Mt. Washington ascents?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sierra

Reaction score
There is a guy in the 4k groups with 107 ascents of Washington. People are asking if it is a record. Doesnt that guy Chris Daily (sp) have more than that? Just curious if anyone knows someone with a lot of ascents.

Surely Ed Hawkins has more than that: his 48x12 bio page says he finished his 100th round in July 2019. I ran into him twice on trails in 2021, and the most recent accomplishment listed on his site is from Feb 2022 -- hope he's still hiking nowadays.

Also on the site, Tim Muskat finished his 8th grid this month, so that's at least 96 rock pile ascents.

Somewhat related: my partner's uncle is a retired Baxter SP Ranger. I recently asked him, how many times have you climbed The Mountain. He paused, thought about it, and said, "Maybe four to five hundred times."

Last edited:
Is that Eric Todd Sweet? He seemed to be on a kick doing Washington this Summer. He was basically hiking it every day. Whatever floats your boat I guess.

As far as the 107 I'm sure many people have done it more than that. I think even I've done it like 40 times and I've only been a "serious" hiker for about 10 years. I'm pretty sure there was a Redline Guide who did his 100th summit of Washington in the past year or so if I recall on their FB page, and I think his favorite route was Pinnacle Gully. With all the local hikers and grid hikers as was previously mentioned I'd suspect the list of 100+ is fairly large. I ran into a guy in his 70's last year who claimed to hike the Huntington Ravine Trail to the summit every other week (I don't think he did Winter if I remember right). Based on how effortlessly he passed me coming down the sketchy sections of Lion Head in the trees I tend to believe him.

I live locally but for about 20 years I refused to hike to the summit. I would hike up the summit cone several times a year but with the exception of full presidential traverses, I would much rather take the west side trail.

Myself and one of my hiking/running friends from Jackson have summited Washington over two hundred times, and I'm sure there are other locals who have hiked it twice that amount and so on and so on.

As for Eric Todd Sweet (mentioned above), I have bumped into him few times on the trails, not just Washington, he is a very high energy dude and always in a great mood, always wanting to talk, and just loves being out in the woods. He has gotten to know quite a few of the Cog workers, as that is the route he takes up and down when he heads to the summit. He chats up the passengers on the train, will wait in line at the summit with the tourists, and take random selfies with them.

Good overall guy, if you ever see him on the trail you'll leave laughing with a smile on your face.

-Chris

Myself and one of my hiking/running friends from Jackson have summited Washington over two hundred times, and I'm sure there are other locals who have hiked it twice that amount and so on and so on.

As for Eric Todd Sweet (mentioned above), I have bumped into him few times on the trails, not just Washington, he is a very high energy dude and always in a great mood, always wanting to talk, and just loves being out in the woods. He has gotten to know quite a few of the Cog workers, as that is the route he takes up and down when he heads to the summit. He chats up the passengers on the train, will wait in line at the summit with the tourists, and take random selfies with them.

Good overall guy, if you ever see him on the trail you'll leave laughing with a smile on your face.

-Chris
One of my friends met him last year on the Carters and said the same.

It depends on what you consider an "ascent," but consider the caretakers who live in Harvard Cabin full-time. They are usually avid climbers who go up one ravine or another almost every day. That would get you about a hundred ascents in a single season, and it's hardly unheard of for the same person to hold the job for a few years in a row.

How low do you need to start from As mentioned the Harvard cabin winter caretakers climb alot. AMC croos at Lakes, OBS employees? Obviously some minimum threshold is needed

-Chris
Yes, that is the guy. I thought you had over 200 wasn't sure. I'm up there a lot, but I have never joined the cliques, that many of you guys belong too. NH chronicle actually featured that guy Todd on an episode and yes, he seems quite nice and engaging as well.