Jewell to Jefferson, Your thoughts?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pks4000

Reaction score
Except for the extended time above timberline is there some reason so few take

the Jewell Trail (3.7 miles) to Gulfside (jct at (5400) then north up the Loop to Jefferson?(another 1.8 with little net elevation gain) . I recall a gradual "down" in there on the way to the Jeff Loop?

I thought Jewell was the "standard" route to Jefferson in winter? You can add in Boundary Line>Jefferson Notch Road>Caps Ridge and make it a true loop. I may be slightly biased here. :D

With regards to the conditions. I haven't been out that way in a few months. Though, with the weather this year, it may not matter if it's been broken out as single time this winter (it probably hasn't)?

Agreed - Jewell out and back is the common winter route for Jefferson or up Ammo down Jewell for Monroe, Washington, Jefferson.

There is a small dip into Sphinx Col and a gradual
Climb from there to Jefferson.

Happy Trails!

Now if only the wind would stop howling on weekends :eek:

Tim

amen, my friend,, here's hoping huh?.
I can go anytime midweek but my "usual suspects" have a hard time going then.

I need S Twin and Jeff (and the Bonds)

I am waiting for the right days as I want to enjoy this finish.
Its been 7 wonderful decades of hiking for me and I'm introducing my new knee to the 4kers.
Whiteface was my first this week with the knee and it was superb!!!

Climb onward!

I thought Jewell was the "standard" route to Jefferson in winter?

It is now, Jacob, since the road is kept open on that side of the mountain. Several years ago, according the story I heard, the Cog had a fire in one of its buildings, and the insurance company suggested that if they wished to maintain coverage, they needed to provide access for fire trucks. A few years after that, they tried the ski trains, and access was mostly a sure thing.

Before access to the Cog RR lots became routine, the standard route involved some variation from Lowes Path, either turning right on the Randolph Path to the Perch, or climbing higher to above treeline, perhaps all the way to Gulfside, depending upon conditions, and then heading south. It was far more challenging than today, and this BB has seen discussions of how to avoid the cornice which often forms above Edmunds Col, and other bits of mountain lore.

Personally, I still think it's one of the more challanging winter peaks in the Whites, but not quite as daunting now that Jewell is open and in regular use.

It is now, Jacob, since the road is kept open on that side of the mountain. Several years ago, according the story I heard, the Cog had a fire in one of its buildings, and the insurance company suggested that if they wished to maintain coverage, they needed to provide access for fire trucks. A few years after that, they tried the ski trains, and access was mostly a sure thing.

Before access to the Cog RR lots became routine, the standard route involved some variation from Lowes Path, either turning right on the Randolph Path to the Perch, or climbing higher to above treeline, perhaps all the way to Gulfside, depending upon conditions, and then heading south. It was far more challenging than today, and this BB has seen discussions of how to avoid the cornice which often forms above Edmunds Col, and other bits of mountain lore.

Personally, I still think it's one of the more challanging winter peaks in the Whites, but not quite as daunting now that Jewell is open and in regular use.

An interesting project would be to complete a winter round by the historical routes - say - pick an older edition of the guidebook and research what were the standard routes of the day. Might make a neat challenge and certainly spark some informative discussions here. :p

Thanks for sharing, Kevin.

Peaks and Tim : I think we are all waiting for the wind to stop blowing! I have just Madison and Adams left for my Winter Round and I am hoping for very nice, safe conditions so Terra and I can finish our fourth round together on Adams. March and a Shift in the Gulfstream is right around the corner:)

Happy Trails!

Last edited:
Peaks and Tim : I think we are all waiting for the wind to stop blowing! I have just Madison and Adams left for my Winter Round and I am hoping for very nice, safe conditions so Terra and I can finish our fourth round together on Adams. March and a Shift in the Gulfstream is right around the corner:)

I have 14 more for the single-season and at least three require safe, if not "very nice", conditions, which I don't see happening this weekend. I was gun-shy about last weekend (although people clearly did it - including a Presi Traverse), and the forecast for this weekend is worse.

Tim

Good point Kevin, I only got into winter hiking about 3 years ago. Thanks for that info!

I agree that this weekend is not shaping up to be a "presi" weekend from the looks of the forecast. :(

I have climbed Jefferson in winter from 3 directions - Caps, Castles, and Edmands - but not Jewell since cog lot not plowed then.

One question - do people use the "closed" route of Jewell from cog or go back to Boundary Line?

An interesting project would be to complete a winter round by the historical routes - say - pick an older edition of the guidebook and research what were the standard routes of the day. Might make a neat challenge and certainly spark some informative discussions here.
As Kevin said, before cog was open Jefferson was usually climbed from Edmands Col. Monroe was usually from Pinkham although I've done it from Crawford. Whiteface was via old McCrillis over private property, maybe you could get permission. Moriah was easier before both Stony Brook and AT relocated. Cabot from W, of course. Liberty and Flume from The Flume. Hancock & S Hancock separately from jct as ridge trail too obscure.

But that's only 40 years ago. Go back a few more years and the Kanc isn't plowed and you're hiking from Lincoln. Tom is a bushwhack. A century ago winter ascents of Washington were cog tracks or carriage road.

Last edited:
Roy- Eric and I use the "closed due to Irene" section of Jewell in December. All traces of the former bridge have been obliterated. The crossing was very tricky but it was easy to pick up the trail on the other side. More signage regarding the reroute near the Cog Railway would have been helpful.

If you are looking for something different with a little less above treeline exposure, four of us just did the Castle trail to Jefferson last Sunday. It is packed down nice until you get to the Castles then it is a mix of soft snow with bare rock and some hard crust along the way.

An interesting project would be to complete a winter round by the historical routes - say - pick an older edition of the guidebook and research what were the standard routes of the day. Might make a neat challenge and certainly spark some informative discussions here.

In addition to the routes being different, many of them were not broken in. There were fewer hikers, and because of this, some trails stayed unbroken most of the winter. We also had no internet. We didn’t know which trails were broken in until we got up there. We would pick a few different hikes and drive to each trailhead to see whether there was a car parked there or if someone had been up the trail recently.

Sometimes the routes took multiple days to complete. We would have to hike in half way, camp and finish the hike the next day. Back then there were more overnight hikers on the trails because it took longer to reach a destination. Packs and gear was heavior as well.

Othertimes we would beak in the trail half way and hope that the following weekend we could return and finish breaking in the trail the remainder of the way.

Weather was also a factor. We didn’t have the kind of advanced weather reports as there are today. We would start a hike in the morning because the weather was favorable but we wouldn’t know what to expect above tree line or if there was a bad front moving in that afternoon.

Many times we would stop by Pinkham to view the weather board and to sign in so that others would know where someone may be hiking. Also from the Pinkham trail register, we could see where others have hiked as well.

Last edited:
That's an interesting perspective on the way things used to be in the not so long ago :/)

It's only been about 9 years since I found this board - only a fraction of the time I've been hiking - the Internet and technology have really changed the way hiking is approached - and yet I often think of all the folks out there hiking, doing neat things in the mountains who are not "connected" and are thus doing so outside of the scope of the 'net.

But I digress....nice to hear the Castellated Ridge is broke out ;-)