MITA and publicity

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jay H

Reaction score
I posted a trip report of Warren and I's 2 day circumnavigation of Vinalhaven on p.net, got a response from another member who said MITA doesn't want publicity or something like that, like they want to keep the islands not in the public domain or something like that. I never heard anything like that nor have I read anything from MITA in the package they give you when you join. Does anybody know anything about this? I just emailed MITA itself to see, but just curious. I would think that MITA would want the publicity so everybody wants to join...

Plus, some of the islands are not exactly MITA private but Maine's Bureau of Public Land (BPL) such as Little Hen Island where we camped one night, so it's not like it's MITA's little secret. I bet many of the locals know exactly what islands are BPL or MITA private or MITA public.

Jay

If MITA didn't wan't publicity,we wouldn't be in the MITA booth at the UNH Paddlesport show every year. Quite the opposite-MITA would like all paddlers using the islands in ME to know about MITA,and just as importantly,to understand the low impact and LNT principles that MITA promotes.
What I believe MITA doesn't want is info on private islands broadcast to non members. Info provided regarding access to privately owned MITA islands is entrusted to members in good faith. This would put the relationship between the landowners and MITA in jeopardy,and become a loss for all MITA members

Hi KD, got a reply from MITA, yeah, it's the MITA private islands that are to be hush hush about. I went over and deleted all references to staying on the MITA private islands on my P.net report...

Jay

I always try and protect private islands..

By not mentioning them by name in my photo gallery or in posts. The folks have been kind enough to let us use them we don't need to advertise the use. I have access to a number of islands owned by friends along the Maine coast, and they don not allow public use, so I never mention those either. If you've been to my photo galleries it will say "Barn-Private Island" etc.... Like in the picture below..

http://www.pbase.com/mainecruising/image/66288567

I did state the private islands that I stayed at were private in my original trip reports here and on P.net, but it seems MITA doesn't even want to mention that so I changed some of them to say "an island west of Deer Isle". I think I need to change some of my captions on my webshots album too...

Jay :p