in need of new sleeping bag and new groundpad

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Technetium

Reaction score
My present 20-degree bag is quite old, and while it still works, it is the opposite of compact. Last summer I got a new backpack that has a designated space inside the bag for sleeping bags, which is pretty common now. Unfortunately, the bag I have is over twice the volume of that space. I've always had to strap the sleeping back to the outside of the backpack, which is cumbersome. I'd like to get a new bag for 3-season backpacking trips that will fit. Any suggestions?

For a groundpad, I have had one of those cheap EMS crash pads, but it no longer holds air, and was never all that comfortable anyway. I recently picked up a foam pad that has an egg-carton like texture for added cushioning... It folds up really nicely and I use it between the air pad and the ground. I was looking at new air pads and I'm not really sure what is good. Any suggestions?

At some point I want to look into winter backpacking... What degree bag would I need if I were to camp above 5000 ft in the White Mountains during February?

You want minimum a -20F bag for that. Some people use -40. Maybe more importantly, you want to get good at using it -- how you go to bed, i.e. your practices with pads, clothing, vapor barrier, hot water bottles, etc. is a thing you'll want to refine in more forgiving circumstances before you take your show too deep into the backcountry in a cold snap.

above 5000 ft in the White Mountains during February?

In other words, above treeline. This is a whole other ballgame, due to the likelihood of fierce winds. You may not be able to rig a tent, or light a stove...

compact

While it sounds like your bag is bigger than it needs I wanted to say that I use a bigger backpack for winter backpacking just to accommodate for the bigger sleeping bag and other stuff.

There are lots of great bags in the 20F range, and good values can be had with house brands like EMS, REI and LL Bean. You'll need to choose between down and synthetic. Synthetic is cheaper (initially), but down is more comfortable and will hold up longer over time. Having said that, the synthetic Northface Cats Meow is an old favorite and still gets great reviews. Also, don't overlook MEC - it's a Canadian coop - and it has great gear reasonably priced.

As for a winter bag - now you're talking real money. To go from +20F to -20F you can quite easily spend twice as much for the -20F bag. But, everything goes on sale, so if you create a short list of choices in advance, you'll be ready to snap up a deal when it presents itself.

As for inflatable pads - lots of choices - probably something made by Thermarest or Big Agnes. A foam pad along with an inflatable makes for a more comfortable sleep regardless of the time of year.

If you haven't discovered Mountain Gear, you can check out their website or subscribe to their catalog. I had huge sticker shock when I was first getting into hiking/climbing, but have found them to be an excellent resource for superb gear. Have bought a few things from them over the years.

To expound on the Synthetic vs down decision that Kevin mentioned.

Generally speaking you will find that Synthetic is a better choice for New England 3 season or winter camping. The moisture laden air in New England coupled with your body moisture will wet a down bag fairly quickly. If you are traveling every day your bag will never have a chance to dry out.

Generally speaking, down bags are better for dryer climates or one night outings.

There are differing opinions on the above, but this has been my experience using both.

...I'd like to get a new bag for 3-season backpacking trips that will fit. Any suggestions?
...I was looking at new air pads and I'm not really sure what is good. Any suggestions? ...

Here's what I use:

Sleeping bag:
Big Agnes "Lost Ranger"
Nice alternative for those who don't dig the tight mummy-style sleeping bags.
Note: Big Agnes bags have no insulation on the bottom of the bag....none, zero, nada, nil. So do not forget your sleeping pad.

Air pad:
Therma-rest "Trail Pro" air mattress

Last edited: