Irene Storm Track

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
At the foot of Bald Peak/Rocky Peak Ridge (Elizabethtown), the rain started at 4:27AM, by 10AM we had had 1, 25’’ then the flow significantly intensified and now at 11:45AM we are almost at 4 INCHES! So far no wind.

Many parts of Eastern New York, particularly interior sections of the Catskills, have gotten nailed by this storm really hard. Almost 12 inches of rain so far in Hunter with record flooding being reported along the Esopus and Schoharie Creeks. Not a good situation.

Pretty mellow where I am in Southern Saratoga County. Probably 4 inches of rain with 20 MPH winds. Still have power. It will be interesting to see how hard the 'Dacks get hit as the storm continues north.

On the western upslope side of Cannon/Kinsman, we are getting hammered with rain; winds gusts are still down around 20 mph. Power is on but flickering. The soggy ground will more likely drop trees than the wind. Yesterday you could easily have rock-hopped across our local stream that feeds into the Gale River; today it's a raging torrent. Nobody will be crossing any water around here today.

View attachment 3356

View attachment 3357

View attachment 3358

View attachment 3359

Now after more than 7 inches of rain and still counting, the Boquet is overflowing in a big way. On the above pictures it has already gone over two successive 5-foot tall embankment, and is at least 150 feet wide instead of its regular 40'! So far our house is still 700 linear feet from the river...

The fourth picture is of Roaring Brook just about to go over the bridge just as it did in the 1960's, so far it has "only" taken over a neighbour driveway.

Posted in the white mtn closing thread....but I thought Id do it here too, dire situation in the North Conway area.

from NWS flash flood warning

AT 300 PM...EXTREMELY HEAVY RAIN CONTINUES TO FALL IN NORTHERN NEW
HAMPSHIRE AS WELL AS OXFORD COUNTY MAINE. SOME OF THE HARDEST HIT
AREAS INCLUDE THE AREA NEAR NORTH CONWAY ALONG THE SWIFT AND UPPER
SACO RIVERS. RADAR ESTIMATIONS NOW DEPICT OVER A FOOT OF RAIN HAS
FALLEN OVER PARTS OF THIS REGION FROM TROPICAL STORM IRENE. LAW
ENFORCEMENT REPORTS INDICATE THAT ROAD WASHOUTS ARE OCCURRING ALONG
ROUTE 302 IN THE ATTITASH REGION.
THE SWIFT AND UPPER SACO RIVERS WILL HAVE EXTREMELY RAPID RISES THIS
AFTERNOON AND TONIGHT. THE WATERVILLE VALLEY AREA WILL CONTINUE TO
BE HARD HIT AS WELL. OTHER AREAS IN AND AROUND THE WHITE MOUNTAIN
REGION WILL CONTINUE TO BE PRONE TO DANGEROUS FLOOD THREATS

stay safe folks, this is scary possibly once in a lifetime stuff.

Downtown Brattleboro underwater

Here's some video shot earlier today in Brattleboro, VT - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=abiXMtDMK6I . :eek:

I'm just aside from the Contoocook, and we got about 6 inches of rain, the river is way up but the roads are open. I did have to spend several hours bailing out the basement, but hey I needed the exercise anyway.

Last edited:
Here in Goffstown it was a joke. We had some decent rainfall this morning, but all day winds have been pretty mellow except for some good gusts (but not nearly the worst I have seen around here.) What is silly is that they said the nastiest stuff was supposed to hit the area around noon and go to 4:00 (later revised to 9:00) and frankly the weather SINCE noon has been no worse than your typical mid summer storm. We lost cable/internet/phone around 3:00 and got it back about an hour ago, but that was it. Power was on through it all.

So as far as Goffstown goes this was the biggest anti-climax in a very very very long time.

Brian

It looks like the Pemi is going to break the 1960 record of 47,000 CFS:
http://waterdata.usgs.gov/usa/nwis/uv?01075000

The latest reading was 45,900 CFS at 5:30PM, and the river had jumped 13 feet in about 12 hours. There's going to be a lot of rain damage in the Whites.

Edit: Looks like it peaked at 48,200 CFS at 6PM.

Last edited:
The flood damage in VT has been devastating. Bridges and roads washed away all over the state.
I was astounded and saddened that the Queechy Covered Bridge in Queechy VT was washed out. If you know the area, you'll recall this is downstream from the dam (which is where Simon Pierce Glassworks is located).

Queechy Bridge video

Last edited:
I was also thinking that this was another over blown forecast. But seeing the massive destruction taking place less than 45 miles from my house is very sobering to say the least.

Now I'm thinking that the forecast and warnings were quite valid, and how very fortunate I am that my family is safe and sound!

I was astounded and saddened that the Queechy Covered Bridge in Queechy VT was washed out. If you know the area, you'll recall this is downstream from the dam (which is where Simon Pierce Glassworks is located.

Queechy Bridge video

Oh man! I was just there yesterday for a wedding ceremony at Murphy Farm and reception @ Quechee Club. First and last time over that bridge, sadly.

Fingers crossed for Campton's Blair and Bump (on Beebe River)covered bridges as the Pemi crests tonight.

Last edited:
cant figure out the logistics of this. i was at ledges on the pemi in woodstock with tons of people looking at the river at 45000 at about 3 pm or so. the water was roaring like what...10 mph? so i figure in an hour it would be in plymouth...i went down to plymouth 2 or 3 hours later and the water was at 19000. now 7 hours later..its at 25 in woodstock and 29000 in plymouth. where did the water go? ive been watching the guages, you would think it would be like a bubble in a hose going downstream, or actually picking up more water as it went. in manchester the river is hardly 10000