I Hate Down - Am I Missing Something?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
And to continue that thought even further... I like to wear a short sleeve shirt with arm warmers (running/cycling apparel) which I can easily roll down or take off if need be.

Tim

2. Forgive me if I'm missing it, but I don't think anybody has mentioned the Marmot driclime windshirt yet. In my experience that is one of the best and most versatile pieces of cold-weather clothing you can have. It can be a base layer, or a shell, or a mid layer, and it dumps moisture better than anything I've ever seen -- working hard, going uphill, the whole outside of it can be visibly wet while you're dry against the skin. I realize this started as a thread about down, but it's become a conversation about winter hiking comfort and safety, and this 10-ounce, softball-sized garment has more than earned its place.

Many years ago, EMS did a knock off of the DriClime windshirt. The significant improvement is that they added pitzips and this really transforms the jacket, imo.

My preference below treeline is light base layer/pile (or fleece) and non-waterproof nylon or polyester shell outer. Pitzips are a must and when worn over super breathable insulator like pile, it's possible to adjust temperature a LOT by venting, since the air goes deep and right through the pile.

I have 2 shells I do this with, a totally uninsulated Pertex windshirt (made for cycling and xc skiing) and the EMS version of the Dri Clime Windshirt. The non-insulated one is slightly more versatile and lighter and the one I take into the backcountry more often. For front country xc skiing I like the EMS one.

Actually, I would really like to find a good Pertex shell that is cut a bit longer, with front pockets, glass pockets, decent collar and big pit zips. Totally unlined.

All this to say, I think the real secret of the DriClime windshirt is the outer windshirt, not the DriClime. Effectively, you can create "DriClimes of different thickness by layering differently under a good windshirt.

Agree 100% on the basic point though. Much better solution for me than unprotected fleece/wool (I fall when I ski) and better than so-called softshells (better for town wear, imo).

^^ the one place where I've found a softshell really shines is when you're having to tunnel through a whole lot of snow-laden higher elevation evergreens. Think Santanonis, Sewards, etc. fully buried. A softshell hoodie is a nice thing to have in those situations for its abrasion resistance as much as its ability to keep the snow out.

This conversation is moving more towards personal gear recommendations for dealing with aerobic activity, so here is my two cents FWIW.

The Mountain Hardwear Chocklite "jacket", if you can call it a jacket, is a favorite item in my winter arsenal. On most hikes, even in the dead of winter, I find myself opting for this ultra-thin softshell windbreaker over a preferred base layer. It breathes incredibly well and sheds light snow and the constant brushing against snow laden limbs.

It is featherlight and durable enough to withstand numerous snags. I often couple this with either a North Face DriClimate T-shirt and an EMS blended long sleeve (Merino and Synthetics) or an Under Armour thin, power fleece, long sleeve.

I paid $50 for both of mine online and would suggest seeking a lower price than the MSRP of around $100.

I love this layer and don't enjoy my winter ascents nearly as much without this preferred piece of equipment.

Z :)

http://www.travelcountry.com/shop/m...pe=Affiliate&gclid=CN_4x6nUuLsCFW9nOgodnEUAaQ

Back to Down...nothing warmer IMO when it really does get cold...which for me starts around -15 to -20F and colder.