MSR Snowshoes and foot pain

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bindings on MSR's attach to the deck with a metal bar/pin, don't they?

I would try borrowing some 'shoes that rotate on a band of nylon or other material and see if that makes a difference.

Whatever the root cause, it may be that having something hard and rigid underfoot is focusing too much pressure in a specific area.

Thanks, everyone. I'm thinking I need to push my right foot back a bit, that's the one that gives me the most pain, its also my leading leg.

No, not a snowballing issue but that's a good thought.

I wore Koflach's yesterday and began to feel the pain even with those on after the end of the day, so maybe I've got a bone spur or something forming. Doesn't sound like this is a common complaint.

I'll play around with where I put my foot and see if that takes the pressure off.

Next snowshoes will be the new Tubbs Flex, though, they really have some nice features!

I really like my tubbs, not the flex ones but the foot strap is cool and easy to use. Maybe the boot stop is an idea as to give support ,right..

That's what it was for me too, the strap over my foot would cause some pain on the descent.

Since there's no defined stop for the front of your boot (like there is on Tubbs snowshoes), have you tried positioning your feet a little farther forward or farther back in the shoes? Seems like there's some room to play around with that on the MSRs....

Had thought of buying another pair and making them the Msr brand but those flex ones look nice too and now they have the side grip where as my tubbs just have the toe and heal crampon. I have been saying for two yrs that i want to add a side rail to my tubbs for lateral grip, just havent taken the time or figured it out on how to attach it with strenght to stay.

It happened to me yesterday on the Kinsmans. Maybe it was the hard packed trail. Only on my left foot --right under the base of my middle toe. Tells me maybe that shoe strap was a little too tight??

That's where I mostly get it, but it has happened even when not wearing snowshoes, so for me anyway the snowshoes are not the problem. Big ouch, though. I think it may be related to the inflexibilty of the footwear. Are your boots rigid?

...I'm thinking I need to push my right foot back a bit, that's the one that gives me the most pain, its also my leading leg...

I have MSRs and flexible boots (Columbia Ice Crushers), so I'm interested in this. You mentioned your "leading leg".

???

What does that mean?

Thanks.

Last edited:
I make annual visits to the foot doctor to check the progression of a problem with my right foot. I have elected against surgery because this would put me out of hiking (and driving) for some time, and life is too short.
I add dividers in the proper places, which prevent damge when hiking.

But to get back to this subject, The ball of the foot needs to flatten out when pressure is placed on that foot. If your MSR bindings are too tight at the middle set of straps, the foot is compressed and the ball cannot flatten.
I know this from experience with my MSR s. After a long hike with too tight bindings when you walk around in your bare feet you will feel that swollen ball.

I think I do need to pay a little closer attention when I am putting them on. :)

Funny you should say that, that was one of the reasons I decided to get the Tubbs Flex Alps. I loved the MSRs for their lightness and great traction, but I'm so spacey sometimes that I'd end up putting my foot too far forward, and my boot would then hit the front of the snowshoe....or I'd put them on so the foot placement wasn't the same on each shoe, and then walking was awkward. I just found myself spending too much time figuring out how to get them on right. I need an idiot-proof snowshoe. ;)

Last edited:
Insoles

Sabrina - do you use any insole liners on your boots? Perhaps different ones than you might use in your summer hiking boots? Maybe it's causing too little/too much arch flex, which I sometimes feel in the ball of my foot.

Thread drift alert

IIMHO Idiot Proof Snowshoe? - Hard to beat the original Sherpa design with the tucker claw and the rear crampons that they came out near the end. I rarely if ever heard of them failing and the binding could be adjusted to fit almost any size foot or size of boot. They used to be "required" for AMC winter school.

The reason they went out of business seems to be that they rarely sold replacements for failed shoes and the old ones tended to stay in circulation for many years cutting down on their potential market and they were twice the price of conventional snowshoes. They had the patent on the steel pin pivoting binding and once it was up, other companies figured out how to make shoes that were almost as good for less money. The company tried to come out with newer versions with patentable features but it was hard to beat the original design, I believe that a company in Canada still makes a lookalike for people who earn theri living working in the woods. (mohamed has posted a link in the past).

You can get a pretty reproducible fit by locking the rear strap with a nut and bolt or a cable tie. Then when you put them on you push your heel back as far as it can go and tighten the straps from toe towards arch.

Tim

You can get a pretty reproducible fit by locking the rear strap with a nut and bolt or a cable tie. Then when you put them on you push your heel back as far as it can go and tighten the straps from toe towards arch.

Tim

Tim is right. Makes everything more simple. BUT ,if you use a cable tie, make sure it is a heavy-duty one. I had one break on me last weekend and had to go back to initially adjusting the shoe.

I've recently noticed that some cable ties are labeled for inside use and others are for inside/outside use...

Tim is right. Makes everything more simple. BUT ,if you use a cable tie, make sure it is a heavy-duty one. I had one break on me last weekend and had to go back to initially adjusting the shoe.

Very easy to carry a few as spares and no tools required. They are useful for fixing, attaching, tying a variety of things.

Tim

My MSRs will need to be beyond repair before I shell out another $200 on snowhoes. :) Hiking is the only addiction I have that is fully geared...:p

Fully geared? What's that? ;)

Seriously, some people told me I was crazy when I bought new snowshoes to replace ones that were still working fine. I may be a gear addict. Are there rehab centers for that? :D

BobC, if you locate a rehab center please forward the name & contact info.

I need it.

:)

Have you considered cross application of that addiction? I am fully geared for hiking, yet there is still plenty of ski gear, running gear, cycling gear, pilates apparel, etc etc for me to acquire...:D...and then there are those ski passes and monthly membership fees...

Don't get me started! I just recently got back into skiing (mostly so I could bring my kids skiing), after a 17-year hiatus. Now I have to replace those old straight skis so I don't have to keep renting. I just spent $400 on new ski gear for just one of my kids. Next, there's the second kid, then me, then I'll have to see if my wife is interested. I won't have any money left for hiking gear. :)