How do we keep folks from hiking Saturday?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My sister who lives in St Paul MN can’t understand what all the fuss is about. She now thinks New Englanders are all total wusses!

MWV Ice Fest starts tomorrow. There be plenty of brittle ice to knock about but who wants to stand around in a clinic when it’s blow’n 45 ???

If she is talking pure temps, she is right. OTOH, her state is relatively flat, it's state highpoint is shorter than Connecticut's highest mountain and CT's high point. It's claim to fame seems to be that it's with 15 miles of the State's lowest point also, the shoreline of Lake Superior at 600' Wind speed and wind chill is another matter though.

If she is talking pure temps, she is right. OTOH, her state is relatively flat, it's state highpoint is shorter than Connecticut's highest mountain and CT's high point. It's claim to fame seems to be that it's with 15 miles of the State's lowest point also, the shoreline of Lake Superior at 600' Wind speed and wind chill is another matter though.

Oh it can blow in the Twin Cities (remember that scene in Fargo:) But with a still air temp of -28 F on Monday not much breeze was needed to make one feel cold.

My wife ran into Kevin Jordan last night at the office as he and his wife were headed north for the Easter Seals Ride-in at Gorham this Friday and into the weekend. He said they already made the determination they were not planning to bring any of the kids out for a ride on the trails. Hopefully everything will run well enough so they can have the parade.

Not many sleds on the trail by my house this morning, then again the snow pack is broderline for sledding. I was reading the Colebrook chronicle today and there is an article mentioning a morning in 1979 where the temp was minus 48F. Various websites show that Colebrook has gotten to 40 below.

Last edited:
How do we stop people from heading to the hills in "this" weather?

We don't. We educate, we warn, we enlist every tourism site and dropping off point and social media campaigns to understand the danger, but we don't stop anyone. We ensure, through signs and the press, that anyone who goes in knows rescue is coming if it's safe for the rescuer...ONLY.

Where do you draw the line? -100 is a no-go, but -99 is? -90? -50? 0? Raining vs. sprinkling vs. cloudy? Is it age-dependent? Experience-dependent? Season? 40 in the winter is t-shirt time...40 in the summer is bundle up time.

What one terms as dangerous is subjective and up to the individual. I don't go out in this weather any longer. Would I have ever? Likely not. I have been out where it was below -30, and I was damn cold. I've been out when it was -10, and I was fine but my partner was cold. Two people, both with decades of experience, with similar gear and sharing a tent, having two different experiences. And, it's been the opposite of us before. So much of how you feel depends on several factors outside just the mercury reading.

At this point I am just rooting for Mt Washington to break the all-time low. We got -47 and -97 w/windchill to beat. Go Mt Washington!!

Not many sleds on the trail by my house this morning, then again the snow pack is broderline for sledding. I was reading the Colebrook chronicle today and there is an article mentioning a morning in 1979 where the temp was minus 48F. Various websites show that Colebrook has gotten to 40 below.

Snowmobiling just isn't enjoyable when temps go below zero. Think of the wind chill on the rail trail doing 45 mph. Wonder if the Mt. Wash Ice Festival will be taking clinics out today and tomorrow. Climbing in these conditions is also not enjoyable.

At this point I am just rooting for Mt Washington to break the all-time low. We got -47 and -97 w/windchill to beat. Go Mt Washington!!

Hah. I've become semi-obsessed with this today, checking the MWOBS site every couple of minutes while I do paperwork. It's pretty damn close already. Be interesting to see what happens when the sun sets.....

Hah. I've become semi-obsessed with this today, checking the MWOBS site every couple of minutes while I do paperwork. It's pretty damn close already. Be interesting to see what happens when the sun sets.....

-93 w/windchill right now. 5 more degrees…come on baby!

-96 w/windchill and it’s only 3:15.
I think it’s going to shatter the record.

- 99 deg!! I actually couldn't load the server for awhile. Don't think we're the only ones following...

attachment.php

There it is. And it's not done yet either.

Tim

Attachments

• 2023-02-03_16-34-43.jpg
    2023-02-03_16-34-43.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 281
But it looks like the low pressure has hit a trough, that should slow the winds down a bit but it will increase radiational cooling. No matter what, it looks like a record night.

-45 7:00 pm ...unbelievable !! ...hope they bundle up going outside tonight

..man,anyone wanna bet we see -50 ?:)

-109 windchill
-46.2 ambient
Less than 1 degree left to break the all-time ambient record
on Mt Washington and it’s still early in the night.