Missing Massachusetts Hiker located and safe

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Interestng discussion. I didn't think that the hikers code required us to be in groups..
Like Wardsgirl, I am the slowest hiker in any group, and since I do not want to have everyone go at my slow pace, I just go by myself.
I like the solitude.
I actually am overprepared for emergencies, always have a first aid kit AND a bivi sack.
I AM an only child.
I do however, check the weather before I hit the trail.
Sandy

It would appear from a re-read that neither the HikeSafe code nor the ranger are quoted as being counter a solo. The statement isn't within the paragraph quoting the ranger or in the list of rules cut/pasted from the web site. It's apparent (to me anyway) that it's the writer of the story who has the opinion.. And I guess every is entitled to theirs, although wording in the form of an opinion might have made the story more in line with proper journalism?

McLaughlin was equipped with snowshoes, a tent and overnight gear, and he had let someone back home know his plans. However, he did not follow two basic tenets of the hikeSafe code: McLaughlin was hiking alone, and he either failed to inquire about or didn't adequately account for the incoming snow conditions.*

I think what happened is that he made one mistake and then inexperienced journalist have added others from their hike safe arsenal. His mistake as a solo hiker was not to be conscious of the upcoming weather. He may have decided to camp out a second night because of that, but obviously with someone waiting for him, that would get the rescue ball rolling. Heading out solo, you have a resonsibility to those who await your return, another reason to weigh all the necessary elements.

It would appear from a re-read that neither the HikeSafe code nor the ranger are quoted as being counter a solo. The statement isn't within the paragraph quoting the ranger or in the list of rules cut/pasted from the web site. It's apparent (to me anyway) that it's the writer of the story who has the opinion.. And I guess every is entitled to theirs, although wording in the form of an opinion might have made the story more in line with proper journalism?

McLaughlin was equipped with snowshoes, a tent and overnight gear, and he had let someone back home know his plans. However, he did not follow two basic tenets of the hikeSafe code: McLaughlin was hiking alone, and he either failed to inquire about or didn't adequately account for the incoming snow conditions.*

I am compelled (reluctantly, as a constantly-solo excursionist) to clarify that the entire article is a press release from Fish & Game, not the embellishment of someone else outside the Department.

Last edited:
There is nothing in this report saying that this hiker was in trouble and/or in need of any help. It is quite possible that he was simply traveling slowly due to having to break the trail out.

Perhaps this conclusion will change with more information, but there is nothing in the report that leads me to conclude that this hiker did anything wrong or that he really needed any help.

Doug

I would be embarrassed, if I took extra time or a day and was perfectly fine, to have a press release imply I was "rescued", but then again I don't think my wife would panic and call in saying I'm missing.

I love these articles and the collective naval gazing it provokes in the online hiking community.

There is often safety in numbers, and this point gets belabored, debated, and discussed to death nearly every time there is incident in the woods.

Almost everyone sees some level of risk every day and they manage it as well as their ability and knowledge allow. When certain risks are limited to a small sector of people (hikers) society at large likes to deem these less-common risk factors as recklessness.

If you take the scene out of the woods it gets ridiculous - Imagine people blaming a mugging victim for walking alone in the city, or debating the extra effort and expense his victimhood cost.

Sh!t happens, so I do my best to be as prepared as possible. I am very grateful for all the rescue personel and do my best to not burden them.

Should I ever be incapable of self rescue, I'm glad that there are experienced and well-trained folks out there - some of whom got their experience from responding to incidents like these.

In order to enjoy freedom, whether it be in the hills or streets - we need to take responsibility - for both ourselves and others.

I'm just glad everyone is OK. The system worked.

I would be embarrassed, if I took extra time or a day and was perfectly fine, to have a press release imply I was "rescued", but then again I don't think my wife would panic and call in saying I'm missing.
When to send the searchers out after an overdue hiker is always a difficult decision. If they go out immediately, there is a high probability that the hiker is simply a bit behind schedule. If wait wait a long time (say a month for a dayhiker or week-end-hiker), the hiker could easily be dead (or has run away).

In this case, the searchers went in fairly quickly and found a functioning hiker. The report does not say whether the hiker would have made it out without help or whether he was too exhausted to make it out without help breaking trail.

It can be easy to second guess the search controllers after the fact when the state of the hiker is known, but in practice the decision of when to go in must often be made without knowledge of the hiker's condition or location.

Hopefully, any press releases would be accurate. (But in practice, they often contain errors.)

Doug

Glad to hear I'm not the only person that solos and often prefers it.

To Waumbek's point:

Weather should play a role in you planning. I dislike seeing the rain/snow cancels on many AMC trips. I understand it, if hiking with strangers who's ability I only know from a 5 minute phone call, I wouldn't be in any hurry to find out if they embellished their experience. (personally when I've coordinated a hike, I 'd rather hear about the times people turned back, not that you have done all the 4k.s That could just mean you went out a lot one summer & early fall because you had lots of spare time that year)

When I solo, often times I have two or three places I am thinking about, especially in winter. A calm warm day will send me someplace above treeline.

A more typical day may send me someplace with a brief stop on a bare summit like Pierce, Garfield or Liberty (places I've also been to at least 5x and at least twice in snow & less than fair conditions)

On a miserable, I'd still go but places like Field, Willard, Tom & Waumbek would be more likely options. (6 or so miles RT or less again, places I've been too several times. Like I said, I disliek the rain/snow cancels message - it should alter the trip though)

My camping skills are next to nil so that weather forecast would have kept me from this type of trip. Personally, based on my experience & my comfort level while I know that area a little bit, I don't know it as well as others. The idea a fairly big snowfall was happening & navigation was going to be iffy & slow - at least following a broken out trail - I'd have looked at something else.

If I'd had been on these trail 10X & was a veteran winter camper, I'd had probably been right next to him.

A heartfelt thanks to Search and Rescue for all they do. More than just being inconvenienced but actual true risk that they volunteer to go out in extreme conditions. Hopefully the individual understands the impact on other lives of not having met his seemingly over optimistic deadline. This lately has been playing a big role in speculation about limits on the freedom of our pasttime and new ways of defining reckless or negligent behaviour. Many of my hikes have been solo, often multiday in winter or winter like conditions with changing weather. If I leave on any hike the plans are clear where I'm going and when I'll be out. Along with this are discussions about possible bail outs if conditions change or I get to sore from pushing my limits.
Although there is safety in numbers, hiking with a group to me is more for the comradery. Hiking solo and winter (or other season) backpacking rewards you with experience and independence. I hate to think that someone who has never tried to hone these skills could curtail the freedom to head out in the night on solid trails, free of the masses, and set up camp deep in the woods. For centuries and longer man has been able to venture into the woods on a quest free of electronics and other "human ball and chain devices" in order to experience what they are capable of. We envy the beauty and remoteness of the home of the beasts where they manage to live comfortably and in harmony. Sad to think we may have to enjoy it someday leashed by what becomes society's perception of what is admissable!

Last edited:
The N.H. Fish and Game report seems to indicate an issue with hiking alone, but the Hiker Responsibility Code makes no mention to it. Thoughts?
Most F&G employees patrol alone, which I'll mention if they try to fine me for hiking solo :)

Of course they carry radios, check with dispatch, etc.