Mount Haystack and Basin Mountain - 2/25/13

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TelemarkMike

Reaction score
A day on Haystack with no wind! I climbed on Monday for that reason. Visibility wasn't great, but at least I could stand and not crawl. You could see down below, but not the summits.

I intended to hit Haystack, then if all went well, go north on the Great Range to the Wolf Jaw col and drop back down to the Garden. Unfortunately I got to the north face of Basin and realized my crampons had fallen off the side of my pack. There was no way I was going to descend Basin without them. I backtracked and found them a little ways below the ladder on the south side. At that point I could have turned around again and continued, but I decided to head to Shorey's and return.

I made the first tracks of the morning on Haystack and Basin. I also got to stomp out someone's bare boot track coming down Basin and Shorey's.

The State Range trail had a couple inches of new snow since the gathering. I got that all cleared out for Cory D's whirlwind pass through later in the day

All in all a good day. I had started at 6:15 and was on Haystack at 10:30, Basin at 11:50, and back to the car at 3:15. A nine hour day. Only saw a solo hiker coming out of Slant Rock Leanto on his way back to the Garden, and a group of women who were staying at Grace Camp and were out doing a little snowshoeing.

Pics and more info at:
http://www.offonadventure.com/2013/02/haystack-basin-mountains-22513.html