lost hiker, be on the lookout.

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When the DEC starts a search for someone, is it based solely on if the person fails to sign out at the end of their hike? I presume there's more to it than that, since I'm sure people simply forget to sign out all the time.

Nate said:
When the DEC starts a search for someone, is it based solely on if the person fails to sign out at the end of their hike? I presume there's more to it than that, since I'm sure people simply forget to sign out all the time.

Last year we were hiking Sawteeth and got a ride out down Lake Road. We had forgotten to sign out of the register as the kind person drove us the whole way to the lower parking lot. We never got called to see if we made it out ok. IT was to late to go back and sign out as we realized it once we got back home.

Anyways I hope the guy missing is safe!

1ADAM12 said:
Last year we were hiking Sawteeth and got a ride out down Lake Road. We had forgotten to sign out of the register as the kind person drove us the whole way to the lower parking lot. We never got called to see if we made it out ok. IT was to late to go back and sign out as we realized it once we got back home.

Anyways I hope the guy missing is safe!
Wow, missing since 6/6/6. This is the brother of someone Laurie knows at work. I hope he's still ok...

As for sign in/out, you're probably right, but it is always a good idea to print legibly and accurately what you are doing. That way if they do check and you just forgot, a simple phone call clears things up!

A friend used to work search and rescure for the DEC and they don't start a search until someone is reported missing. They don't go by the logs to start the search. They do use the logs to try and trace the route to help with the search.

Maybe some people forget to sign out but there is also a possablity this person did a thru hike, out another trailhead. I have done this a few times but when leaving the other trailhead, I do sign myself out incase some does think I was lost, they can cross reference the books.... do you think they did that?

I've hiked ,fished , hunted and kayaked in there, lots of old roads, swamps , thickets. I believe someone got lost there a few years ago and walked along the stream just a few hundred yards from the road for well over a day. Hope all turns out well.

Here's another missing hiker story...

...this one has a happy ending.

A well known teacher and basketball coach from my town went missing over this past Memorial Day weekend after he decided to do a short bushwhack to a small pond within the Five Ponds Wilderness, from his campsite. He made it to the pond, but was unable to find the way back to his campsite. He struggled through blowdown for 3 days before being spotted by a search helicopter.

Good reminder as to how unforgiving the wilderness can be, and how an error in judgment or preparation can cascade into a near tragedy. Sobering.

missing hiker in Five Ponds Wilderness

As of yesterday the Adirondack hiker in the original story is still missing and being searched for. I spoke with a searcher that had worked all day Saturday with no luck.

Nate said:

Unfortunately , it doesn’t sound good, but we can hold out hope.

As for registers, I can’t be sure (not being DEC), but I was under the impression that just failing to sign out of one is not gonna initiate a search by itself. I’m sure many of us have forgotten a time or two, I have. I think what happens is that they are primarily used to narrow searches down. For example, let’s say someone fails to show up at home. Family reports that so-and-so did not come home and was hiking in the Indian Lake area. That would trigger a search and Rangers then search registers till they find the persons name. If they find that they have not signed-out and is “passed due”, then the “destination” portion of the register can give an indication of where the missing party might be.

That’s always been my impression anyway.

I just returned from that search this weekend, off-trail travel in that area is very difficult. It took us two hours to make a 1,000 meter sweep. Teams were being inserted by helicopter and walking out. The bugs were horrible, the worst I've ever seen. I feel that the DEC has done all that could reasonably be expected, tens of thousands of tax payer dollars have been spent and volunteers have worked for two weeks. Our supervising ranger was called away for a search for lost hikers on Buck Mountain whilst we were in the middle of our search pattern.

Jack Coloney was last seen on June 9th, he had taken his fishing rod with him and was a professional photographer. He has been lost on another occasion, and walked a very long distance. Nobody believes he was suicidal or that he staged his disappearance. If you travel alone, off trail, in this kind of country, it is quite possible to disappear and never be found. I am not blaming him, I take similar risks myself, but this is the reality of what real wilderness means.

John Graham said:
If you travel alone, off trail, in this kind of country, it is quite possible to disappear and never be found. I am not blaming him, I take similar risks myself, but this is the reality of what real wilderness means.

Thanks for your effort John and Amen to your quote.

Keith