Local Hikes: Anticipating the Gathering Storm (11-Dec-2008)

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1HappyHiker

Reaction score
For me it was rather “iffy” what to do today in terms of hiking. There was little doubt that a snow/sleet/rain event of some sort was going to hit, but the exact timing varied from forecast to forecast.

Just a short walk (or car ride) from my home in Bethlehem, there’s a view down Rt. 302 toward Twin Mountain and the Presidential Range. When I took a peek today, it looked somewhat un-inviting! So, rather than get part way up some mountain and then have the storm hit, I opted to do a local hike on local trails near my home. (Actually, I did most of this trek via X-C ski . . . first time this season!)

My destination was the old Maplewood Train Station as seen in the first photo below. This station now sets abandoned and deteriorating in the woods. However, during the glory days of the railroads in the White Mountains, this station was on a par with other stations like the one at Crawfords (at trailhead for Avalon Trail near the Highland Center), and Fabyan (near Bretton Woods ski area and the Mt. Washington Hotel).
100_0506.JPG

Mt. Prospect:
Well, after doing this relatively short trek to Maplewood Station, the storm still had not hit. So, I jumped in the car and drove over to the Lancaster area to do a hike up to Mt. Prospect located at Weeks State Park. Rather than walk the Auto Road up to the summit, I used a route that I had done a few weeks ago. This route involves bushwhacking from the top of the slopes at the Mt. Prospect Ski Tow area. It’s only slightly faster via this route. I opted to do it only because it’s more enjoyable than a road walk, at least for me.

Anyway, from the top of Mt. Prospect, I could see the “gathering storm” beginning to form, as shown in the photo below. On a fair weather day, there are sweeping views of the Presidential Range, Franconia Range, and much more. However, because of the overcast conditions, these views were missing today.
100_0500.JPG

But, even though the sweeping vistas were unavailable today, there were the usual pleasant views of things like the picturesque fieldstone tower on the grounds of the Weeks estate as seen below.
100_0504.JPG

BOTTOM LINE: I didn’t hike to anywhere “famous” today. But nonetheless, the two local hikes I did were enjoyable. And maybe some folks would agree that you don’t always have to hike to a famous “brand name” place to have fun. To me, just being outdoors in the Whites is a treat, regardless of the venue!

1HappyHiker

Last edited:
Awesome! I'm amazed the train station is actually in that good of shape - how long has it been abandoned?

I need to check out Prospect one of these days - I think I need to bump it up on the to do list!

I really have to get to finishing the book Forest & Crag by Laura and Guy Waterman, only half way through it. I hope there's some info about the old station. Great photo. Would love to visit it.
DaveG.

Excellent!

Great photos! Weeks State Park may not be that famous, but if it weren't for the Weeks Act, there would be no White Mountain National Forest. John W. Weeks of Lancaster, Congressman, Senator then secretary of War, he was instrumental in the creation of the WMNF. He may be one of my top mountain heroes.

KDT

spooky old buliding and a great shot....

can you say Blair Witch...

the view from Prospect is excellent and unexpected..really gives quite a panorama..

hats off to you..I heard the forecast and slept in a bit then went shopping:rolleyes:

More Info

Some have asked for more information about the abandoned Maplewood Station.

First of all, to answer Rocket21’s question, the station was abandoned in the early 1920’s.

And secondly, please let me demystify this place just a bit. Although I choose to access this abandoned station via local paths through the woods near my home, the station is located just a short distance off the current day Maplewood Hill Road (also called Pig Hill Road on some maps) in the village of Bethlehem. It’s tucked away in the woods on the grounds of the Maplewood Golf Course in Bethlehem, NH. Since this is private property, and since this is a very old building, anyone visiting this place should do so with the utmost respect and care.

Very nice, thanks for posting the photos. What a shame to let the building just melt away intot he ground.

Bethlehem has some of the most amazing archiceture in my opinion. It is like a study of Bungalows and Victorian estates. I wish someone would do a photo journal and history of the town and the buildings...

hum...

I love old buildings and trying to imagine the people who were around when it was in it's heyday and how they dressed and talked and what their lives were like. Pretty neat stuff.

Thanks for sharing.

Responses to Replies

Did you go up to the top of the tower on Prospect?
Nope . . . closed for the season . . . but I have been up there . . . awesome view!

I really have to get to finishing the book Forest & Crag by Laura and Guy Waterman, only half way through it. I hope there's some info about the old station. Great photo. Would love to visit it.
I don’t know if the Forest & Crag book talks about the Maplewood Station, but the Bethlehem Heritage Society has published an excellent little 15 page booklet about the railroads and railroad stations that used to be in Bethlehem. It’s entitled “Bethlehem Railroads” by Paul B. Moccia. I don’t recall how much it costs, but it’s minimal. You could call them at 869-3330, or write to them at: Bethlehem Heritage Society, PO Box 148, Bethlehem, NH 03574.

What a shame to let the building just melt away into the ground.
I agree. Especially since it sort of represents an indirect link to so many of the trails we hike today which are the direct result of the railroads (both logging & passenger) which once flourished in NH and throughout New England. So, it is sad to watch the slow death of a structure such as this.

The chances are extremely remote, and it’s insanely naïve of me to even think that perhaps this posting will somehow connect with a very wealthy individual or organization who would undertake a restoration of this relic of the past. It would be quite an expensive challenge to restore this building to its near original state. Many structural features are missing from the shell that remains. If you look at the old post card below, you’ll see for example that the tower-like structure is no longer there, nor are the covered porch-like structures, etc.
MaplewoodStation.jpg

What a shame to let the building just melt away intot he ground.

I have to agree with you, it is a shame to see such a building be slowly absorbed back into the soil. Counter it with this thought, however. If anybody gets a chance to visit out west and hike to some of the remote ghost towns of say, Colorado, New Mexico, or Montana, its obvious no one is maintaining them in their state of decay. Yet, that's what makes them alluring. Its their state of present existence, not what they were, but what they are now that makes them unique as well. Our imagination, while we stand there with an eerie wind striking your back, that's all you need to conjure up what was. It is a shame to see it melt away, but I also hope if its going to melt away it does it on its own terms, and not by human hands.

It reminds me of when as a kid my brother and I were able to gain access into the old stables for the Crawford House before it burnt down. There were still harnesess and reins draped over the stall doors, the smell of leather was still there, permeating the entire building. It was living history. I think of that when I see this picture too. To think, people would come and go from here, some to vacation, maybe start over with a new job, or even calling it quits and heading somewhere else.

All this being said, 1HappyHiker, I believe this is one of the most unique and favorite, of mine anyway, photos I've seen this year. It does more than just transfer an image, its more than just a photo. Its a way to transfer ourselves. Great job.

train stations

Here is a bit more info and pictures of some of the old train stations in Bethlehem

http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~nhbethle/

I believe one of the stations (or part of one) was restored/renovated and it is now a residence ?. It is on rte 142 (if you are heading West on rte 302 through Bethlehem, 142 is a right turn after the Irving)
1Happyhiker may know for sure where this is!

From Wikipedia

" Then, in 1867, the railroad came to Bethlehem Junction. With it traveled tourists from Boston, New York and elsewhere, many to avoid respiratory ailments in the low pollen count environment of "the highest town in New Hampshire" (as claimed on a present-day sign in the village, although several other towns in the state are higher"

"Eventually, over 30 hotels would line Bethlehem's streets. Seven trains arrived daily, some direct from Grand Central Station, stopping at Bethlehem's five depots"

Here is a bit more info and pictures of some of the old train stations in Bethlehem:

http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~nhbethle/

I believe one of the stations (or part of one) was restored/renovated and it is now a residence ?. It is on rte 142 (if you are heading West on rte 302 through Bethlehem, 142 is a right turn after the Irving)
1Happyhiker may know for sure where this is!
If you have read this far down the thread, you’ve probably by now read more info about Bethlehem, NH than you ever cared to read!:)

The original intent of the thread was merely to share a few brief comments plus a couple photos about two local hikes that I did on December 11th. And, I thought that some folks might be interested in seeing a photo of the old Maplewood Station since it’s quite picturesque in its state of decline, and also since it has an indirect link to many of the trails we hike today that utilize former railroad right of ways.

But anyway, if you care to know even more, the sister (or brother) station to the Maplewood Station that Zman mentioned in his reply was called the Bethlehem Depot, and it was originally located on Park Avenue in Bethlehem. However, many years ago, it was moved to its current location at 12 Birchmere Lane (aka Church Street) in Bethlehem. It is now a private home, slightly remodeled, but still pretty much recognizable as its former self.
Below is a photo of how it looks today.
bethlehemgl3.jpg

Last edited:
I just love these old buildings and the archiceture and history of towns like Bethlehem! The juxtoposition between the 'working man's' Sear's and Roebuck Bungalow homes and the grand hotels is astounding.

I am always amused by the number of homes that are of the bungalow style and very pleased that so many have kept them as they were.

I have been visiting the Bethlehem area for 20+ years now. The renovations and the reborn hotels and golf course have been amazing and wonderful to watch. As are the restorations done to so many of the bungalows.

I recently read a book of fiction, which is more than likely based on a lot of historical facts, the titel was 'The Lost Constitution'. I believe the author is William Martin, but that may not be right... It talks a lot about the Crawford Notch area, and a whole lot about the early railroads and logging and the early Grand Hotels. It covers a lot of information on the town of Livermore off of the Saco River Road, the foundations of the former logging buildings and saw mill can still be found there. An interesting and fun read.

It would be wonderful to see someone take on the project of restoring some of the former train stations to their former grand appearence. These buildings can teach us all a living history of how this area was tamed and began to support year round residents.

The differences in the architecture from the humble bungalow to the grand hotels are as striking as the differences between the average year round resident and the 'summer people' who live there only a month or two.

I still think I would love to see a book about the history and the architecture and how the town became what it is today.

Thanks for sharing the photos, and who knows, maybe there is some train loving philanthropist out there who reads these posts!

: )

As kids we used to walk the old train track through the woods behind the school all the way down to the Maplewood - that was about 30 years ago and you could still see some of the wooden rails along the way.... now there is not much of a trace left! I haven't been to the old train station for a long time :)

For anyone interested, in the study of the Adair Inn, also in Bethlehem, there is an awesome book of all the grand homes of Bethlehem, their original names, and their history. I spent a good hour reading this many years ago while visiting the place (as well as a long, long time reading though a vast collection of old issues of "The Echo" that were stored in the basement)! Needless to say, that book had some fascinating lost information on the architecture of the older buildings of the town!

The town library has some good resources as well, including some old books and maps.

I noticed on one old map that up on the hill across the street from the aforementioned train station there was some sort of tower structure, a bit to the west of Swazey Lane... this is now a wooded hump where there used to be fields and is above the golf course. Always wondered if there were old foundations up there but never did manage to wander up there to find out.

As kids we also used to find all sorts of old cellar holes and a dilapidated building up in the woods above James street on the side of the mountain - probably all buried and rotted away now :)

PS - that train station is creepy, but nowhere near as creepy as the house on the trail up North Kinsman from Easton! :eek:

IMG_5479small.jpg

Last edited: