Local hiker completes Presi traverse in 12 straight months

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dr. Dasypodidae

VFTT Supporter
Reaction score
As I believe Cath replied in a thread that I initiated about Alex MacPhail’s H2H record of 12h,11m set in 1963 (Madhouse to Cata to Porky Gulch to Lakes to Pah to Zool to Ghoul to Flea to Lone), a lot of amazing hiking exploits occur in the Whites about which we may not be aware.

On Tuesday, February 9th 2010, Pam Bales from Thornton, N.H., with hiking partner Erica Khan, from Gloucester, Mass., completed 12 straight months of Presi traverses (all the summits from Madison to Jackson). Over this time frame, they completed 25 full Presi traverses.

Many of you may not know Pam, who describes herself as a “low-key person.” I know her as a fellow member of PVSART, where we have worked together on many litter carry-outs in the Whites over the past five years. I believe that she is on PVSART’s “winter qualified dispatch roster” (and, if not, should be); she was on the long and strenuous carry-out from high on the Tripyramids in early February 2010.

Pam is one of the strongest hikers I know, but also one of the humblest and most unassuming. She is not list-oriented; for example, she has not completed the NH4s in any season (needs Owls Head). Pam hikes for the joy and views, hence the Presi’s, Franconia Ridge, and the like. She has hiked an out-and-back solo from Crawford’s to Madison, hitting all the summits in both directions, on a day when she could not find someone to share a car spot. She and Erica also have hiked the Pemi Loop on many occasions, with their best time around 10 hrs, always counterclockwise.

Assuming that she allows me to post this note, Pam and a few of us are now required to get re-qualified every year on PVSART by hiking up Lafayette via the Skookumchuk Trail; I leave you to determine what that means. Pam is one of a number of strong women on PVSART, which include our Field Team Captain, as well as our GPS expert and trainer, to name a couple. Out of all my associations, PVSART is by far and away my favorite for camaraderie.

Presi Traverse is a routine day for Pam. She loves to be above treeline. Always a pleasure to hike with.
As well as being a strong team member she is the first to offers words of comfort to victims and their families.
PVSART girls rock!

That's incredible, but I believe it. It's something I'd love to do, (after having done one traverse in perfect weather and conditions).

I bet she's seen some awesome weather.

Pam is one of the strongest hikers I know, but also one of the humblest and most unassuming. She is not list-oriented . . . Pam hikes for the joy and views . . .
One of the dictionary definitions for a hiker is "one who goes on extended walks for pleasure". From what is said in the write-up about Pam, I'd say she definitely meets the definition of a true hiker!

Take a bow, Pam - you've earned it. Congratulations!

Pam Bales completed her 24th month in a row of Presi traverses, this time solo the last week of February. Erica Khan also completed her 24th month in a row of Presi traverses a couple of days later. So, their Presi runs continue.

Also, this past November, Pam solo-rescued a hiker on the cone of Mount Washington; the guy was lying down on the ground, hypothermic, and getting covered by snow. This rescue was one that did not involve NH F&G or PVSART, so did not make it into the MUL.

Last edited:
Congrats Pam!

This is the side of her most people see, unless they blink:

Pam%20and%20Cath%20P1010427.jpg

(psssst: It's all about the water bottle.)

Someone better tackle her before she tries for 25! Doesn't she know how dangerous it is and she is a woman?! Look at the picture, she is even forcing some young girl with pigtails to not run out in front of her! Tisk tisk.

Keep running Pam, and don't let'em catch you!

you ladies rock...

that is quite an accomplishment considering that most of us sissys wait for "Presi" days to get up there....

as for Owl's Head...whats wrong with that??

Assuming that she allows me to post this note, Pam and a few of us are now required to get re-qualified every year on PVSART by hiking up Lafayette via the Skookumchuk Trail; I leave you to determine what that means. Pam is one of a number of strong women on PVSART
Am I allowed to camp halfway :)

I'm always glad to hear what tough hikers are available to rescue me if I need it :)

I love the fact that she doesnt like list and climbs the routes she loves over and over, thank youuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu Pam. years ago, I adopted the same creed and its a great way to do what you want, not what the list dictates, that is imo the way it should be everyday in the mountains. I think Pam rocks and from what Ive read, she is one tough hiker, very impressive.

While briefly out of VftT posting retirement today, I am compelled to follow up on another thread that I initiated over a decade ago. Pam Bales went on to complete Presi traverses in 75 straight months, perhaps her most remarkable two traverses being those in November and December fairly far along in her run that she sandwiched around a kidney donation to her sister, the late December traverse against her doctor's wishes, of course. During her run, she and I made several solo winter Presi traverses in opposite directions by spotting one another's vehicles at opposite ends; she always traversed the Presi's north to south, so I acquiesced and hiked south to north, with the benefit of a distinct elevation advantage.

Not long before Pam retired from PVSART and hit the road to spend more time with her kids in the Southeast and Southwest, she successfully pulled off a dramatic winter solo rescue of a guy intent on committing suicide in the Washington-Clay col. "Not on my watch," she told him. Maybe there is a thread that I cannot find on VftT about this story, which for a long time was available outside the MUL paywall, but no longer appears to be. Fortunately, Ty Gagne's (author of "Where You'll Find Me" and "The Last Traverse") "Footprints in the Snow" is available through Dartmouth's digital archives of Appalachia (see link). There were rumors before the pandemic that Hollywood was interested in this story.

https://digitalcommons.dartmouth.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1155&context=appalachia

Dr. Dasypodidae, thank you for sharing that story about Pam Bales's rescue of John.

Hello Dr. D; it has been quite some time since we met at Woodstock Station back when Spaderman and I were chasing the Winter 4K list!!

I have not posted here in quite awhile, mostly because I haven't been hiking (anything of significance, that is) for the last few years. The story of Pam Bales and "John", which you were kind enough to link to, is an extraordinary tale of compassion, determination, guts and strength. Thanks for posting that link to the Appalachia article by Ty Gagne, and many thanks to Pam and all good SAR folks who are the true heroes of the High North!! Kind regards and all best wishes.