Monroe, More Fun Than A Trip To Disneyland, 4/16/2011

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BIGEarl

Reaction score
April 16, 2011: Monroe

Trails: Ammonoosuc Ravine Trail, Crawford Path, Monroe Loop Trail

Summits: Monroe

Hikers: Trail Trotter (Sue), Bobby, Kevin McAllister, Caleb, John, and me

The day’s plan was for a Southern Presidentials Traverse. We all met at the Highland Center, spotted a vehicle at the Webster-Jackson trailhead, and headed to the lower lot at Marshfield Station for the hike.

The forecast predicted moderate winds of 15 – 25 mph until mid afternoon when they were expected to increase at elevations above 5000 feet. Based on our hike plan we should have been south of Eisenhower or possibly past Pierce before this time. At that point we were only concerned with the ~4000 foot predictions and they were still at 15 to 25 mph.

The Ammonoosuc Ravine Trail is solid. Except for Kevin, we used snowshoes for the hike to the LOC Hut. Kevin Bare booted most of the climb and caused no trail damage at all. Drift off the monorail and expect a posthole as we observed with three other hikers that started up the Ammonoosuc Ravine Trail but actually wanted Jewell – (oops, do-over).

On the hike to Gem Pool we found several areas where tracked out routes diverged and re-joined each other along the way. Pick one that looks good to you and go for it – they’ll come back together soon. We reached Gem Pool and the climb started. A couple of us raised the Televators for an assist on the long, steep climb. The trail above Gem Pool has very little ice and we were able to comfortably make the climb on snowshoes. Roughly half way to the hut Caleb commented that he and John were hiking slow and holding us up. They said goodbye and we continued ahead.

At the treeline, the surface changed and we had more of an icy crust to work with. The snowshoes still offered adequate traction. A short distance below the hut Kevin pulled out his crampons. There was never a flotation problem but now there is a traction problem. Crampons were probably the best solution for the conditions near and above the hut.

We made a brief stop at the hut for a little shelter from the very strong wind. Clearly, we were experiencing a wind level significantly above the predictions. It was time to make sure we were layered up before making the climb to Monroe.

We left the hut and headed along the Crawford Path to the Monroe Loop. In hindsight, we should have ignored the trail and simply hiked a direct line from the hut to the summit. By following the trail we stayed exposed to a very strong northeasterly wind all of the way up. Plus, the route had much more hard ice and less crust. The trail was a significantly more difficult way up to the summit.

Toward the top of the steep climb there is a place where the trail transitions from steep to a moderate climb. At that point there was a small area of ice we needed to get past. I was in the lead and made life tough on myself with poor foot placement. Once I started up I saw no choice but to continue. I was able to hook the snowshoe crampon on an exposed rock and make it past the ice. Sue was next, and watching the show. She had the place all figured out before taking her first step. Next was Bobby. At the transition Bobby lost his footing and slid a short distance back down the slope. His unintended descent was stopped by a group of exposed rocks. Ouch! At that point Bobby decided he had enough fun for one day and intended to head back down. Bobby also indicated he was fine and wanted us to continue on the planned hike.

Sue and I stood above the transition waiting for Kevin to appear. After a while I noticed him above us on the trail. He took a different route to the east. We got together and explained what had happened and that Bobby was headed back down. Bobby and Kevin traveled together and that was Kevin’s ride headed for the hut. Kevin made the u-turn and headed down as well. Sue and I headed for the summit, a couple hundred yards away.

As we walked toward the summit the wind was very high. We have hiked on 50+ mph conditions before and I’m sure we had them again. Staying upright was a challenge. We made our way to the summit, got a few pictures, and stepped behind a couple large boulders to decide our next move.

Looking to the south we could see the ridge slowly disappear. The wind was way above the predictions and thick, low clouds were blowing in from the southeast. I envisioned essentially whiteout conditions very soon. We made the decision to u-turn and try to catch Bobby and Kevin.

Instead of attempting to descend the same way we ascended Monroe, we took the direct line approach. It was still difficult due to the amount of and limited crust. We slowly picked our way through the descent and eventually reached the same general elevation as the hut but we were a short distance south and needed to work our way back toward the hut before starting down the Ammonoosuc Ravine Trail.

Without any hesitation at all we took off down the Ammonoosuc Ravine Trail looking for Bobby and Kevin. Along the way we came upon other hikers and skiers. We asked if they had seen the pair but none had. Where could they have gone? Knowing there were places where multiple tracked-out routes exist, it seemed possible the folks we met were ascending on one route and Bobby and Kevin were descending on another route. We generally kept moving toward the trailhead. Along the way we stopped briefly to adjust layers, change footwear, and place a call to Bobby’s cell phone – evidently it was off.

We reached the trailhead without finding them along the way. After the short walk from Marshfield Station to the lower lot it was a surprise to see their vehicle still parked there. Where could they be? Could we have passed them on one of the places where multiple tracked-out sections of trail exist?

Just as we reached the hiker parking area a vehicle pulled up and stopped beside us. It was Blaze. He also hiked the area and was finishing up for the day. I asked if he was headed toward The Highland Center, he said he was, and I asked if he could give us a ride to our other vehicle, which he did. Thanks Blaze, you saved us a huge headache. We transferred our things from Blaze’s vehicle to ours and headed straight back to Marshfield Station to wait for Bobby and Kevin – or go looking for them.

Over the next half hour a couple with skis came walking to the trailhead lot. Then, a couple hikers that we saw at the LOC Hut came down the road to the trailhead lot. Finally, in walked Bobby and Kevin. Both were moving well and there was no obvious problem with either.

Evidently, instead of descending the steep section between the LOC Hut and Gem Pool, they left the trail and followed a “switchback” pattern descent on the solid crust. Somewhere along the way we overtook them. We continued hiking as quickly as we could in an attempt to catch them, not knowing we had already gone past.

There were handshakes and hugs all around. We were all happy to be together and safely out.

Sorry Bobby for the unplanned ending to the day. I really hope the bumps and bruises are as minor as you have said. Kevin, it was good to see you again after quite a while.

Thanks Sue, and sorry. The next one will be better – I promise.

Thanks again, Blaze.

I’ve posted some pictures from the day.

BIGEarl's Pictures

Straight to the slideshow

:)

Last edited:
Nice report BigEarl.

CrazyBob and I along with a couple others ran into you guys just below Monroe. You and Sue were putting your crampons on. The winds and the headgear made it difficult to hear each other. I thought you may have recognized me by the flamingo in my pack! maybe not... Glad you guys all made it down ok.

Petch

Nice report BigEarl. .......
The winds and the headgear made it difficult to hear each other. I thought you may have recognized me by the flamingo in my pack!

Petch

Thanks Petch,

Sorry but I recognized you, and so did Sue. I saw your lips moving and was able to read a few of the words you were saying but couldn't hear a thing up there. :eek:

Funny thing about the flamingo. As soon as I saw you I knew who you were and started looking for the flamingo but never saw it. I was thinking maybe it blew from your pack. ;)

We all had plenty of fresh air up there.

It was very icy up there last weekend when we went up, we bypassed the hut and stayed west of the summit, initiating our ascent from below the hut where we had a clear sightline, following snowfields to the false summit. This is definately a no fall Zone.

Took the eastside snowfields to the hut upon descent. The trail has been pretty much an ice sheet since March (maybe even longer?)

Sounds like you had a fun adventure with a happy ending!

Last edited:
Great report Earl. John and I made it to LOC and then pushed North (away from the wind) thinking that Jewel trail would be a bit less windy. Boy were we wrong! The winds on both the Westside Trail and upper Jewel were fearsome. We had several knockdowns and by the time we reached the trees we were spent and half crazy from all the roaring..

It was great to meet and hike with you and Sue (and Kevin and Bobby too)! Thanks for including us! We'll see you all in the spring and not before ! :) Caleb

I’ve posted some pictures from the day.

BIGEarl's Pictures

Straight to the slideshow

Great report Earl. John and I made it to LOC and then pushed North (away from the wind) thinking that Jewel trail would be a bit less windy. Boy were we wrong! The winds on both the Westside Trail and upper Jewel were fearsome. We had several knockdowns and by the time we reached the trees we were spent and half crazy from all the roaring..

It was great to meet and hike with you and Sue (and Kevin and Bobby too)! Thanks for including us! We'll see you all in the spring and not before ! :) Caleb

Hey Caleb - thanks,

It was good to meet you and John. You might want to check the calendar... Even though it may not seem like it at times, it is already spring. :D

Based on the day's forecast, climbing in elevation to Westside Trail had to move you into higher winds as well. :eek:

Glad you two made the trip safely.

;)

Hi Earl - nice report and pics as usual.

Question for you as well as any others on the Ammo Ravine trail that day - I'm planning my first spring trail maintenance trip in the next few weeks. If it's still solid snow from trailhead to LOC, waterbars won't be accessible yet, so I'll hold off a couple weeks on those. As for blowdowns, with the variety of ski and hiking "rogue" trails that form below gem pool, it can sometimes be hard to tell if there are blowdowns on the trail proper or not, but any info would be greatly appreciated. If there are a few trees across the trail, I'll get them before the snow is gone. Basically I can start Saturday or 2 weeks from Saturday but don't want to jump the gun and find little can be done yet.

Any comments?

Thanks!

It was great to see Earl, Sue and Kevin again, and a pleasure to meet Caleb and John.

All in all, the hike up was fine. Right up until the slide. As far at the Disneyland reference, maybe I should have paid for that ride. My feet slid out from under me and there wasn't much to grab onto. I bounced over a few exposed rocks and after about twenty or so feet, I was able to slow the slide by grabbing at rocks, finally stopping. It took a few seconds to assess the damage, fortunately everything seemed to work. I was sore all over and it was painfully apparent that the hiking part of the day was over. I let Earl and Sue know that I was heading down and that if they wanted to continue, that was fine.

I descended to the hut and met up with Caleb and John, who were headed for the Jewell. Due to the steepness of the trail and the battering my legs took, I descended the Ammo in a switchback pattern to make things easy on myself. Kevin caught up to me and we wandered back and forth, finding the easiest grades and eventually getting back on the trail. Kevin did a quick evaluation of me and determined that I was in good shape. I guess that as we were finding an easy route, Sue and Earl passed us.

It took a while to get to the parking lot and we were surprised to see Earl's truck there. All's well that ends well. I have some great souvenirs from this one - bruises and bumps all over, but no lasting damage.

Hey Petch, sorry I missed you and Bob, it has been a while!

The last time I hike with Sue and Earl was on the Twins and we got blasted by the wind. This trip, the wind was pretty nasty also. Maybe it's me?

http://a-little-out-there.smugmug.com/Hiking2011-1/Almost-Monroe-416/16677338_FZFjtw

Last edited:
Hi Earl - nice report and pics as usual.

Question for you as well as any others on the Ammo Ravine trail that day - I'm planning my first spring trail maintenance trip in the next few weeks. If it's still solid snow from trailhead to LOC, waterbars won't be accessible yet, so I'll hold off a couple weeks on those. As for blowdowns, with the variety of ski and hiking "rogue" trails that form below gem pool, it can sometimes be hard to tell if there are blowdowns on the trail proper or not, but any info would be greatly appreciated. If there are a few trees across the trail, I'll get them before the snow is gone. Basically I can start Saturday or 2 weeks from Saturday but don't want to jump the gun and find little can be done yet.

Any comments?

Thanks!
Hey Raven, Thanks.

As I recall, there were no blowdowns that presented any problems at all. I agree, a rogue trail could have led us around a problem area but nothing jumps out at me. A short distance before Gem Pool there is a section of side hill that was partially brushed out. It was great and I recall commenting about it as we passed through. Suddenly the brushing stopped and we were forced to grab the growth on the uphill side of the trail for stability as we hiked along. Continuing the brushing through the remainder of this side hill section of trail would help everybody.

Above the upper crossing the trail gets pretty tight in a couple places. It could be simply the depth of snow and the trail surface will drop back into the cleared corridor once it melts off.

Thanks to you and all of the other Adopters for your hard work in maintaing the trails.

Thanks for the details Earl. I'll keep an eye on these areas in particular as the snow depth drops.