Long weekend in the Catskills

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tom Rankin

Reaction score
We started Friday Morning and walked up to Balsam Lake from the Mill Brook side. Easy enough hike, just a tiny bit of snow near the summit, possibly from a recent snowfall, as it was on the trees, not the ground. The cabin survived the winter well enough. The tower lost 1 section of chicken wire. Not bad. Beautiful views from on high, and nice to talk to a group of 3 that caught up to us, one of whom works with Laurie's Daughter-in-law. Small world...

Back down and out to a meeting of hiking groups that Laurie attended, while I drove around the Pepacton Reservoir taking pictures, mostly of birds. I tried to see the fire tower from the bridge, but this must not be the section we can see from the top. Any ideas where on the water one can see the BLM tower?

The next morning we met a large bunch at the Spruceton truck trail, (including PARidgeRunner and Muddy Bottom), and did lean-to maintenance and peakbagging. Why not mix business w/pleasure? :D We strolled up the the John Rob lean-to and cleaned up a little trash. Then we went up to the tower where Gordon had opened up for us. The cabin and tower both looked great to me. We could see some rain in the distance. While heading down to the Devil's Acre lean-to, we saw a little snow in the woods. We also started getting rain which turned to hail! It was pea-sized for the most part. We all managed to keep up a good attitude and marched on. By the time we got to the lean-to it had stopped. We took a brief break and then headed up the highway to Leavitt. Easy to find the canister, and then down we went on the DP to the beautiful Diamond Notch Falls and back to the car, where a 12-pack of cold beer was waiting for us. :D

Sunday, we again hiked with PARR and MB and a crew of lean-to maintainers on Table and Peekamoose. The day started out with a bald eagle sighting at the end of the Rondout Reservoir. They were in a large nest in a tree just to the left of the viewing area. We started from Denning and did an out and back. In spite of the sunshine prediction, we had very little, but no rain. The usual view points did not disappoint. The lean-to is in ok shape, but could use some paint and a new outhouse door, (just like the Devil's Acre, btw, so much for privacy in the privy! :eek: ).

All weekend we saw tons of wildflowers, including a HUGE meadow of Trout Lilies on Table. We saw 3 types of Trillium as well.

All told, we walked 26 miles this weekend, a marathon of sorts thru the beautiful Catskills woods! :)

Eagle Pics:

Preening

e1.jpg

Look closely, there are 3 of them there!

e2.jpg

great pics Tom, 26 miles isn't happening for me :(

Tom, only a 12 pack for you and Laurie? I'm surprised that's all!

IC, I wish i lived closer also, when we paddling? Gotta get into shape.

Much better! I was hoping to go to Lake Placid this weekend to check out a pack canoe but plans have changed. Maybe I'll get to go early June and stop at a few breweries on the way. Have a nice weekend.

Nice pics, Tom! Did you get those on the way home, Sunday? With a 3 hour drive, we resisted the temptation to open that growler of Hurricane Kitty. Tasted mighty fine when we got home, though!