Must be a new Moderator in town.

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You're not wrong, Peakbagger. The way this system works is that it pools together many sources over the collection of sites this group operates, among other sources. There are "known" spammer domains and IPs that are filtered on that alone. Then, new members will get a score, based on several factors, like you all reporting spam, and moderators approving or reporting, and that way when the score goes positive, they no longer need approval to post and can put together links, etc.

I am assisting in the transfer, answering questions, and providing introductions but I am not taking any actions on my own, on purpose.

The spam message you all reported disappeared from my logged out view although they are still visible to me since I am still technically a moderator.

Tim

You're not wrong, Peakbagger. The way this system works is that it pools together many sources over the collection of sites this group operates, among other sources. There are "known" spammer domains and IPs that are filtered on that alone. Then, new members will get a score, based on several factors, like you all reporting spam, and moderators approving or reporting, and that way when the score goes positive, they no longer need approval to post and can put together links, etc.

I am assisting in the transfer, answering questions, and providing introductions but I am not taking any actions on my own, on purpose.

The spam message you all reported disappeared from my logged out view although they are still visible to me since I am still technically a moderator.

Tim
Thanks for everything Tim!

You need to go to settings and turn off all the emails. (I must be missing one though because I keep getting an email every time somebody replies to this thread.)

I admit to being a bit of a curmudgeon. But mostly, I object to being told I opted into something that I didn't opt into.

OK, I went into "Preferences", and de-selected each of the three e-mail options. But I wonder if I have now cut myself off from, for example, getting an e-mail with a new password in the event that I forget my password, and need to reset it.

I de-selected "Receive push notification when a new conversation message is received".

I also deselected all of the pre-checked checkboxes under "Receive a notification when someone...".

There is a checkbox for "Disable advertising". I haven't selected it. I have no big objection to seeing ads, if that is what funds the forum. Is there any downside to disabling advertising? Does it reduce features I may have? If everyone disables ads, does the forum run out of money and go away?

Sorry to be such a PITA, but that's one of the things I do best :)

TomK

nice. I have not logged in here as often as in the past but it was not due to any issues with the forum. It just was. Life goes on and I am glad this forum continues to live. Hello everybody! :) 52701495849_e110b42897_k.jpg

Is everybody receiving an email every time somebody posts in a thread that they are "watching"? I get an email every time somebody posts in this thread even though I shut off all emails in "preferences".

My guess its push notifications?

I have found one major plus with the swap in forum software. This text editor does not have the annoying auto guess on how to complete a thought when typing. I appeared on the old VFTT software a month or two ago and despite trying a few things in the browser settings, I never could get rid of it.

Is everybody receiving an email every time somebody posts in a thread that they are "watching"? I get an email every time somebody posts in this thread even though I shut off all emails in "preferences".
I got only one email since signing up yesterday, and that one simply listed all the newer postings to things - kind of like a digest. Not certain where it was mentioned (if at all) during sign up, but that's OK - if it becomes too annoying, I'm sure there is a link in it somewhere to how to stop getting it (like most messages from groups have).

Hey everyone! I am Alan and I am here to help with anything technical.

If you haven't seen, everyone can disable ads here: https://www.vftt.org/account/preferences

If you don't want the newsletter, please click Unsubscribe in the footer of the newsletter and it will do so forever.

Xenforo once dialed in should eliminate all spam.

Hey everyone! I am Alan and I am here to help with anything technical.

If you haven't seen, everyone can disable ads here: https://www.vftt.org/account/preferences

If you don't want the newsletter, please click Unsubscribe in the footer of the newsletter and it will do so forever.

Xenforo once dialed in should eliminate all spam.

Do you know how I can stop emails for watched threads? I've unclicked every single place where email was an option under preferences, but continue to receive emails whenever somebody responds to this thread. I've also disabled push notifications and unselected those as well in the long list.

https://www.vftt.org/account/preferences
So go there and uncheck these and I think Watched Threads ....

View attachment 6975

I've unchecked the one on top which disabled all of them (push remains checked on each one in the list, but they are "grayed out" and I cannot deselect them as they are not clickable. In any case, I believe a push notification is a notification that comes through the devices operating system, and shouldn't have anything to do with email. For now I'll just filter anything from the domain and route it a different folder. That should be fine, and I'll worry about figuring it out only if it becomes unmanageable.