Monadnock State Park And Parking

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's not correct at Monadnock Finnski. That may be true for other NH state parks if they don't employ the reservation system. I'm not sure whether the reservation system is universal for all state parks. I questioned several rangers and mgmt at Monadnock as to what I needed to do if I had non pass holders ride in my vehicle. I was given different answers by everyone so I finally utilized the reservation system when two non pass holder hiking friends were going to hike M with me. Since I am a pass holder I made the reservation. I was asked for my pass number, vehicle make and model, color, license plate number and state and perhaps another thing or two. I was asked how many people would be in the car and I said 3. I was not asked for season pass info on the other two. I was charged $1 for the admin fee. Since then I don't make any reservations if non pass holder friends ride up with me. I point to my season pass sticker on my window and give them my pass number and have never had an issue. Again check with other state parks. If they use the reservation system it should be universal and the same policy followed. However, if they don't have a reservation system then individual and family passes my be required.

So if I go mid-week, can I park at the Dublin Path without a pass or reservation?

So if I go mid-week, can I park at the Dublin Path without a pass or reservation?

I don't think anyone can say definitively yes or no. During the summer, especially on weekends, they did have a ranger at Marlboro and Dublin trailheads checking on reservations, which personally didn't make much sense for the Marlboro trailhead which has pretty limited parking. I also have heard that when not staffed at these locations a ranger was dispatched to at least drive through and check for reservation permits which were suppose to be displayed on the dashboard. I haven't heard whether that policy has continued during this fall. I also don't know what they could/would do if you didn't have a reservation displayed. I'm sure some may chime in that will say they parked there, especially during the week, without issue. Personally your best bet would be to park at Dublin Lake trailhead area for Pumpelly and go that route. As far as I know there has never been a requirement for a reservation there. Only issue I have heard is as Ken pointed out, if you are illegally parked you are likely to get ticketed by Dublin PD.

I don't think anyone can say definitively yes or no. During the summer, especially on weekends, they did have a ranger at Marlboro and Dublin trailheads checking on reservations, which personally didn't make much sense for the Marlboro trailhead which has pretty limited parking. I also have heard that when not staffed at these locations a ranger was dispatched to at least drive through and check for reservation permits which were suppose to be displayed on the dashboard.

First, there's only 3 lots you can purchase a reservation for. Main Headquarters, Toll Road, Gilson Pond. Second, I hiked it via Dublin last summer with no pass. There were no rangers and no fee tube. Why would you have to display a parking pass that's for one of the 3 lots that need one, for the 2 that don't? And it does say on the pass which lot it's for. I still say it's being stuck with to try and help keep the crowds down. Example: This is what it states under the Gilson Pond reservation tab... (No access to White Dot or White Cross - 6 hour hike). Ummm, yes there is. Birchtroft, to Cascade Link, to either. No clue why they would state that. Unless it's to keep the clueless, who can't even read a map, from heading to those 2 trails. And if you were to take Cascade Link to White Dot from Birchtoft, it only adds about .8 RT to the summit.

Lastly, if you try to book a reservation during the week, you can't for Toll Road or Gilson Pond. Only Headquarters. I was told by a knowledgeable person, it's because you do not need a pass for Toll Road or Gilson Pond on weekdays. Short of calling the Division of Parks and Recreation, I'm sticking with what I think I know or is valid info. :cool:

OK fair enough . I have only gone in by myself with my pass and never had reason to ask about more than one non passholder. Was only going by the general NH park link I provided. Actually I just remembered this. When I have taken my wife over a few times I got in free and they charged her $5 each time?

JJ, I agree that they only have 3 trailheads listed requiring a reservation on the state website. I hike there 2-3 times a week and I can assure you that this past summer they had rangers stationed at both Marlboro and Dublin trail heads, at least on some weekends, to either collect fees or to ensure that folks parking there had reservations. Was it every weekend I don't know, but I was present at more than one discussion with management or mtn patrol personnel where it was noted that this ranger and that ranger were assigned to Dublin and Marlboro trailheads. It wasn't to welcome hikers or answer questions. I am friends with the mgr, assistant mgr, all mountain patrol folks, and most of the rangers and spend time chatting with them when I am there. I try to stay tuned in to what is happening at the mtn, so you can believe what you want. What I have stated is either from personal experience or from top management folks who I trust. Yes, you're right it is very easy to get to the White Dot from Gilson Pond, you can also get there via the Hinckley trail or any of a number of cross country ski trail and the Harling Trail, so why does the website say you can't get to WD from Gilson. I don't believe everything I read on the State website. I just received an email from one of my hiking friends who said he parked at Dublin 3-4 times since summer and at Marlboro once this summer and once this fall, all during the week, and did not receive any notice on his vehicle that he needed a reservation or to stop and pay which is what they typically do at the HQ parking area. So it may be that they are not checking Dublin or Marlboro during the week. I doubt very much that you don't have to either pay or have a reservation at OTR during the week. There is a ranger stationed there starting around Patriots Day till around Veterans Day. I have seen folks park at HQ during the week without a reservation, because crowds are less, but they were still charged $15 for a single person/car. I suspect the same policy is in effect for Old Toll Road trailhead. I'm not sure what is going on when using Gilson Pond area as your trail head.

Finnski I don't know why they charged your wife $5 if she was in your car. I can only suspect miscommunication amongst the staff or it's because you don't pay for your season pass because you are a NH resident over 65. I can only tell you how it worked for me, a paying out of state season pass holder using the provided reservation system. I paid nothing for those other two non pass holders other than the $1 admin fee. I'll show you my receipt next time I run into you at the mountain.

I have not seen it in this thread but NH resident seniors also receive a free pass into any NH State Park. Hampton Beach, Monadnock, Slilver Lake (Hollis) etc.

No I'm not 65 yet so don't get a free pass. I just checked my log. The last time my wife went with me was Dec 2019. Maybe it was different then? before covid?

First, there's only 3 lots you can purchase a reservation for. Main Headquarters, Toll Road, Gilson Pond. Second, I hiked it via Dublin last summer with no pass. There were no rangers and no fee tube. Why would you have to display a parking pass that's for one of the 3 lots that need one, for the 2 that don't? And it does say on the pass which lot it's for. I still say it's being stuck with to try and help keep the crowds down. Example: This is what it states under the Gilson Pond reservation tab... (No access to White Dot or White Cross - 6 hour hike). Ummm, yes there is. Birchtroft, to Cascade Link, to either. No clue why they would state that. Unless it's to keep the clueless, who can't even read a map, from heading to those 2 trails. And if you were to take Cascade Link to White Dot from Birchtoft, it only adds about .8 RT to the summit.

Lastly, if you try to book a reservation during the week, you can't for Toll Road or Gilson Pond. Only Headquarters. I was told by a knowledgeable person, it's because you do not need a pass for Toll Road or Gilson Pond on weekdays. Short of calling the Division of Parks and Recreation, I'm sticking with what I think I know or is valid info. :cool:

Wow if all of this is true than the verbiage is even more messed up than I initially realized. Really needs an update if this is the case. Quite confusing.

I just tried to book a reservation for tomorrow at Gilson as a test and it shows dates for every day of November. When you pick a date and number of vehicles it does only show SAT and SUN as needing a reservation. That's pretty messed up. It does indeed seem like they are just trying to discourage people from coming in with broad and vague statements.

Will see what time I wake up on the day I go. Have yet to do Pumpelly yet as I basically have to drive past all the other trailheads to get there. If early, that sounds like a plan, if not, than will dry Dublin.

I know they've been having issues with hikers parking on the shoulder of lake rd.for Pumpelly trailhead...do they want to limit parking altogether? i.e. issue a set amount of parking passes?.I know some complaints from lake residents about the increase of people using that trailhead should it also be of concern the impact all of those "vacation" homes have on the lake?...not sure hikers are having the same negative impact that those homes have.I haven't been there in a few years
but I do remember all those "No Trespassing" signs attached to the trees a good distance along the lower part of the trail.
Not sure hikers are traipsing about people's property on their way to the mountain.:rolleyes:

I know they've been having issues with hikers parking on the shoulder of lake rd.for Pumpelly trailhead...do they want to limit parking altogether? i.e. issue a set amount of parking passes?.

Controlling, or attempting to control the the parking for the Pumpelly Trail would be up to the town of Dublin. The trail-head is outside Monadnock State Park.

Parking on Thursday at the Dunlin lot was easy and while there was some traffic, spaces were okay on the Veterans' Day Holiday. Still plenty of people up on the summit, the majority of which as usual up from the State Park