Monadnock State Park And Parking

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DayTrip

Reaction score
I haven't hit Mt Monadnock in awhile with all the COVID restrictions the past two years, lot closures, etc. I was going to take a ride up there tomorrow for an early AM hike so I wanted to check if Gilson Pond Trailhead area had reopened. As I browsed the site it looks like there is now a $16 parking fee ($15 + $1 transaction fee) for Gilson Pond, the Old Tote Rd and of course the Headquarters Road. That seems pretty crazy. It also specifically states that you can't park elsewhere and walk into the park. So you need a pass wherever you come in from, i.e. Marlboro, Dublin, Pumpelly, etc? Are rangers actually patrolling and asking for passes? I think the last time I did Monadnock from HQ it was a $5 fee (it has been a few years though).

I know there are a few members on VFTT who hike Monadnock quite often and are probably up to speed on the specifics of how things are being implemented. Was curious to get an insiders "update" on enforcement with this, impact its had on the volume of hikers, are there "iron rangers" at all the parking areas now like Marlboro, Dublin and Pumpelly, etc.

P.S. To be clear on the "enforcement" piece I'm asking about entering park from non fee-based points like Pumpelly. If I choose to park in a fee area I'm not asking if I "roll the dice" and just park will I get a ticket. I'd pay the fee in that circumstance. From a non-fee area though I really don't see why I'd have to pay the fee - there are no facilities, maintenance, etc.

I have hiked the Marlboro once and the Pumpelly twice in the past 18 months since all the parks new pricing/reservations policy went into effect No patrolling or enforcement at those parking areas that I was aware of. There may have been some obscure signage at the Marlboro trail head parking but it didn't seem definitive

Here's the 411 on Monadnock. They collect the 16 bucks at the State park building(white dot trail), the Gilsom Trailhead (Birchcroft) and The Toll rd. on the weekends. On a weekdays, they only collect at the State Park building, there are optional tubes at the other trailheads. personally, I would never go to the State park route, its the tourist route for sure. I would hit the Dublin trail, the Marlborough trail or my least favorite, the Pumpelly trail. I haven't been there in years, since they don't allow dogs, wow 16 bucks is price gouging in my opinion. Just avoid the state park route and its free, 16 bucks is ridiculous.

I've Hiked Monadnock via Dublin and Pumpelly since the new parking fees went into effect. No fee tubes or signage saying you couldn't park there. I don't believe they're talking about the 3 other parking areas as far as "you can't park elsewhere". If that were the case, I'd think they would have the lots/trails closed. I have also sucked it up and bought parking reservations to park at the Toll Toad and Gilson Pond. It was a Covid thing but doubt it will ever go away. 1, more revenue. 2, does cut down on the crowds on weekends...a tad.

The website goes out of its way to bold the sentence that "you can't park elsewhere and walk into the park" but it doesn't clarify if it means those 3 parking areas with a fee or anywhere you access the park. I was gonna call but I don't think I'm going to bother. Just going to find another spot to go. I used to access Monadnock from the lot on the street at Gilson Pond and walk in but I guess those days are over. I love the Pumpelly Trail but parking there has always been a mess. My second choice has generally been the Marlboro Trail or the Toll Road route to catch the Cliff Walk, which is a great trail, especially for sunrise. I did Monadnock once from the main HQ lot and will NEVER do that again. Way, way too busy for me. It's like going to a Patriots game or concert at Gillette.

I've Hiked Monadnock via Dublin and Pumpelly since the new parking fees went into effect. No fee tubes or signage saying you couldn't park there. I don't believe they're talking about the 3 other parking areas as far as "you can't park elsewhere". If that were the case, I'd think they would have the lots/trails closed. I have also sucked it up and bought parking reservations to park at the Toll Toad and Gilson Pond. It was a Covid thing but doubt it will ever go away. 1, more revenue. 2, does cut down on the crowds on weekends...a tad.

I think the website says the fee covers up to 6 hikers per vehicle so it probably has done little to impact crowds. If you split that fee amongst a group its not that bad per person, but for a solo hiker like me that's pretty steep for what you're getting.

It is interesting how it seems a lot of out of state folks coming to New Hampshire that want to recreate think everything should be on the cheap. Then when it's not they are being gouged? Let's also remember that NH residents actually leave the State and recreate in other states too and have to pay fees just like the last guy. To be honest going to Conn. ain't that bad and congruent to NH fees. Suck it up or stay home. https://portal.ct.gov/DEEP/State-Parks/Parking-and-Camping-Fees---CT-State-Parks-and-Forests

Last edited:
Pumpelly: Parking restrictions have been put into place on Lake Rd. and the Town of Dublin may be restricting things further because people can't be cool. So, please be cool.

It is interesting how it seems a lot of out of state folks coming to New Hampshire that want to recreate think everything should be on the cheap. Then when it's not they are being gouged? Let's also remember that NH residents actually leave the State and recreate in other states too and have to pay fees just like the last guy. To be honest going to Conn. ain't that bad and congruent to NH fees. Suck it up or stay home. https://portal.ct.gov/DEEP/State-Parks/Parking-and-Camping-Fees---CT-State-Parks-and-Forests

I'm not sure I agree with that . I spend a lot of time near popular tourist attractions, North Conway, Weirs beach, the coast, people are lining up down the street to ride trains, boats, you name it and those things are not cheap. Look at the COG, that's like 80 bucks now, you need reservations or you cant even get on it.

As a CT resident and frequent user of my local parks I see lots of amenities like outhouses/porta-a-potties, paved maintained parking lots, trash cans and trash removal, etc. While it costs me nothing because it is part of my taxes I get why an out of state person would pay. Unless things have changed Gilson Pond and the Tote Road parking areas are just dirt patches with zero services. So what am I paying for? You're comparing apples and oranges in my opinion, at least at the places that I go. $16 to reserve a patch of mud in the woods seems a bit much to me. I have no issue paying for services when I actually get services....

Pumpelly: Parking restrictions have been put into place on Lake Rd. and the Town of Dublin may be restricting things further because people can't be cool. So, please be cool.

Thanks for that update Ken.

As a CT resident and frequent user of my local parks I see lots of amenities like outhouses/porta-a-potties, paved maintained parking lots, trash cans and trash removal, etc. While it costs me nothing because it is part of my taxes I get why an out of state person would pay. Unless things have changed Gilson Pond and the Tote Road parking areas are just dirt patches with zero services. So what am I paying for? You're comparing apples and oranges in my opinion, at least at the places that I go. $16 to reserve a patch of mud in the woods seems a bit much to me. I have no issue paying for services when I actually get services....

Gilson Pond is a fairly large lot that I think was paved (may have just been hard pack gravel), now at least. Have only parked there once in Oct. 2020. It also had 2 or 3 pot-a-potties.

Wow how things have changed. Used to go there year round all the time when I lived in Ma. While on the side of it looking out I had a awakening that made me move from Ma to Northern NH. And Since moving to Norther NH and have a dog don't go there . The Ranger even let me camp with my truck camper in the main lot once in winter. Snowshoed the Cliff Walk to Summit. That was the year after the Ranger from there died on Twin Mountain during the long MLK holiday cold blitz. He was the one who drove him to Lincoln that time.

Reservations now. Amazing. But have seen this now at my National Parks out West since I've been going there every season changing to reservations and things will just keep getting worse.

Still Monadnock is worth it as Rangers are on duty as well as parking and plowed parking lot's etc. But I hike only with the wife so it's really $ 8 per person. Can't buy a fast food meal for that but can spend all day then some on that mountain.

Used to go on daytrips from Ma to Andrew brook trail Sunapee all the time. Just did that last summer since dogs are allowed and was that way. Free but got early for parking on mt road.

And I see the locals went ballistic over the overflow of parking and trash.

Last edited:
Gilson Pond is a fairly large lot that I think was paved (may have just been hard pack gravel), now at least. Have only parked there once in Oct. 2020. It also had 2 or 3 pot-a-potties.

I remember it being packed gravel and no porta-potties but its been 2 years since I've been so that way well be different now. It is a good sized lot which was nice. I was always pretty confident I'd get a spot there even on a weekend.

I live 15 minutes from Monadnock and hike it once a week and was just up there yesterday. If you have a NH state parks pass (which I do) I simply drive in without a reservation and no fees at all. Even when the sign at the end of the headquarters road says "park full reservations required". They let me right thru with no issues. They have been fine to me. As far as crowds well yeah it is Monadnock. You don't go there for solitude. However if you go early enough (before 8 am) it is never very crowded and may only see a handful of people on your way up and don't really run into crowds until halfway down. Of course much less crowded on weekdays. This is on the white dot trail from the headquarters which is the busiest. If you veer off to the right on the cascade link to either the Spellman trail or Red spot trail you will see practically nobody until the top.

I live 15 minutes from Monadnock and hike it once a week and was just up there yesterday. If you have a NH state parks pass (which I do) I simply drive in without a reservation and no fees at all. Even when the sign at the end of the headquarters road says "park full reservations required". They let me right thru with no issues. They have been fine to me. As far as crowds well yeah it is Monadnock. You don't go there for solitude. However if you go early enough (before 8 am) it is never very crowded and may only see a handful of people on your way up and don't really run into crowds until halfway down. Of course much less crowded on weekdays. This is on the white dot trail from the headquarters which is the busiest. If you veer off to the right on the cascade link to either the Spellman trail or Red spot trail you will see practically nobody until the top.

Stupid question but can a non-resident get a NH Parks Pass or is that a resident only thing? I'll have to check. May be worthwhile depending on cost. I almost always do Monadnock as a sunrise, sunset or dead of Winter frigid cold hike so I can usually avoid the crowds. Some combination of Birchtoft to Red Dot/Spellman/Cascades/Pumpelly in some combination (and frequently skip the actual summit cone depending on crowds) is what I usually do, although of late I've taken a liking to the Cliff Walk Trail.

Yes you can. I live in Mass and have had a NH Parks Pass for years. $60 a year. Use to run Jan 1 to Dec 31 but now the pass is good for a year no matter when you purchase it. Plus it is good at most NH Parks which charge entrance. Exceptions are places like Hampton Beach and a few others if I remember correctly. If you were to hike with someone with a pass the pass allows the car and all occupants in, up to 6 people, free of charge. You have to buy the pass online. There is $3-4 extra, maybe even a dollar or two more for shipping. It comes in a box with other Parks, worthless, info thus the parcel post rate. As Finnski mentioned pass holders don't have a problem getting in even when the sign say Park Full no entrance without a reservation. We always start by 7AM so we never have a problem. And the reservation system has reduced the crowds and the trails are much the better for it. Stay off the Dot and Cross and you run into very few folks except for the summit.

Yes you can. I live in Mass and have had a NH Parks Pass for years. $60 a year. Use to run Jan 1 to Dec 31 but now the pass is good for a year no matter when you purchase it. Plus it is good at most NH Parks which charge entrance. Exceptions are places like Hampton Beach and a few others if I remember correctly. If you were to hike with someone with a pass the pass allows the car and all occupants in, up to 6 people, free of charge. You have to buy the pass online. There is $3-4 extra, maybe even a dollar or two more for shipping. It comes in a box with other Parks, worthless, info thus the parcel post rate. As Finnski mentioned pass holders don't have a problem getting in even when the sign say Park Full no entrance without a reservation. We always start by 7AM so we never have a problem. And the reservation system has reduced the crowds and the trails are much the better for it. Stay off the Dot and Cross and you run into very few folks except for the summit.

Awesome! Thanks. There are a few other NH parks I have started going to lately so if they fall under this plan the pass is probably a no-brainer for me.