in the Concord Monitor - Opinion: Limit overcrowding in Mount Washington backcountry skiing through sign-up system

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ear Drum

VFTT Supporter
Reaction score
Writer Agnes Macy is a student at Bowdoin. These are just some excerpts:

"As a New Hampshire native, I am drawn back to the state again and again. ... I believe that Pinkham Notch should monitor and limit the number of skiers they let into the ravine daily. To do this, I think people should have to sign up online or in person before skiing. ... When people drive long distances to backcountry ski in New Hampshire, there emerges more pressure to ski a good line, to make the day worth it. This can lead people to make unsafe decisions in avalanche terrain. If you approach a ski day with a certain objective, it is difficult to change plans even if the forecast advises against it. Having an online sign-up system would force people to plan ahead and consider avalanche risk before creating their plan to ski. ..."

Opinion: Limit overcrowding in Mount Washington backcountry skiing through sign-up system

Last edited:
Ha, ha, ha! This suggestion really made me laugh. Limits will be placed on the numbers skiing on Mt. Washington when limits are placed on the numbers hiking on trails (or bushwhacking) in the Whites. Hint: neither is ever going to happen. :)

Snowflakes not only fall in the back country but also attend College in Maine.