Looking forward to

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A friend of mine was helping another friend who has thru paddled the Northern Forest Canoe Trail Northern Forest Canoe Trail in both directions (whose name I cannot remember) and I went to a presentation he did on his second trip where he went east to west, predominantly against the flow of spring runoff. I had researched the Saint John river trip years ago and ran into the same issue that unlike Western Maine and NH through a quirk in geography, rivers flow north to northern Maine and then takes a U turn up in Fort Kent before heading south to the Atlantic. This watershed map shows this quirky area Maine's Watershed Regions - Maine Rivers Therefore the only gauges USGS WaterWatch -- Streamflow conditions that apply are the ones in on the Saint John as the headwaters thaw before the downstream leading to frequent floods down river in Fort Kent. If you look at the Penobscot river gauges, they reflect the normal flow heading south and are not a great indication of what is going on north that far north of there. Talk to anyone who frequents the Allagash over the long term and its crapshot between ice out and the crowds hitting the river. The best source may be the NFCT folks or locals in Maine. This link may be of interest. When is the best time to start a thru-paddle? Several paddlers offer advice They do have a facebook group for their thru paddlers Northern Forest Canoe Trail Paddlers | Facebook