Must be a new Moderator in town.

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks, Tim for all your work!

I'm glad VFTT lives! But I am a little concerned about Xenforo. The only forum site I used to visit that used Xenforo was the now defunct NEIce forum page. It was constantly invaded by bots, frequently down for repair, and it became too much work to keep up with repairs, which is why it's gone. I worry that I am seeing that here already.

I would caution users not to post ANY kind of personal information in this new VFTT (like emails or phone numbers) for this reason.

Thanks, Tim for all your work!

I'm glad VFTT lives! But I am a little concerned about Xenforo. The only forum site I used to visit that used Xenforo was the now defunct NEIce forum page. It was constantly invaded by bots, frequently down for repair, and it became too much work to keep up with repairs, which is why it's gone. I worry that I am seeing that here already.

I would caution users not to post ANY kind of personal information in this new VFTT (like emails or phone numbers) for this reason.

Must have been a bad install because xF is pretty much the gold standard now for current forum software.

OK, thanks. I hope our experience with Xenforo is good.

Thanks again Tim, for your hard work.

Alan "Techadmin", there is a problem you need to fix. (Other users should be aware of this.)

The forum software deposits a bot or some kind of malware every time a user logs in. I have tested this and confirmed it several times now:

If I "view" the forum, there is no effect.

If I log in to the forum, and log back out, I get a security message from Chrome and gmail. When I attempt to log in to gmail after logging in and out of the forum, I get a message from gmail that Chrome is "not secure." I have NEVER seen this message before; it has appeared ONLY after logging in and out of the "new VFTT."

When I clear all history and cookies, and close Chrome and then re-open it, this message goes away.

So the "new VFTT" is absolutely depositing some sort of malware. But whatever it is Chrome can get rid of it with the basic "Clear History" function.

FYI I am on a desktop PC, running Windows 10 and Chrome, all fully updated and powered off every night, and every time I finish with Chrome I run the "Clear History" function. So I don't think this is a problem on my end.

Alan "Techadmin", there is a problem you need to fix. (Other users should be aware of this.)

The forum software deposits a bot or some kind of malware every time a user logs in. I have tested this and confirmed it several times now:

If I log in to the forum, and log back out, I get a security message from Chrome and gmail. When I attempt to log in to gmail after logging in and out of the forum, I get a message from gmail that Chrome is "not secure." I have NEVER seen this message before; it has appeared ONLY after logging in and out of the "new VFTT."

When I clear all history and cookies, and close Chrome and then re-open it, this message goes away.

So the "new VFTT" is absolutely depositing some sort of malware. But whatever it is Chrome can get rid of it with the basic "Clear History" function.

FYI I am on a desktop PC, running Windows 10 and Chrome, all fully updated and powered off every night, and every time I finish with Chrome I run the "Clear History" function. So I don't think this is a problem on my end.
Interesting. I'm a Windows 10 / Gmail / Chrome user and have not observed this issue. Do you run antivirus software? Maybe mine is preventing the issue?

Yes, I'm running Avast Antivirus, and Malwarebytes anti malware software, both fully updated. I don't have any trouble with any other websites.

I think this is a cookie that Xenforo is depositing. Not the end of the world, but the software should ask users whether they want to accept cookies.

While on the subject...

About half the time, when I log out, I get the "login" page, as expected.

And about half the time, when I log out, the main page still shows me as logged in, but when I try to do pretty much anything, I get a message stating that there is a problem, and to hit the "back" button, and then "refresh". I do that, but the problem simply repeats until I close the browser. When I re-open the browser and navigate to the main page, it shows me as logged out. Disconcerting.

Windows 10 Pro & Edge.

TomK

Yea that’s not true what so ever. I host 100 forums including massive forums like HomebrewTalk.com, ArboristSite.com, RocketryForum.com. There is no reports of malware and no way for that to even happen form a technical perspective with our setup.

Post detailed screen shots of this so we can all see what you are talking about.

Here you go:

This is the Google security alert that says Chrome is "not secure."

1677432146409.png

Attachments

• 1677432111180.png
    1677432111180.png
    53.6 KB · Views: 0
And this is from the "learn more" page from Google:

1677432289255.png

And again, this ONLY appears after logging in and out of the new VFTT. Never seen it before; never see in any other situation. Hard to believe it isn't somehow connected.

It's not relevant at all to this website. You just posted screen shots of Google. It might be helpful if you have a grandkid who is pretty tech savvy go over what you are doing and walk you through it. Would be easier on the phone probably then through text.

Wow! "It might be helpful if you have a grandkid who is pretty tech savvy" New admin insults user. :rolleyes:

OK. Whatever...

I can certainly work around this minor issue. :sleep:

Sorry if felt that was insulting, it was not the intention at all. It doesn't seem like you are technical so having someone in your life help you on the phone would be easier. What are you posting is not relevant to this website, that is Google. Having someone help you login to Google would be outside the realm of what I can assist with.

Sorry if felt that was insulting, it was not the intention at all. It doesn't seem like you are technical so having someone in your life help you on the phone would be easier. What are you posting is not relevant to this website, that is Google. Having someone help you login to Google would be outside the realm of what I can assist with.
With all due respect, that statement is extraordinarily condescending and obnoxious. Not sure how you could have intended it any other way. Your apology isn't exactly much of an apology either. I think you'll find in time that there are people on this forum that know quite a bit about a great many things, including your area of expertise, so the "I'm right and your a moron so end of discussion" approach to replies won't last very long. Just my 2 cents....

"Yea that’s not true what so ever."

"It might be helpful if you have a grandkid who is pretty tech savvy go over what you are doing and walk you through it."

"It doesn't seem like you are technical ..."

Wow.

Are you reading back to yourself what you write before posting it? These are incredibly dismissive and insulting statements.

If you are unable to respond to users' questions and concerns in a professional manner, can we get someone else who can?