Looking for relatively flat trails

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jeanvabu

Reaction score
I've been on a hiking hiatis due to physical therapy for my knees. However, this weekend I want to get outdoors and explore. Does anyone have suggestions for some flatish trails up in the Whites?
-Jen

I don't know how flatish you are looking for, but the lower part of the Gale River trail is fairly gentle. There is a spot that overlooks the river with a nice view of North Twin. A good place to have lunch and turn around.

The Wilderness Trail from Lincoln Woods is completely flat - follows an old railroad bed for 3 miles as it parallels the river. You can make a left before the bridge 3 miles in and within a few hundred yards enjoy some nice cascades.

The Zealand and Ethan Pond Trails are flat all the way to the pond. If there is any color out now there are great views of the Zealand valley as the trail passes below Whitewall Mountain.

Greeley Ponds is pretty gentle, not as flat as the Wilderness trail but no railroad ties either.

Mountain Pond is a favorite of mine...2 mile loop with no elevation gain, and some very nice views...

Several years ago, a friend wanted to write a book of flat hikes for cardiac patients etc. but the "50 Hikes" publisher wouldn't touch it. There are a lot of old railroads, cedar swamp boardwalks, etc. once you start to look for them.

Kevin Rooney said:
The Wilderness Trail from Lincoln Woods is completely flat
It actually has a gradient of ~100 ft/mile or 2%, which may not be apparent to fit hikers but is definitely noticable when skiing and to my friend with knee trouble who hiked it a couple weeks ago.

RoySwkr said:
It actually has a gradient of ~100 ft/mile or 2%, which may not be apparent to fit hikers but is definitely noticable when skiing and to my friend with knee trouble who hiked it a couple weeks ago.

You're right, Roy. I should have said 'mostly' flat. If it were completely flat, the Pemi River would be called the Pemi Long Lake ...

Last edited:
Not in the Whites but...the Appalachian Trail from Cloudland Road to Joe Ranger Road in Vermont is relatively flat and has nice "Sound of Music" type views. Also, the AT from Hanover to Moose Mountain, with a few short exceptions, is pretty flat and quite lovely.

The maps the ATC publishes have a very handy strip along the bottom that shows the elevation profile. Also I think you can do that on google earth, but I'm not sure how.