few miles off by going up the Valley Way, but that would get to the cabins in the late afternoon.

For those who know better, how crowded do the cabins get on a Saturday night? Do they fill? If we get there and they're full, we're in a very bad position indeed!

Thoughts? Experiences?

Thank you for your help on this matter!

Brian

Yes, they sometimes fill up on a busy weekend. The caretaker will direct you over to the Perch or the Log Cabin if needed. The Perch is a great option, and in fact would be my first choice since it's further south. It's just a shelter with tent platforms so you'll want to have a tent with you.

Hi all,

Thank you for your help on this matter!

Brian

We stayed at the Perch this past Sat Night (The perch is closed but there are 2 available tent platforms). The tent platforms were both filled by 5pm. There was apparently lots of availability at both GN and CC. The weather was perfect too...go figure.

Also, check as to whether our neighbors to the north have a holiday weekend.

I was up there in May and had the place to myself during the week. Hiked down on Friday, my friend told me there were people sleeping on any and all available space Friday and Saturday nights. Many Canadians on their holiday weekend.

Also, check as to whether our neighbors to the north have a holiday weekend.

Today (Aug 2) is a Canadian holiday, but you should be fine next weekend.

I would plan to go up Lowes and get there relatively early, b/c most August weekends it is likely to fill up. I prefer Crag myself, b/c of the views, especially is the Perch Shelter is closed (meaning the tent platforms are more likely to be filled up).

Keep in mind that the Perch is being rebuilt with very limited tenting space whihc will drive traffic to Grey Knob and the Perch.

Thank you all for your thoughts!

I think it may be the case that if I were out with a friend, coming in late could probably work. With more than two people, however, I suspect it's probably wiser to head up there first thing, drop off sleeping bags, and go out and back.

Brian

I thought I would contribute an answer to my own question. A group of eight of us started up the Lowes Path around 9:30am or so Saturday, August 8, 2010 and arrived at Gray Knob around 12:30ish. The forecast for the weekend was really nice, partially sunny, decent temps, decent winds, no rain.

We were the first ones in, dropped gear, and went up and hiked over Madison and Adams and then came back down sometime after 7pm. There was a father and two teenage sons, and one other gentleman, who said he arrived at 3:45pm.

The caretaker said there was all of three people at Crag Camp.

Take that for what it's worth. I can't guarantee that things would be different another weekend, but it all worked out beautifully for us, and I am grateful for the folks who wrote in with their thoughts and advice to my inquiry.

Brian

p.s. On Sunday we did a traverse over to Pierce and down the Crawford Path. Tons and tons of folks on the ridge this weekend, and everyone seemed to be having a good time under the magnificent weather we encountered.

Crag Camp - 03Aug2010

I stayed at Crag Camp on 03Aug2010. Caretaker said that Crag was full the night before (Aug 2) but that Gray Knob was not. She also said that was one of the few times all summer that Crag was full.

Keep in mind to that many people straggle in late to these spots assuming there will be space. Getting there in the morning and dropping gear is a great plan - you get a lighter load over the peaks, and you are assured of your space. Planning to do this with my son in a couple of weeks. You rarely see anyone at either place around mid day.