Must be a new Moderator in town.

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skiguy

Reaction score
Judging by today's new look I assume Tim has relinquished his moderator/ administrator reponsibilities. Thank you for Tim's hard work over the last ten years and welcome to the new guy. If I'm wrong on this I do like the new look anyhow.

After careful consideration of the options available, and several attempts to find someone who could run it as a "favor" to the community, I opted to transfer it to an entity that specializes in operating and promoting forums. The only remaining option was for it to fade into oblivion. There will be ads, but VFTT continues to live, will be promoted, maintained, upgraded, etc. There is no "kitty" to refill, and what little remained of your generosity will be spent on a nice single malt. I trust nobody will object :)

I will allow the new management to announce/promote themselves at their convenience.

Enjoy,
Tim

Makes me feel young again. I'm a New Member after 18 years of participation.

Oh. It just changed. Now I'm Active.

What am I missing? Is there a way to edit and or delete a post you have published?

I see a few options across the bottom left - depends on the style - or ... with a down arrow on mobile - where you can report, edit, delete...

Tim
Thanks for that info. Was not seeing it with Microsoft edge but appears in Chrome.

It's there in Edge too. I am writing this reply using Edge . . . regularly I do use Chrome. On Safari + Mobile, it's got a three dot dropdown.

Tim
Yes your right. Must have been that single malt I had last night that gave me the brain fart. So far I'm liking this new look.

After careful consideration of the options available, and several attempts to find someone who could run it as a "favor" to the community, I opted to transfer it to an entity that specializes in operating and promoting forums. The only remaining option was for it to fade into oblivion. There will be ads, but VFTT continues to live, will be promoted, maintained, upgraded, etc. There is no "kitty" to refill, and what little remained of your generosity will be spent on a nice single malt. I trust nobody will object :)

I will allow the new management to announce/promote themselves at their convenience.

Enjoy,
Tim
Yes, Thank you for the many years of volunteering!!

Hi All,

You are getting a taste of the reasons (pro or con) for referral memberships, and for human moderation. The former was a contributor to the lack of new blood. Other things in my life are filling up the time I used to have for care and feeding of VFTT... hence my resigning.

What I know so far is that the new owners have a technical resource who was assigned to migrate and get the forum operational on their infrastructure and that they will shortly put their community of moderators in the forum to help with the spam.

For what it's worth, the spam filtering is actually catching a lot of stuff - far more is being held for spam than is actually getting through. And, as you've apparently discovered, you can help by marking things as spam :)

Tim

I've been reading as a lurker forever but never knew anybody to ask for a reference and therefore never got the chance to sign up. It looks like perhaps this was an opportunity, so I took it. Hopefully that is ok with the good people here. I probably won't post often, but I occasionally have questions and sometimes even have answers for questions that I see posted, so hopefully I'll add some value to the forum. I don't do other social media, so as the forums have been dying a slow death over the past decade, I've kind of been left with nowhere good to post.

I dont pretend to know the background of running a forum but some forum software imposes "training wheels" on new members to reduce spam. I think it prevents new members from starting a thread until they have been active a bit and also stops inserting links for some other period of time. Doesnt take me long to click on report and type in "spam". The system can work as long as the members can differentiate between spam and posts they do not like as then it becomes a judgment call on the moderators part.

Many years ago some school kids from an English boarding school were posting all sorts of crap. The mods tracked the IP address back to the school and copied the administrator of the school. I think they were very interested in what the students were doing and no more crap postings.