Left Coast SAR on Mt. Baldy

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChrisB

Reaction score
If you have not been following this winter's drama on Mount Baldy, you might find the following interesting:

Unusually wintry conditions in the area have caught many hikers unprepared. The result is many rescues, several deaths and a missing in action.

A short hop from LA, Mount Baldy might be considered the Franconia Ridge of the West. Scenic, quick and easy to get to for millions of people, and not too demanding.

Here's a link to the San Bernardino Sheriff's site discussing the situation on Baldy.

This link discusses another hiker gone missing over the weekend.

This link provides info on the high-visibility ongoing search for actor Julian Sands who disappeared on a Baldy hike over a week ago.

Baldy is a pretty straightforward hike under "normal" conditions. But as we've seen locally, being unprepared or unaware of what you are getting into can come with a cost.

Speaking of cost, anyone know if the great State of Kaleefornia charges for rescue? On Baldy the County Sheriff's department seems to be running the show.

baldy.jpg

Apparently these gentle slopes, when covered with hard pack snow and ice, are quite dangerous for the unprepared.

Last edited:
I do not think that California charges for SAR, not yet anyway, although legislative bills are pending. Just NH, ME, VT, ID, OR, and HI so far, and all with limitations, such as for negligence, I think.

Last edited:
I do not think that California changes for SAR, not yet anyway, although legislative bills are pending. Just NH, ME, VT, ID, OR, and HI so far, and all with limitations, such as for negligence, I think.

I think the VT statute only allows for billing in the case of someone needing rescue after using a lift to access out of bounds areas.

If you have not been following this winter's drama on Mount Baldy, you might find the following interesting:

Unusually wintry conditions in the area have caught many hikers unprepared. The result is many rescues, several deaths and a missing in action.

A short hop from LA, Mount Baldy might be considered the Franconia Ridge of the West. Scenic, quick and easy to get to for millions of people, and not too demanding.

Here's a link to the San Bernardino Sheriff's site discussing the situation on Baldy.

This link discusses another hiker gone missing over the weekend.

This link provides info on the high-visibility ongoing search for actor Julian Sands who disappeared on a Baldy hike over a week ago.

Baldy is a pretty straightforward hike under "normal" conditions. But as we've seen locally, being unprepared or unaware of what you are getting into can come with a cost.

Speaking of cost, anyone know if the great State of Kaleefornia charges for rescue? On Baldy the County Sheriff's department seems to be running the show.

View attachment 6959

Apparently these gentle slopes, when covered with hard pack snow and ice, are quite dangerous for the unprepared.

That photo's a bit deceptive. While the standard routes are just plain hikes, there are also routes that are pretty demanding. This time of year, people like to climb up / ski down the Bowl, which is roughly equivalent to Tuckerman's Ravine. https://davidalbeck.com/photos/2008/baldy2/i32.jpg

There's also the "devil's backbone" route which is kind of like Katahdin's Knife Edge. Not necessarily difficult, but you don't want to slip.

And it's 10,000 feet above sea level. While not deadly, for sea level dwellers, you'd notice your lungs working harder and you would probably be slower.

It’s the west coast version of Mount Washington in late August.:D::)