Lake George Paddling

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Now that the boating season is done, there is especially good paddling on Lake George. I was up last weekend and I saw just as many rec boats as power boats at the north end.

I usually launch out of Rogers Rock or the "Warning Rattlesnakes" launch just south of clay meadows, which has access to Northwest bay by a small creek. Ive waited at the state launch at Fort Ticonderoga for some thunderstorms to pass

Its my understanding that after a certain date, there are neither reservations nor fees required to stay at any of the islands with campsites. I have called DEC twice but I get the same answering machine. Does anyone know when this day is?

Only date I could find is Oct 7th is the end of the reservations season, but I can't find anywhere that free camping is discussed. You might try calling the marina in bolton landing;

"Lake George Island (Glen, Long and Narrow Islands) campers: In addition to registering at the usual locations, you can now register for your camping reservation at the Norowal Marina. The marina is located in Bolton Landing and is operated by the Bolton Local Development Corporation. Hours of operation are Thursday through Monday, 9:30 a.m. to 6 p.m. and closed Tuesday and Wednesday. For more camping information call the NoRoWal Office at (518) 644-9125."

With experience at numerous ADK boat only accessible campsites when the formal NY State campgrounds are closed, you can normally camp there without fee or reservation knowing that there will be no services. Did this on Lk George years ago in May from Heulett's Landing and on many other ADK lakes more recently. Go enjoy (with caution on that big lake).

Ishmael and I camped this weekend on Temple Knoll Island (Waltonian Group) in Lake George. We put in at Roger's Rock Campground which is closed, however overnight parking is permitted.

I found other public launching sites:
1) At the northern end of the lake is Mossy Point, the public launch is on the east side of the river as it heads toward Ticonderoga.
2) At Peggy's Point which is about a mile southwest of the Waltonian Group of islands.
3) On the river that is at the northern end of Northwest Bay, about mile north of the main body of the bay.

I will post a trip report in the next couple days.

Last edited: