Missing Hiker - Mt Washington Area

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
U

Unregistered

We are hoping for some help in locating this missing hiker. Mr. Peter Shintani had planned a hike up Mt. Washington on June 9th. He has not been heard from since. He is 5’7” and 150lbs, Japanese, black salt/pepper hair and medium build. His car is parked at Pinkham Notch but it is unsure which trail he took. Currently NH Fish and Game is searching by ground and a helicopter is out searching the area by air. If you have any information regarding this person, please contact the AMC at 603-466-2721 ext 8117 or NH Fish & Game at 603-271-3361. We can email the missing persons flyer upon request. Email us at amcpinkhaminfo.org

Thank You!

I just called Pinkham to confirm this. They're sending me a photo that I'll attach as soon as I receive it.

-dave-

peters.jpg

The email address is [email protected]

yeek! That's a week that he's been missing... Why so long before someone called the authorities?

Apparently, he lives alone in Canada, and a sister tried to get in touch with him yesterday, and then called the authorities. He didn't sign the log book at Pinkhams so they have no idea on what trail he was planning to take. Doesn't sound very good.

He didn't sign the log book at Pinkhams so they have no idea on what trail he was planning to take.
If you did not go in the 'pack up' room, you might not have known the log book exists. This is one of the few trailheads in the Whites with a log book. And I'd wager that mostly only thru hikers use it.

Being from NY, I am an advocate of signing in at the trailhead.....

Simple things not done, can lead to big things if not done when your out in the wilderness. Sign the book. And they should find out how far he can really go being 70's

News from the New Hampshire Fish and Game Department

News from the New Hampshire Fish and Game Department June 17, 2009
Phone: (603) 271-3211
Email: [email protected]
For information and online licenses, visit http://www.wildnh.com

Lt. Robert Bryant: 603-271-3127
Jane Vachon: 603-271-3211
June 17, 2009

SEARCH UNDERWAY IN WHITE MOUNTAINS FOR LONG OVERDUE CANADIAN HIKER

CONCORD, N.H. -- New Hampshire Fish and Game Department Conservation Officers began searching trails near Mount Washington yesterday afternoon, and are continuing this morning (June 17, 2009),looking for any sign of overdue hiker Peter Shintani, age 70, of Napanee, Ontario, who has not been seen since 6:30 p.m. on Monday, June 8 - over a week ago.*Ground searchers are being assisted by several volunteer search and rescue organizations, including Appalachian Mountain Club (AMC), Mountain Rescue Service, Androscoggin Valley Search and Rescue, Pemigewasset Valley Search and Rescue, and New England K-9 Search and Rescue, as well as the US Forest Service and a New Hampshire Army National Guard helicopter.*It is not known which trails the Canadian hiker intended to use, a factor that complicates the search effort.

Fish and Game Lt. Douglas Gralenski summarized what is known so far about the situation:*Shintani arrived at the Appalachian Mountain Club's Pinkham Notch base camp on June 8.*He had planned to hike up Mount Washington on June 9, return to camp that night, and leave for home on June 10.*Shintani was last seen in the parking lot of the base camp on the evening of June 8.*His vehicle was found in the Pinkham Notch parking lot after his sister reported him missing on June 16.*Shintani did not sign in the hiker registry at AMC Pinkham, the Hermit Lake Shelter in Tuckerman Ravine or the summit of Mt. Washington.*Shintani lives alone, which accounts for the time lapse before his absence was noticed and reported.*

"If anyone has seen Peter Shintani since the evening of June 8, please call in the information to Fish and Game Dispatch at 603-271-3361," Gralenski said.*

Shintani is described as being about 5 feet, 7 inches tall and weighing 150 pounds.*A photo is posted at http://www.wildnh.com/Newsroom/News_2009/News_2009_Q2/search_overdue_hiker_061709.html.

No further information is available at this time.*Updates will be posted on the Fish and Game website as they become available.

If you did not go in the 'pack up' room, you might not have known the log book exists. This is one of the few trailheads in the Whites with a log book. And I'd wager that mostly only thru hikers use it.

Being from NY, I am an advocate of signing in at the trailhead.....

We are not very consistent with the whole log book signing thing...but, then again, our trips are usually only day trips and not very dangerous. BUT...that doesn't mean things can't happen even on the less dangerous trips. We do try to leave a note with the kids as to what our plans are (mountain climbing and trails planning to take)...but, I guess we'll work harder to find and sign that log book. Sounds like it could have been VERY useful in this case.

Sounds like SAR is out in force. I'll be keeping the hiker, his family, and all of the SAR volunteers in my thoughts...

There's also a log book upstairs in the main-floor information area (in the weather corner behind the topo table).

My heart goes out to this guy and his family & friends: he's missing a bunch of factors for success (alone, no sign-in, no itinerary, no word, no evidence...) and I hope the clock doesn't run out.

Thanks to the helpers,

--Mike

i was wondering what the helicopter flyovers were about yesterday while patrolling the eisenhower trail. they buzzed back and forth a couple times in the afternoon.
i seem to be noticing more sign in books in the whites this spring including at appalachia and i believe at lincoln woods. probably a good idea especially for folks who don't have someone to leave an agenda with at home.
hopefully this will somehow have a happy ending.

bryan

I haven't checked the local news yet today, but here's what I've been hearing - not surprisingly, there's a wide range of theories. Again, this is all second hand information, sort of as an update to give a feel to what SAR is dealing with:

- Helicopter search and rescue continued through early evening yesterday.
- There is a theory that he might have actually left the area and his car behind.
- There was apparently a reported sighting of someone perhaps similar in description in Tucks on Monday, not carrying a pack and seeming a bit out of sorts.
- There has apparently been some searching in crevases and caverns.

No updates from the F&G website yet... The NEK9 dogs are good - if he's gonna be found, they'll find him....

Official search is over for now

Posted today by NH Fish & Game at Search for Lost Canadian Hiker to End

CONCORD, N.H. - Unable to find any new clues after three days of searching, rescue officials will bring to a close the extensive ground and air search of the Mount Washington area of New Hampshire aimed at locating hiker Peter Shintani, age 70, of Napanee, Ontario, who has been missing for more than a week. Yesterday, more than 50 rescuers and a N.H. Army National Guard helicopter combed the rugged mountain area. The search continued today (June 18, 2009) with 22 rescuers deploying in the area looking for Shintani.

"While the ground search effort will halt, we will continue to actively seek input from the hiking public; if we get credible leads, we'll send officers to follow up," said New Hampshire Fish and Game Department Lt. Douglas Gralenski. "Unfortunately, so far we've found no reports or physical evidence that could help us trace Peter."

New Hampshire Fish and Game Department Conservation Officers began searching trails near Mount Washington the afternoon of June 16. New Hampshire Fish and Game Department Conservation Officers were assisted by searchers from the Appalachian Mountain Club, Mountain Rescue Service, Androscoggin Valley Search and Rescue, Pemigewasset Valley Search and Rescue, New England K-9 Search and Rescue, the US Forest Service and the New Hampshire Army National Guard.

"Searches of this magnitude stretch the resources of the search and rescue community," said Gralenski. "We give it the maximum effort, but there has to be an end point. We've talked with Peter's family and they have expressed understanding and appreciation of the effort that has been made."

If anyone comes across information pertaining to Peter Shintani's whereabouts since June 8, 2009, please call the N.H. Fish and Game Dispatch line at 603-271-3361. A photo is posted at www.wildnh.com/Newsroom/News_2009/News_2009_Q2/search_overdue_hiker_061709.html.

No further information is available at this time.