Maine bug season is... when?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

linehant

Reaction score
A galpal wants to hike Katahdin this summer. She's thinking early June.

A question for y'all... is there a "bug season" up there that, similar to NH, one would seek to avoid? Not talking skeeters so much as them dreaded black flies.

When is the best time to hike Katahdin (ie. snow is mostly gone, and the bug season winding down)?

Thanks.

I would avoid June at all costs. I climbed Katahdin in late June a few years ago and the bugs were horrendous. We literally spent about two minutes on the summit and then fled for our lives.

You might want to consider going in mid to late July... by then the black flies at least should be gone.

- Ivy

linehant said:
and the bug season winding down)?

Thanks.

I'll tell you when that season actually does wind down
;) I've had some of the greatest trips in the fall before the park closes. In my experinces, bugs up there (and around the rest of Maine for that matter) get bad real quick after a few warm days. I've already found a tick on my dog...

I have climbed Katahdin several times in late May (Memorial Day weekend), and there was still snow above 3000'. The blackflies are usually just before peak (still enough to make you wish you had a flame thrower) :eek: . Early June would be peak time for insects, so unless you are trying to break off a relationship, I would go during a much more pleasant time, like late summer or fall. :D

I've gone three times, around late July to early August. The bugs have never been too bad around those times. I would agree with everyone else and say avoid May/June.

There's a website for black fly reports in Maine:
http://www.mainenature.org/blackfly/bfindex.html

In my experience (and this seems to make sense), they're out when the flowers in the area are in their first major bloom. Where I live that's early May - early June.

Back in '94 I went to BSP twice, the first time in mid-July and had to turn back because of the black flies (not directly, but it's near impossible to rock scramble and swat flies at the same time); late July they were nearly gone.

edit: my guess is that at Katahdin the season is approx. mid-late June to mid-late July. Early June is probably OK. You get a couple of weeks after snowmelt before the black flies show up, and then you get about a week's warning before they start biting.

edit 2: the above estimates were for higher elevations (not sure how much anyone should trust my estimates anyway ;) ), the black flies are going to be out earlier at lower elevations so maybe you should just wait until late July. Black flies aren't the only bad guy; I was doing trail work just east of Moosehead Lake last year on July 4th weekend, and the midges were hellacious. I have to hand it to the blackflies, at least they know how to bite without being very painful (when they're biting).

Last edited:
well, they're not too bad in February :D

The worst I ever had was on a July 9th weekend (I think 2002) on South summit. I could not take it. Last year we were there for 4 days on Father;s Day weekend. They were only bad on the last day at Abol. Does this answer your question?
Abol Dinner
Aw, heck the views are so great that you won't see the bugs :), but June would most definitely not be my first choice.

linehant said:
When is the best time to hike Katahdin (ie. snow is mostly gone, and the bug season winding down)?
I think that Labor Day weekend is an EXCELLENT time to hike Katahdin.

Oh, and bug season in Maine this year will apparently begin on May 22nd, the morning I step off the AT in Caratunk. At least that is my sincere hope.

Thanks, everyone, for the info. I'm "lobbying" for a date in late July or late August.

One more question, if I might. For you rock climbers... any routes on Katahdin that you would recommend? The goal of the trip is to hike the summit, but we're both climbers and wouldn't mind doing a route or two while we're up there.

Thanks again.

linehant said:
One more question, if I might. For you rock climbers... any routes on Katahdin that you would recommend? The goal of the trip is to hike the summit, but we're both climbers and wouldn't mind doing a route or two while we're up there.
Get a rock book for the area. There are a number of established routes, especially from Chimney Pond. When we were there a couple of guys were getting ready to climb the "Armidillo", a popular route.

The Armadillo:

adm.jpg

If you're going to climb, check with the park in advance for regulations. When we were there, the guys were checking in with the ranger who was checking their gear, etc.

Have fun and be safe.

Pb