Isolation Winter Bid #5 a success!

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
:) WAHOOOOO:)

Could you hear that Sunday at 1PM? That was the cry from the summit of Mt. Isolation.

Thanks goes out to many, well wishers who couldn't make it, the group that went in Saturday to break trail, our group: Darl58, Dave Bear, Bryan, Mary, Charlie and Mad River.

The day started at 8:30, late arrival of the party set.
Darl and Bryan bolted up the trail as the rest of us took it gently, me to acclimate breathing and tending to a pulled hamstring from Ice Storm Trail work Saturday ( note to self, don't do that again)

Conditions were beautiful, not too cold, skies did looked ominous for a bit but started to give way to blue. Perfect timing in the Birch glades off the bushwhack to see Isolation basking brilliantly in sunshine with blue skies all around. It was looking promissing. The way was nicely paved from LRIz and company, thanks! There were a few spots that got some drifting but not much. Basically uneventful going, not trying to get hopes up too high. River crossing all good... great company, what more could I ask for, yes, the summit!

After taking bets on when we would summit and doing the crawl under the blown down spruces, Isolation signage was staring right at us.
Charlie, you came closest. Phot opps strated, but the summit awaited us.
After giving 5 good kicks in to the spur trail, we got to the summit cairn. Having the honor of leading the way, I bent down and kissed the summit marker, then got out the fluted glass that Darl had from last years attempt, filled it with some vino and commensed celebratory photo opps. Thank God we didn't experience anywhere near the wind from Saturday, it was an absolutely spectacular summit experience, some wind, and amazing views of the rock pile.

I'm happy to have this puppy behind me, next time will have to be a promise of blue bell day. What do you say Darl, come on, you know you want to do it again :D:eek:

Thanks for everyones good vibes on this endeavor!
This was a great way to finish off my winter 48. See you out there soon.

Steph

Congrats! I've seen the pics, it looks like a great day. We left you a note in your car but went shopping instead of waiting for you to come out.

Major Kudos for perseverance!!! I wish I could have made it, but I was shuttling family back to the airport. At 12:30 I said to them that you guys were up there, and I wondered if you were getting close to the summit.:cool:

Way to go Steph!!!

Looking forward to the pics!

Congrats!

This is something I really was wishing I could get out and do with this group but I think I may be grounded for most of this winter with a family obligation.

I have to live vicariously through the rest of you for now, so I am glad you were successful.

Congrats, Steph, I know how it is to want to finish that list!

Congrats to the group, this is never an easy hike in any conditions. (At least not for old men like me!)

KDT

Steph, that was a well earned summit!!

I have to think back at when Steph and I have attempted this peak in winter. The first time we ever met was the original try for both of us..then it was a year later when we met again and realized, I know you, from that Isolation hike. How fast time flys! :rolleyes:

It was a lot of fun, Steph & I hiked a lot of Winter tough ones together and yes , we have stories.....hehehe
At the end, we were bartering as to I'll do this one with you if you do this one with me....I lost. I hiked Isolation 3 times for her...hmmmm :confused:

Anyways it was a wicked fun day and a great group of hikers! Bryan, Mary it was fun to meet and hike with you. Looking forward to catching up again on a hike.

Thnaks to the crew of UFC, LRiz, Meb, Drew, Cathy, etc who broke it out on Sat with such winds..made our attempt pretty tame!! :D

http://picasaweb.google.com/hikerdd13/MtIsolation1409?feat=directlink

Congrats! I'm glad you finally made it and had such a great day!

Thanks again Steph for inviting me along on you final winter peak, it was indeed a pleasure to hike with everyone.

Sorry to anyone who doesn't like to see an old thread revived but life's path has been such a tough bushwhack lately I never got to contribute pictures and say thanks to the awesome folks that I shared that weekend with! The perfect trail breaking by the hardcore Saturday hikers and the wonderful hospitality at the Mountain House were a stellar prelude to the Isolation hike. Isolation is quickly becoming a favorite destination of mine with its easy trails, beautiful birch glades and terrific views! If you never find time for the whole trip in winter at least get out on to the bushwhack in the birches and enjoy a place I would pitch a tent and spend a weekend! Sometimes a long path is what it takes to get full appreciation of what your doing! Thanks again all!;)

Slideshow: http://good-times.webshots.com/slideshow/569670898mrKLQW

Sweet...

pictures, Dave. Wish I had made this one. Would like to get this off the W48 list. Will try to get to Cannon w/you later this winter.

KDT