Mountain Sunrise

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ridgewalker

Reaction score
This photo was taken at a retreat center in Jefferson, NH a month ago. It was a glorious sunrise on the backend of Mt. Madison that called for me to capture that moment. Would you analyze the composition please:

2117503860096806265OCtuWc_th.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Specs:

make:NIKON
model:E4300
f stop:f/4.9
focal length:24.0 mm
flash:flash did not fire, compulsory flash mode (16)
metering mode: pattern (5)
dimensions:1024x371

Your thoughts would be appreciated, thanks.

Ridgewalker

Last edited:
This is a very dramatic image. It captures a very nice moment when the angle in the shafts of morning light complement and reinforce the ridge lines above and below the shaft of light. It is a very simple image which is good. I like the shades of gray on the right.

These can be very subjective subjects. Many critics might prefer more elements or variety in shapes, and others may appreciate the simplicity and minimalism presented here.

The picture adheres closely to the rule of thirds. One can always play a little with the amounts of the dark lower third, and the sky upper third. Perhaps you could have included a bit more sky and a little less of the lower third to make it more closely thirds. However, I think the portions you chose are very effective.

Hopefully some others will comment.

First of all, as someone who often sets my alarm while on vacation in order to get up and take sunrise pictures, I say good for you. In photography the early bird does indeed get the worm, as you did here.

Part of me says a little detail of the hills would've been nice, but then a part of me says detail of the hills would've taken away the emphasis on the beautiful light rays. How's that for sitting on the fence?

You mentioned the flash setting. Sorry if I'm mentioning something you already know, but the flash on most cameras will only illuminate objects up to about 15 feet away. So even if it had fired, it wouldn't have lit up anything in your picture.

I like the narrow area of light in this photo, a bit of mystery and intrigue. I would have tried to bracket this shot, to see if there couldn't be more detail in the mountains without blowing out the highlights or losing the drama of the great light, but overall, I'm fine with the dark feel.

Compositionally, perhaps a little tighter to the light, but otherwise, a great comp and a great photo!

Ridgewalker,

Nice job gettign up early to get this one. Although the late winter sunrise does make things a bit easier, huh?

I like the black foreground and minimalist approach. Nice use of the panoramic format too. I hope you don't mind, but I saved your image and cropped it a little tighter. In my opinion there was a little too much empty space in the first version. Let me know what you think of this crop:

rw-pano-edit.jpg

- darren

Hey Darren,

Thanks for taking a look at the photo, I'm glad you liked it. That's fine you cropped the picture, it looks better now than it before. The sunrise is actually part of a panoramic taken at the time and they are on my webshots page, you are more than welcome to take a look. Again, thanks for taking the time to analyze the photo.
Regards,

Ridgewalker