Is it me or my snowshoes??

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok...it was me. I readjusted where I placed my foot in the binding and I experienced no issues with the heal lifters...YIPPEE......but know I have a new one. :mad:

There other day I noticed one of the rivets that holds the crampon had broken off...UUGGGHHH!!!! I've used the snowshoes for a total of 11 hikes and about 120 miles. Seems like this is too soon for them to start failing. Maybe I just got a defective pair, well, that's what the MSR man said. I don't know if I will keep them or just try a different brand. Any sugguestions??

-MEB

Reactions: arm
like tiny dancer

MEB
Get some big ones! When you were breaking it was like following moose tracks those things are so small :D
It was great hiking with you!

Reactions: arm
MEB said:
Ok...it was me. I readjusted where I placed my foot in the binding and I experienced no issues with the heal lifters...YIPPEE......but know I have a new one. :mad:

There other day I noticed one of the rivets that holds the crampon had broken off...UUGGGHHH!!!! I've used the snowshoes for a total of 11 hikes and about 120 miles. Seems like this is too soon for them to start failing. Maybe I just got a defective pair, well, that's what the MSR man said. I don't know if I will keep them or just try a different brand. Any sugguestions??

-MEB

Many people will say their boots and snowshoes last for 10 or 20 yrs but they don't hike a lot and then not on rough terrain. but in my expereince snowshoes and boots don't last too long. Then I'm rough on 'em.

As you mention 11 hikes and 120miles.....that seems early.

I've worn out several pairs (3 or 4) in 20 years of winter hiking, I have found that I only get about 20 hikes out of a pair of snowshoes before they start to need repairs. Sometimes it's a rivit or a broken strap. Once I make the repair then I can get another 5 or 10 hikes out of them until there are multiple repairs required. So in the end I get about 3 to 5 winters of hard hiking out of them.

I've started to re-enforce weak points before they wear out and inspect them and watch for excessive wear. I keep several pairs so I'm always ready to go into the next pair. It looks a little funny to use two different vintage shoes (that are the same size) but I'm squeezing the life out of 'em.

Check out Dion Snowshoes. He's make some killer shoes and is out of Readsboro VT. 100% lifetime guarantee..no questions. I have a pair of his racing shoes..good stuff, and a really nice guy.

Greg

Ok after years of saying I couldn't imagine trying the MSR's I finally bought a basic pair of the MSR's Denali shoes with all those funny straps and stuff.
They measure 8' x 22" . I didn't buy the tails or anything as I have larger snowshoes if I need them.
So why the change of heart ?
Well, a big part of it is the fact we sell them where I work and I have been looking at this pair for about 3 years now.
I finally justified buying them with the thought in mind that later in the season , when the trails have frozen and refrozen a zillon times and are all full of gnarly post holes, I should be able to get away with a small snowshoe to keep me from falling into them.
Spring time often find trails that look more like Swiss Cheese than a hiking trail...all full of holes..or a personal favorite... post holes that are covered up by drifting snow or a bit of fresh snow that adds to the challenge.
Time will tell how they hold up...of course I would like them to last more than one season.

Other than that I don't have a strong recommendation about what a good snowshoe might be on the market today...
but
If you ever get a chance to buy a pair of older style Sherpa snowshoes....I would jump at the chance. Yes, they are not made anymore but last year there was talk of a company that picked up where they left off.
perhaps it will turn up in a "search"...

Good Luck

Complete Failure!

While I was hiking on Sunday I noticed my foot pointing in a funny direction so I took a closer look to see what was going on. The entire foot crampon had broken right off...so it is the snowshoe and not me :eek: :D :eek:

I called MSR and explained what happened and they assured me this was totally unheard of happening and I could send them back for a new pair.

Anyway, they told me the crampon was made of aircraft grade aluminum....so would that be stronger than a steel crampon?

-MEB

MEB said:
The entire foot crampon had broken right off...

Anyway, they told me the crampon was made of aircraft grade aluminum....so would that be stronger than a steel crampon?

-MEB
I get the feeling you're asking if the aluminum crampon has a better chance of not breaking off the shoe than the steel. Is that right ? If so, it won't matter, either could fail.

Or are you asking which will be more durable/hold a point, assuming they both stay on the shoe ? Basically steel is more durable. Aluminum is lighter.

Another MSR snowshoe failure story. At least they back up their products when they break!

spider solo said:
If you ever get a chance to buy a pair of older style Sherpa snowshoes....I would jump at the chance. Yes, they are not made anymore but last year there was talk of a company that picked up where they left off.
perhaps it will turn up in a "search"...

Good Luck

Was this the company you were refering to? http://www.irl.bc.ca/Forestry Supplies/snowshoes.htm

Last edited:
MEB said:
...Anyway, they told me the crampon was made of aircraft grade aluminum....so would that be stronger than a steel crampon?

-MEB
MEB,
Whoever you talked to doesn't know what they're talking about. ;)

The crampons on the Lightning Ascents including the new 4 strap 2008 model are hardened stainless steel, the two cross bars and the televator are high strength steel...the rivets and frame are aluminum. Stainless steel is significantly stronger and more abrasion resistant than aluminum.

There is no set definition for what "aircraft grade" aluminum is. So, unless they put a number next to it like 7075-T6...it's just aluminum.

My brand new Lightning Ascents only have about 3 miles on them and I already have a rivet issue. It appears those two front aluminum rivets don't stand up to rocks very well. Once the bottom of the rivet wears off, it falls out. This puts additional stress on the middle and rear rivets causing them to break. I'll probably just replace the front rivets with stainless steel rivets or bolts as they break...unless MSR comes up with a better fix.

Last edited:
They refer to the frame as "aero grade aluminum". :confused: :rolleyes:

What's actually failing, the rivets in the bottom of the deck, the pins that the crampon rotates on or the aluminum frame slats the pins are attached to ?

DLORG_D9.jpg

okay, here's a similar picture of my Crescent Moon Gold snowshoe. The Binding and Crampon attach to the (Point A) Pivot Point Strap with 2 rivets and to the (Point B) Back of the Deck Attachment Point flap with 2 rivets. So if both a Point A and Point B rivet were to fail, the unit would still function pretty well, especially if they were diagonal to each other.

file.jpg

Hi Chip,

The crampon acutally broke in several places....on the MSR photo two breaks go right through where the two rivets are as seen on the crampon, resulting in total loss of crampon. There was also another break on one side at the pivot point. The other shoe suffered two breaks on the pivot point as well, one on each side...I did not notice this until today. No rivets, pins or slats failed. The metal just snapped apart. :( :mad:

-MEB

ya-whatever

broken snowshoe and she still gets 6 peaks done :rolleyes:

Hey MEB,
Sorry for the trouble you've been having with your gear.
I have 2 friends who have had this happen with MSR's, after very normal use, and not terribly long after they were purchased. Each of them thought "maybe it's me", but I don't believe it was. Both of them now own what I have, Atlas 12 series, and not one of us have had anything but very minor issues with ours. I've had mine for over 2 winter seasons and I have not a single complaint. I can only go by my own experience, but thought I might share it under the circumstances.

J.P.
thanks, Nice link.. that is the company. Nice to know they will keep the Sherpa snowshoe "alive"

MEB
Bummer you've had such poor luck with your snowshoes. If ever a person deserved are replacement pair from the company it would be you.
Better yet they should probably replace it with a different style shoe...those snowshoes don't come cheap...they should make good on them with many an apology and consider taking them off the market.
Hope it all gets straighted out so you can enjoy these early snows we're having
Bon chance.