Infinite Storm Trailer...

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I will not sit here and allow you to besmirch the memory of Sylvester Stallone and John Lithgow slugging it out on the side of a cliff on the side of a helicopter. Blasphemy! :p

I think all of these over dramatized movie productions should be replaced with the down and humble not to mention lighthearted Rody Seth Productions. Come on people get out there and enjoy. All so of mention laugh at yourself once in a while.

Eiger Sanction: "Cut the rope, John"

Well, in "Touching The Void", the rope was cut. The movie that was eventually made was actually pretty good. I remember watching with my kids, when Joe's injury occurs and he's yelling Fock, Fock, Fock, with the heavy cockney accident. It actually took a moment to realize Fock wasn't what he was yelling. At one point, it looked like it would be a Tom Cruise vehicle, thankfully, that didn't happen.

Well, in "Touching The Void", the rope was cut. The movie that was eventually made was actually pretty good. I remember watching with my kids, when Joe's injury occurs and he's yelling Fock, Fock, Fock, with the heavy cockney accident. It actually took a moment to realize Fock wasn't what he was yelling. At one point, it looked like it would be a Tom Cruise vehicle, thankfully, that didn't happen.
Definitely one of the better and more realistic Climbing Movies out there. Not only based on a true story but a lot of it was filmed on location in addition to Joe Simpson doing a lot of the reenactment.

Definitely one of the better and more realistic Climbing Movies out there. Not only based on a true story but a lot of it was filmed on location in addition to Joe Simpson doing a lot of the reenactment.

Agree. It was almost like a documentary.

How can we forget this one? I actually liked it. After my first White Mountains backpacking trip in April '92 this was the first thing we saw when got to our hotel in Lincoln and turned the TV on.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m2NKf-ZycGE

I forgot it. Kill a Terminator and you too are ready for K2. A whole 29 on the Tomatometer

Correction: He assisted in killing a terminator before he died, Sarah Connor finished the job.

Last edited:
Really? I thought that was a great book. I thought he did a really good job detailing the whole scenario, discussing the SAR operations, the search, etc. and his writing style also made a fairly matter-of-fact incident much more "captivating" than the typical break down of these types of accidents. I also like how he delved into the risk management side of it and the generic process of evaluating risk, why we choose what we choose, etc. I actually read a few other books on the topic that he referenced in the appendix (one of which was outstanding and whose title escapes me at the moment). I never really thought of it as being written like a movie or a work of fiction but I felt his back and forth style kept my interest level high versus droning on and on about one topic until I fell asleep. I thought it was very well done. I think being a local story added interest too that I may not have had if this was in Oregon or Colorado or something like that.

This was also probably the first book I've read on the topic of SAR operations so maybe that gave it a higher interest level than it otherwise would have. When I read Ty's second book I found it much more ordinary despite being written with the same style and content, albeit much less risk management analysis. I've read a lot of other books about accidents on Everest and K2 and others and despite being much more dramatic stories they didn't hold my attention span nearly as well as Ty's books.

I found the first book fantastic and the second book, I couldn't even finish. It was not a compelling story to be honest.

I saw Infinite Storm this afternoon in a downtown Boston theater with a huge screen. There was one other person besides the two of us, so ideal viewing. If you can suspend your disbelief, you may find it affecting. We did. The Slovenian Alps, unsmoothed by glaciers, don't much resemble the Presidentials, but there aren't many shots of the summits and they do look nice, even if inauthentic. It's nearly a one-woman show - Naomi Watts as Pam Bales. She's about 8 years younger in the movie than the real Pam Bales was and it takes place in November, not October. Melodramatic details are revealed at the end that, while fictional, seemed necessary to bring the characters to life. We thought Naomi was very good in her low-key way. "John" is a stiff, literally, for most of his time but does well in the last scene. Otherwise, just some bit parts. Good direction and cinematography and there are some touches of authenticity.

I saw Infinite Storm yesterday, on Amazon Prime. I liked it. I've read Gagne's article, and I know it wasn't true to life, but it wasn't supposed to be a documentary. It was a fictional work based on a true story, and I think it captured the basic dynamic of the true story, while adding some extra drama. My main complaint was that the spruce trap looked totally fake. It had hard, well defined side walls.

--

Cumulus

NE111 in my 50s: 115/115 (67/67, 46/46, 2/2)
NE111 in my 60s: 84/115 (59/67, 23/46, 2/2)
NEFF: 50/50; Cat35: 39/39; WNH4K: 41/48; NEHH 89/100
LT NB 2009; CT NB 2017

"I don't much care where [I get to] --" said Alice, "-- so long as I get somewhere," ...
"Oh, you're sure to do that," said the Cat, "if you only walk long enough."
- Lewis Carroll