Mt. Moosilauke, Aug 30, 2009 -- NH48 finish

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wonderful Trip Report, and wonderful accomplishment for the two of you. Congratulations! :) I am sure that Alex will continue to enjoy the mountains, and who knows where that might take her. And, how will Sage decide to 'top' her sister?? Time will tell.

Awesome!

I am sure that Alex will continue to enjoy the mountains, and who knows where that might take her. And, how will Sage decide to 'top' her sister?? Time will tell!

Alex and Sage could find themselves in a different bracket and not get to play one another in the finals, like the Williams sisters at this year's U.S. Open?

Congrats again, Trish and Alex (I also posted earlier in the Events thread).

Congratulations Trish & Alex!

finally, the elusive Moolilauke!!

It's been fun reading about your adventures

Here's to many many more wonderful years of hikes together

The Finish-Moosilauke

Trish and Alex,

Congratulations to you both on completing your goal of the 48's. We've had a grand time since the beginning following you on the quest. The first few paragraphs of your trip report says it all. Thanks for taking us along. Now that the pressures off - what's in the future?

Also, many terrific pictures have been posted by others of your achievement!

Little D:)

Trish and Alex,

Congratulations on reaching the 48! Although we have only met once on the trails, I have followed your reports and progress for months. Thanks for sharing your story.

Take care
Petch

Hi everyone,

Thank you for the generous outpouring of well-wishes and support. I appreciate all these posts of congratulations!

What's next? Well, there's only one weekend in Sept that both girls and I can hike together (and I need to spend more time with Sage).

Alex has told me she wants to do some more winter peaks, and that she wants to hike 4Ks again with other people (especially kids) who are trying to finish their NH48 list.

If there are any of you with kids (of any age) who are hiking 4Ks and want company, please let us know.

Congratulations

Congratulations on a job well done! I got hooked on reading your blog and trip reports a while back. Glad to hear you're planning more hikes. Hope to see you on the trail some day.

Belated congratulations! My wife was gaga over the adorable photos of Alex.

I was actually hoping to make it up Moosilauke with my son on Saturday, but you picked a much better day for the big finish.

ShoestoViews, NorthShore, and Gillian -- thank you! :)

To all who joined us for our Finish, I apologize for not saying this earlier --

THANK YOU!! You all made our "last" hike very speical indeed. Alex has said repeatedly that it was the best day of her whole life, even better than Christmas or her birthday. Seeing all those people on the summit was wonderful. Thank you all for the support.

Alex has said repeatedly that it was the best day of her whole life, even better than Christmas or her birthday.

Wow! Sounds like one special little girl! Nice goin', mom. Thoroughly enjoyed reading the TR and seeing the pics. BTW, wanting to finish together with Alex sounded anything but selfish to me. Congratulations to both of you!

Congratulations Trish & Alex!!!

We have witnessed a rare and beautifully inspirational journey! Truly unique that someone would include their young child in their first time through the list of NH 4K peaks and beautiful that they did. They learned together along the way, hiking in all months and sharing the path through the seasons in the blog they created. This is how I came to know them and anxiously awaited their latest adventure. I finally was able to meet them in person during BobC’s finish on Madison. Alex was full of energy yet witty and mature beyond her years. Her mother Trish at first seems stern but is warm and compassionate, caring about people and things all around her. Later this year we hiked Owl’s Head together with Mad River. When I went over to the yearling moose to comfort it, check its condition and coax it into the woods they were both asking me to be careful and not get hurt.

Trish and Alex you are an amazing and fun team to hike with. I envy the bond you have strengthened between each other by sharing this long journey! Together you have warmed hearts and inspired many others. It was a privilege and pleasure to hike with you and your family as you summited #48. Trish your thorough planning and endurance to accomplish this is beyond comparison! Alex please keep the blog alive in some form because it will be fun to share you adventures as you get older and have different views and accomplishments! Thank you for sharing your path!

Slideshow of my pics:http://good-times.webshots.com/slideshow/574456230MhJnNu

Last edited:
PA Ridgerunner, thanks for your kind comments. :)

DaveBear, thanks for posting the link to those pictures. They're wonderful. Thanks also for the kind words. I probably did come across as stern much of the time. For the two of us to go through this journey together, one thing had to be understood -- what I say goes, she simply had to do what I said in certain situations or she ran the risk of getting hurt and then there we'd be, a long way from help. Each step on every hike there was a huge part of me constantly preoccupied with her safety.

Most of the time we had great fun, and sometimes we were downright giddy (descents from Wildcat A and Liberty spring to mind). Other times I was strict for safety's sake (no talking going down slides), and a few times we just got on each other's nerves as normal mother-daughters do (the Kinsmans and Cannon were prime examples, we bickered every tenth of a mile on those three mountains..:rolleyes:). I hope all that is normal, and that she looks back on all this fondly.

I'm glad you hiked with us, and I hope to hike with you again (Flags?). Alex won't be back out there for a few weeks, then it will be something relatively short with Sage. In early October we hope to do a VT peak, then maybe repeat a NH 4K. We'll see what happens.

a truely amazing journey..a great sequence of stories and adventures that culminated on Moosilauke last weekend..

I have enjoyed following the entire journey..after hiking with my 11 year old nephew for three days running this past week I have a better understanding of the special challange of hiking with children..my hats off to the both of you

a couple of pics in celebration

http://www.flickr.com/photos/silverfox777/sets/72157622232954046/

Last edited: