Looking like a snow dump up North

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

peakbagger

Super Moderator
Staff member
VFTT Supporter
Reaction score
10 to 12" in Gorham at 1400 feet at 7:30 AM on Friday. My guess is Randolph Hill Road in Randolph will have higher totals. Its denser snow than the last fluffy stuff. Its definitely going to lock in all the underbrush in the woods. Get your snow toys of choice out. Cold temps and sun tomorrow should lock in some crust.

The one caveat is parking lots may not be plowed Saturday AM due to the storm timing. My guess is crews will head home tonight for a break and do clean up operations tomorrow.

Last edited:
Peering out the window it appears close to 16" here on this side of the hills. Nice to have a big snow as it's been a while here.

Peakbagger- I just heard a report of an earthquake centered near Gorham around midnight last night. Pretty sure I heard this as I went out after midnight to a canopy shed to watch and listen to the snowfall and it was coming down real hard. I went inside and heard a rumble and with the heavy precip. I thought it was thunder snow.

Last edited:
There was definitely an earthquake nearby last evening. I was sleeping but woke up with a major adrenaline rush. I have set of solar panels on the roof and on the front of my house and I get a small rumble when the snow slides off, this was similar but significantly more rumbling. I have been in minor west coast quakes and they have far more side to side motion and a longer period of cycling, this one was equivalent to the house being dropped a few feet. BTW the snow appears to have stayed on my panels which implies a denser snow. It will be interesting if there were any slides started by this in the ravines.

There was a similar earthquake in Milan of similar magnitude during the daytime about 25 years ago. I was in a training session in Berlin. The pulp mill was still running and it also, felt like the building had been picked up and dropped with an accompanying rumble We were sure that the Chemical Recovery Boiler had exploded. It took a while to figure out what happened.

10 to 12" in Gorham at 1400 feet at 7:30 AM on Friday. My guess is Randolph Hill Road in Randolph will have higher totals. Its denser snow than the last fluffy stuff. Its definitely going to lock in all the underbrush in the woods. Get your snow toys of choice out. Cold temps and sun tomorrow should lock in some crust.

The one caveat is parking lots may be plowed Saturday AM due to the storm timing. My guess is crews will head home tonight for a break and do clean up operations tomorrow.

We're not so fortunate in NE CT. Been pouring all day and with the warm temps yesterday and this morning the snow melted really fast. I have a puddle in my driveway that is at least 3 times the size of the biggest puddle I have ever seen there. Almost a foot deep in the middle. Can't wait for that to freeze solid tonight.

We're not so fortunate in NE CT. Been pouring all day and with the warm temps yesterday and this morning the snow melted really fast. I have a puddle in my driveway that is at least 3 times the size of the biggest puddle I have ever seen there. Almost a foot deep in the middle. Can't wait for that to freeze solid tonight.
Sounds like your going to have some great pond hockey potential.

2.9 magnitude. Funny because I just happened to see the symbol and thought it was unusual.

About a foot or so in MWV. Tired of plowing but also kind of fun.

Enjoy the powder folks!

That brought back memories - New Zealand has a similar website, complete with "did you feel it?" submission form. But there were a lot more dots on the New Zealand map. (The USGS site includes lots of quakes from around the world, but if you compare to national sites like New Zealand's, you'll see the USGS dataset is missing a lot of quakes.)

2.9 isn't bad... New Zealand hasn't had one of those (not counting offshore epicenters) in... (checks quickly)... about half a day. (They actually had it tomorrow, according to the calendar... )

https://www.geonet.org.nz/earthquake/weak

shoot... looks like they're using different intensity scales?

Last edited:
As the sun comes up in Southeastern CT, we have a coating to maybe an inch. The places that were bare at the end of the rain have no, however, I can still see some blades of grss poking through. Cold this weekend here so ski areas can try and make back what they lost.