Looks like another one of those Ammo Rescues

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

peakbagger

Super Moderator
Staff member
VFTT Supporter
Reaction score
WMUR had a report this morning that a hiker "without adequate equipment for the conditions" was injured a leg heading up Ammo and then injured the other one heading back down by slipping. My assumption of lack of adequate equipment is lack of traction?.

Looks like some folks are skipping checking trail conditions these days. There also seems to be less trail conditions reports of late when I look at New England Trail Conditions and Trails NH.

NETC still gets a fair amount of submissions yet at the same time so few people seem to know about the site. It's an odd paradox.

Higher elevations (even in the notches) can present challenging conditions as you guys know. I'm still sore from a few weeks ago and that's just from various 52WAV hikes. Summer conditions at trail head and full on winter trail conditions at higher elevations. I don't really enjoy the trail conditions this time of the year but I enjoy the solitude b/c this season keeps a lot of people away.

Back-to-back litter carry outs on Saturday night, with second one on Lafayette’s Bridal Path. Did not get home until 12:30 am. The nearly six months off since Emily Sotelo’s search and recovery in November was unexpected and a relief.

NETC still gets a fair amount of submissions yet at the same time so few people seem to know about the site. It's an odd paradox.

Myself and many others have posted links to NETC in the two big facebook groups, yet over and over questions about conditions pop up there. Maybe because NETC has an old-school web look to it, and you can't leave a comment, thumbs-up, or a pic. Plus they don't have a phone app -- maybe that would help drive folks to it.

My young adult son is going up with friends at the end of this month, without me for the first time (yay!). I made sure he has a link to NETC, MWObs and a few other good sources. He knows better than to ask in those groups!

Too much reliance on all these sites anyway. Folks should simply learn to be cautious and prepared. Plenty of general info on backcountry hiking to learn from plus the various articles and books on rescues. I know that is a generalization and it a good idea to use available resources, but at some point people need to just learn the basics.

Do you find the snow stakes to be inaccurate?
What snow stakes?

I know that the accuracy of the modeled snow depth is not reliable for trip planning. Anecdotal evidence: I've left snowshoes in the car because the NOAA models showed no snowpack only to find a mid-thigh to waist deep snowpack while solo bushwhacking up in Pittsburg. Also, the models are not going to show the monorails, which can have a significant impact on the ease of a hike.

Yeah, you get to higher elevations in the woods and there can be snowshoe depth snow all the time at this time of the year. Happened to me a few weeks back and I was ok bare booting but it was a typical post-hole adventure for the last 3/4 mile or so to summit. Wasn't even a monorail. I was lazy and didn't bring the shoes (and people coming up behind me as I was headed down didn't have shoes either -- they had spikes, which of course are useless in deep snow). No regrets, but reminded me of the shoulder season issues we face. Start early, watch the weather and learn about what conditions you can expect for the day in the higher elevations at various times of the year.

What snow stakes?

I know that the accuracy of the modeled snow depth is not reliable for trip planning. Anecdotal evidence: I've left snowshoes in the car because the NOAA models showed no snowpack only to find a mid-thigh to waist deep snowpack while solo bushwhacking up in Pittsburg. Also, the models are not going to show the monorails, which can have a significant impact on the ease of a hike.

The ones on Mt Washington and all the winter service huts and RMC camps that you can find by poking around the NOAA website. The ones around Pittsburg probably aren't at a useful elevation for you, though. I figure popular routes have monorails and unpopular ones don't.

Too much reliance on all these sites anyway. Folks should simply learn to be cautious and prepared. Plenty of general info on backcountry hiking to learn from plus the various articles and books on rescues. I know that is a generalization and it a good idea to use available resources, but at some point people need to just learn the basics
Before all this media it was about getting out there and figuring it out for oneself. In other words, it was a self reliant adventure and much more rewarding than just pecking at some keyboard. Then walking around in the woods with your neck bent over looking at a screen. Given also that a lot of that digitally available info is not always correct. Does it stand to improve or get worse with AI? Truly unplugging and reaping the benefits of doing so seems to be more and more of an anomaly every year that goes by.

I see over on the 4K FB page at least one person who was surprised they found snow up high in the trees. No snow on bare summits and no snow at the trailhead, it must be snow free, right? Lots of people bringing traction. All the FB post show smiling selfies (who takes one with them looking like they've been working hard.) so it's easy to see how people think it's easy now. Many of us here have seen significant spring snow even in June.

FB certainly has to be taken with a grain of salt at times. Interesting how some things show up there before they do elsewhere in the media albeit again take it with a grain of salt. For instance I have seen on FB yet not in mainstream media as I type that there has been a series of auto break ins at the Falling Waters Trailhead over this past weekend. Sorry for the thread drift.

Saw that also and I'm heading there this weekend. Thinking I may leave a note saying the car is open. I agree about taking FB with a grain of salt, but in a group of over 77,000 people, if one percent of the members take it as gospel, that's 770 people who may get in over their heads.

Last edited:
Saw that also and I'm heading there this weekend. Thinking I may leave a note saying the car is open. I agree about taking FB with a grain of slat, but in a group of over 77,000 people, if one percent of the members take it as gospel, that's 770 people who may get in over their heads.
It's the Darwinian multiplier.

Before all this media it was about getting out there and figuring it out for oneself. In other words, it was a self reliant adventure and much more rewarding than just pecking at some keyboard. Then walking around in the woods with your neck bent over looking at a screen. Given also that a lot of that digitally available info is not always correct. Does it stand to improve or get worse with AI? Truly unplugging and reaping the benefits of doing so seems to be more and more of an anomaly every year that goes by.
I'm heading to the Chic Chocs this weekend, and will be carrying spikes and snowshoes. It's definitely shoulder season up there (and there's no phone service anyway). Sure, it's a bit of extra weight, but it's useful to be prepared for varying conditions. Weather station at the summit of Mont Ernest-LaForce is still showing 30+ centimetres, and there's probably more in the trees.