Mt. Tremont

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It was in good shape on my birthday (Aug 21, 2021). Although TBH we did not go all the way to Tremont, just to the cliff. I'd like to go back and get the rest. Even the forest service road from Bear Notch was nice. Good way to spend a birthday.

I have fond recollections of Tremont. When my friend an I hiked it over a decade ago, we approached it from the Kanc via the Sawyer River Trail>Greens Cliff (traverse)>Sawyer Pond Trail>Sawyer Pond>Tremont-Owls Cliff col>Brunel Trail. It was mid-November, so the last bit of light left us shortly after summiting Tremont. I cherish the memory of watching an occasional pair of headlights and tailights wind their way along the distant Kanc in the pitch black. We took the Brunel Trail>FR35>Bear Notch Rd., with a detour to summit Owls Cliff. Back then the Brunel Trail, at least the upper section, was easy enough to follow with headlamps. Our over-ambitious itinerary included Bartlett Haystack and possibly Bear Mountain, but the traverse of Greens Cliff was slower-going than expected, so BH and Bear had to wait for another day.

I did the hike from RT 302 to Rob Brook road via the Mt Tremont Trail and the Brunel trail. I did saw a few blowdowns on the lower section of Mt Tremont trail before the brook crossing. The Brunel Trail is in excellent shape but is very steep and somewhat gravely heading down to the col. No switchbacks, mostly fall line trail. I had poles which helped but without them there is potential for slipping.

I did the hike from RT 302 to Rob Brook road via the Mt Tremont Trail and the Brunel trail. I did saw a few blowdowns on the lower section of Mt Tremont trail before the brook crossing. The Brunel Trail is in excellent shape but is very steep and somewhat gravely heading down to the col. No switchbacks, mostly fall line trail. I had poles which helped but without them there is potential for slipping.
BTW, Plenty of folks on Mt Tremont trail but zero people on the Brunell Trail.

I used to do Tremont from the Kanc and never saw another hiker.