Mt. Isolation Advice

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lower Rocky Branch is more than likely going to become more and more tedious. With low maintenance already and the Bridge being removed one will sure to want to pick and choose the time of their hike.

The bridge at the parking area? I thought they did replace it after the problems in was it 2018? 2019? Have we wondering if it was earlier than 2018 that I did the RBT/Iso/Davis Loop. The bridge was definitely there when I did it.

EDIT: I did the loop 7/23/17. So is the bridge gone again?? I don't believe I have been there since that hike. NH Trails road status report does show "Rocky Branch Road" closed since DEC 2017. I thought that was Jericho Rd? So has that section of trail been re-trashed too? I thought it had been OK since the Irene 2011 damage and reopening.

Last edited:
When I was there last the bridge was fine, it was the approaches and 1/4 mile of the road bed south of there that were not in such good shape.

The bridge at the parking area? I thought they did replace it after the problems in was it 2018? 2019? Have we wondering if it was earlier than 2018 that I did the RBT/Iso/Davis Loop. The bridge was definitely there when I did it.

EDIT: I did the loop 7/23/17. So is the bridge gone again?? I don't believe I have been there since that hike. NH Trails road status report does show "Rocky Branch Road" closed since DEC 2017. I thought that was Jericho Rd? So has that section of trail been re-trashed too? I thought it had been OK since the Irene 2011 damage and reopening.

I believe Ken MacGray would be the one to answer this question most appropriately.

The bridge is still there. The problem is that the soil around the abutment has been washed away so it is either very difficult or impossible to get up on the bridge. When we hiked it a few years ago it was easier to just rock hop across the river. At higher water levels this would also be difficult.

My guess is the FS would rather not haul in lots of gravel to fill in the major rut in the road and the bridge approaches until they need to. The prior road and trailhead was way to close to the Rocky Branch shelter and campsite. The road already is used by transients to camp and I expect having a nearly drive up campground and shelter would be an attractive nuisance. By leaving the gate and trailhead where it currently is located it means a far longer walk in from the parking lot. The extra walk is trivial to a hiker but a bit more of PITA for lazy folks hauling coolers in. Note in the good old days a 1/2 mile walk up an old road with a cooler would be trivial ;)

While there is no "easy" way to reach Isolation, the Rocky Branch option, as many have suggested, is "easier." To experience Glen Boulder Trail and see the big rock for which it's named, the loop around the Gulf of Slides is a great hike. Starting at Pinkham Notch, take Tuckerman Ravine Trail then turn left on Boott Spur Trail and follow to the 5,500 foot summit of Boott Spur which is a worthy destination. Turn left on Davis Path and then left again to descend via Glen Boulder Trail passing Slide Peak and coming to Glen Boulder. At the bottom, turn left and follow the Direttissima Trail back to Pinkham Notch. This is a great loop hike that doesn't get a lot of ink because Boott Spur is not an official 4k. It works in the other direction as well. Caveat: descending Glen Boulder might be hard on balky knees.

I'm not sure whether this will be helpful to you or even relevant, but... I've enjoyed starting at the cog station and going up Ammo to Lakes (much of he climbing is condensed into a short, very steep section); then across Camel Trail to Davis Path and down to the Isolation Path. It's very scenic most of the way and while there's a lot of up and down there aren't so many interminably long and painful grades; it seems more like a mixture of gentle grades and wicked steep but not horribly long sections... Have fun!

I'm not sure whether this will be helpful to you or even relevant, but... I've enjoyed starting at the cog station and going up Ammo to Lakes (much of he climbing is condensed into a short, very steep section); then across Camel Trail to Davis Path and down to the Isolation Path. It's very scenic most of the way and while there's a lot of up and down there aren't so many interminably long and painful grades; it seems more like a mixture of gentle grades and wicked steep but not horribly long sections... Have fun!
I also did Isolation via this route. A bit long, but the Camel Trail was very nice. (Also included Monroe--after all, it was hardly off-route...)

Doug