Monroe Skyline (Long Trail) Conditions?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Basurablanca

Reaction score
Some friends and I (relatively experienced winter hiikers/skiers/campers) are thinking of doing the Monroe Skline on the Long Trail from the Battel Trail to Mad River as an overnighter this weekend. We're planning on using tele skis, skins and bringing crampons. We'll try to stay at the Glen Ellen Lodge, but will carry tents just in case.
Anyone been up there recently or have any insight into the trail conditions? I'm thinking bulletproof on the top of the ridge...hoping we get some snow up there over the course of the week...

Thanks in advance,
bb

Last edited:
Well yesterday's storm didn't amount to much, so I'd say that conditions up there will be hard packed ice. Temps are going to be taking a nosedive starting weds, thru the weekend. Highs in the Champlain Valley will be around 3 to 5 above, nightime temps down near -20. So up there except much colder. No real snow in the forecast thru the weekend.

I don't think it wil be much fun up there.

You make it sound so appealing! ;-)

I think that if we decide to do it we'll have to take the just-happy-to-be-out-there attitude. Getting turns will not be the focus.

...or maybe we should consider another venue...

I may be up in the mountains camping (love cold weather), but we're thinking of just bringing snowshoes. Possible places are Coolly Glen/over to Skylight, or just up on the flanks of Mansfield. Or may just grab some Long Trails and watch football :D

I snowshoed up the Jerusalem trail to mt Ellen 10 days ago. The ridgeline is mostly in the trees there so the snow is held better. There where plenty of drifts with packed crusty stuff in between. Some must have melted off but I would be surprised if there wasn't still a lot up there. The approach should be good too just watch out for the wet seeps where the snow has melted completely.