Looking for partner for late February presi traverse

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Natlife

Reaction score
I am looking for a partner to do a winter presidential traverse at the end of February or beginning of March, weather permitting.

I am turning to VFTT obvisously because I would like to find someone with a lot of wisdom to share. I would like to spend two nights without dropping under treeline if possible. I am realistic about my expectations and my goal is to gain experience even if we have to call it off and resort to mostly below treeline contingency trails in the area to make the most out of the trip.

I was thinking about doing it North-South over two half days and a full day. So a night near Madison with the option of dropping down to the Valley Way campsite if the forecast is bad, and a second night near Eisenhower. I'm in very good shape an could probably do it in a day, but I want to spend the time up there. I'm not concerned about pace and can take three full days if need be.

I have a relative reference as to just how bad the weather can be as I was on the summit of Washington on Nov 2nd of last year. I have good sub zero camping experience, just not above treeline.

Drop me a PM if you would be interested in joining me.

Thanks,

Martin

I would be interested in this if its over the weekend and I don't have to take a day off. I could perhaps manage going up Friday and make it to Valley site or Madison then staying around Eisenhower Saturday sounds good. I'm on a limited phone right now. Sorry for not sending a private message.

As long as the scheduled trip doesn't interfere with my Pemi Traverse...

It's finally time. We've put so much testing and preparation into this trip. We'll be a party of three heading up from appalachia tomorrow right before noon. If you see an orange bright and dark checkered tent feel free to stop by say hi.

Looks like a nice stretch of weather for a hike. As long as the winds don't get nasty should be a good one.

Friday 11:30 AM edit Forecast this AM is for higher winds, could get interesting

Last edited:
Bring Ice Skates... :) two pics that were sent to me today:

24507235103_13b35d3b48_c.jpg

25107722706_01e3730455_c.jpg

Microspikes might not be enough.