In the market for a new backpack

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Technetium

Reaction score
My current backpack is over 10 years old and is falling apart. It's also too small. I've been looking around a lot for a good backpack with plenty of room and one thing I am not sure of is what size would fit me. I've been browsing on the EMS website through the Gregory and Osprey packs, and they typically define the size by torso length. I'm not really sure what this means, but it seems like it should be relative to a person's height. I am only 5'5" so I suspect I should be looking for a fairly small torso length, right? There are backpacks that carry up to 6000 or 7000 cu, but they don't come in Small size.

What I am aiming to carry is: sleeping bag inside the backpack, tent, groundpad, jacket, fleece, rain pants, a few extra socks, food for a week, 2 Nalgenes (these can probably go outside so no big deal), basic cooking and eating gear, medium-size DSLR + 2 lenses + ballhead, tripod (I would prefer this to go outside where the ice-axe would normally attach), front pocket for camera filters and stuff, and a top-pocket for other odds and ends. How many cu do I need for this?

What kind of gear do you own or intend to buy, how long of a trip, would you have to carry water or would you be able to filter. All questions that you should ask yourself when looking at a size.

I am 5'5" and I have either a small or medium size internal frame backpack. If you have lightweight gear and can filter water, you can go with a 4000-4500ci backpack for a weekend trip, at least I do anyway... I don't bring elaborate meals or an iron skillet. ;)

Jay

I am only 5'5" so I suspect I should be looking for a fairly small torso length, right?

Not necessarily. You could have short legs or a head the size of a golf ball :eek:. Sorry, just kidding. I'm only a couple inches taller and I am a medium in packs. Do the measurements ( http://www.dicksportinggoods.com/info/index.jsp?categoryId=391235&backTo=713416&infoType=infosport ). I like a larger pack than I "need" as they aren't much, if any, heavier, and then you have the room you need. I've had great luck with Kelty, Osprey, Gregory and Lowe Alpine, but there are lighter packs too.

Last edited:
I recently bought a ULA catalyst. These packs are very popular with the AT through hiking crowd. They are made in Utah by the owners of the firm and are competitive with the marked up foreign made equipment (many brands are made in the same shops in Vietnam). They dont advertise and mostly go after word of mouth.

http://www.ula-equipment.com/

They are bit more heavy duty than ultralight packs but weigh less than most standard packs. The designs are well thought out with a lot of features. They remind me of Mountainsmith designs from years ago when Moutainsmith was made in the US

One of the reasons I bought mine is the hoop suspension can be removed and broken into three pieces so the pack can be rolled up and it will fit in a suitcase.

Thanks for the links. Let me ask a question... because I noticed that neither ULA or Cilogear make packs listed anywhere near 6000 or 7000 cubic inches. Is that measurement something that can mean different things depending on the pack company? The Cilogear packs look pretty big, and if they can do the Himalayas then I assume they are more than big enough for anything I might need here in New England. But their largest packs are 75L which translates to around 5000 cubic inches. The pictures they show of their packs being used on Cho-Oyu are only the 60L version, which is less than 4000 cubic inches. The pack I have right now, which I got from EMS, is around 4000, and I find it too small. What's going on here? I feel like I am missing something.

Hmmmm..Depending on your gear..For summer....I can fit all that you listed in an Osprey Exos..3000 cubes...only variable is the amount and type of food....I have an Aether 70 that I used to use (and loved and still use for winter BP'ing) but it was too big for warm weather.

I used to do a week long spring/summer/fall time hike on the AT with 4000 cubic inches, with all the gear packed inside the pack. I have a 6000 inch plus mountainsmith with full suspension but dread hauling it as cubic inches usually equals pounds. I think the pack weighs 6 or 7 pounds.

I would suggest filling up a duffel bag with all of the gear you want to carry and visit a few shops with multiple packs in inventory and see what works.

Your space needs also depend on your gear.

Does your sleeping bag pack down to a basketball or a small loaf of bread?

Do you carry cans of Dinty Moore :eek: and bottles of wine :) or go mostly freeze-dried :( ?

"Basic eating and cooking gear" can vary tremendously in volume, too.

Your pad could go on the outside to save space inside...

I'd follow peakbagger's suggestion and take your gear to a store.

Height doesn't always translate into similar torso lengths. Trying on with weight inside and walking/climbing/descending ought to tell you if it fits. Don't rush that part, either.

Jay, maybe you should bring an iron skillet, it might slow you down a little so that I could catch up to you :rolleyes:

Bring stuff to store like they said, good idea....have fun shopping!

One thing you should know about Cilogear packs is the sizes do NOT include the extension collar or lid. So the 75L pack is just for the pack body on it's own. Add the extension collar and the lid and you are over 100 liters (6000+ci). Take this into account when comparing packs. Most manufacturers include the extension collar and lid when they list pack sizes, Cilogear does not.

... I've been browsing on the EMS website through the Gregory and Osprey packs, and they typically define the size by torso length. I'm not really sure what this means, but it seems like it should be relative to a person's height. I am only 5'5" so I suspect I should be looking for a fairly small torso length, right? ...

Don't assume that because you are relatively short in overall stature that your torso length also is short (or "small"). Have it measured by someone who knows what he/she is doing.

At 5'-7" I am what you would call relatively short for a male (I actually have lost stature by an inch or two over the years :(). My torso is on the long end of "regular" or normal, though. I also am quite "beamy" and heavy through the chest and shoulders, which complicates pack fitting for me. It's my legs that are short -- a disadvantage in hiking, to a degree, but I can't complain.

G.

I'm normally carrying all my own gear and then some for my wife or boys. Even if I was alone and careful, though, I don't think I could get a one man tent, summer sleeping bag, pad, stove, food, water, clothes, extras, etc in a 3000 ci pack. Perhaps I should try. The other thing is if you'll be in the 'dacks you'll need to be able to carry a bear canister. Even the small ones are a bit bulky.

FWIW: My Kelty Shadow 4500 (73.7l) weighs 3 1/2 lbs and my Osprey Aether 85 (5200 ci) weighs just under 5 lbs. I think my old Lowe Alpine Contour 90 + 15 weighed about 8 1/2 pounds :eek:, but that's like a guide's or leader's pack.

I have been using an Osprey Atmos [50] for three-season hiking since 2007. It has plenty of space and doesn't feel large or heavy.

The suspension on this pack is fantastic. The ventilated back, which is a mesh material with space between it and the pack itself, contours to your back. I was little apprehensive when looking at packs because I figured the mesh would stretch or rip over time. Three years later, not one problem and no regrets.

I like my Osprey Stratos 40. I liked my Stratos 32 before it except it was a little small. The 40 has been a good compromise between winter and summer - but I only day trip it. It's a bit big for lighter/shorter trips, but compresses OK and has room for the family's stuff when necessary.

I will probably buy something in the 20-25L range for summer use.

Tim